5.0 out of 5 stars Chris
I recommend this book if, like me, you have spent time, effort and money trying to figure out how to remove your excess weight and have better all-round health.

This book is the second from Gary Taubes that I have read. The first `Good Calories, Bad Calories' (or The Diet Delusion here in the UK) is long, at nearly 600 pages, expects a knowledge and...
Published on 30 Dec 2010 by C. Hilder

2.0 out of 5 stars Not really suitable for non-meat-eaters
The science seems convincing but there is no solution offered to creating a do-able low-carb diet without large amounts of meat. Dairy is frowned on in this plan, nuts and pulses don't get sufficient mention.
Published 5 months ago by Claire M

‹ Previous | 1 2 318 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Personal experiment still going on - returning good health, 27 Sep 2011
Shifting paradigms (fundamental ways of thinking) seems to have become a way of life for me, at least over the last 12 months. This is basically what Gary Taubes is attempting to do. Having had stents fitted after a heart attack nearly 11 months ago I was left several months later wondering how the hell I was going to recover from feeling as though I was getting older by the day, piling on even more weight (I had gone up from about 15st 4lbs (214 pounds) to 16-2 (226 pounds)), forgetful and unable to concentrate. In the excess weight stakes I appreciate that I am relatively low, but never the less the same principles apply. The hospital had put me on 5 tablets a day and my local GP had continued repeating the tablet prescription which of course included statins (Lipitor). To cut a long story short I asked my GP if he would help me come off at least the statins. "They are for life' was his response. I had already started my own 'lay' research into the statins for I was aware of some controversy in their use. This I continued after my visit to the GP until I bought a number of books on cholesterol and saturated fats. The two seemed to go together but I eventually ended up at Gary Taubes book, and subsequently listened to the audio of this title. Being armed with his research added considerably to what I had learnt from Barry Groves and initially Malcolm Kendrick (on cholesterol). Sufficiently so that I decide to take things into my own hands, reduce the statins and embark on a low carb regime and increasing my fats (especially saturated fats). You will appreciate at this point some pretty hefty life long beliefs being thrown out the window here. I had had another visit to my GP which had ended up a bit of a battle on the good advice stakes, resulting in my totally losing confidence - but leaving me feeling rather vulnerable to say the least. Belief in a doctors advice when your life? seemed at stake?? Shifting paradigms I would suggest. His extensive research has kept me hopeful during a difficult period. More than that. I have lost 27 pounds. I have lost the spasms of eczema which had bothered me for around 5 years. I am now far fitter, think more clearly and have embarked on a mission.

I also believe that forms of stress have a part to play in all this for if we were perfectly attuned with our bodies (which we are rarely) then we would naturally sense what was good for us. I know that this puts a 'cat amongst the pigeons' but this should surely be part of much needed further research. If the reader wants to start at the beginning with the guy who in Victorian times incredulously said similar things to Gary Taubes then look up William Banting on Google. His book about what a low carb diet did for him sold for a shilling, it went to 4 editions and he gave the proceeds all to charity! There must be, a great deal more to this story to come. Many lives must be at stake! There are over 300 reviews to Gary Taubes book on Amazon.com and over 200 of them have 5 stars. Personally I believe that little further research is required to get the ball really moving, not until there are many more on board, and I am convinced that it will come, can a comprehensive research programme be initiated. There are many many many health issues here, indeed it has the potential to rewrite the medical books. Like all 'medicines', this is not for all or all at the same dose but I believe that there are many millions who would get benefit from finding their own 'lower' carb regime and to benefit so many ways not just weight loss. Further reading (again I bought the audio version coz the paperback isn't due out yet) is Wheat Belly' where the author puts the issue firmly at the feet of mega over indulgence of modern day refined wheat products. Genuinely best wishes to all who need that little help, many of you will find it here.

5.0 out of 5 stars The science of obesity, made simple., 12 Feb 2011
First things first. Gary Taubes is a highly acclaimed science writer. He has won many awards for his science writing and his book: "Bad Science: The Short Life and Weird Times of Cold Fusion" is endorsed by four Nobel prize winners no less! In short, I trust what he says.

He is not pushing a new diet fad. He's attempting to explain the science behind obesity in a clear and simple way, so that us mere mortals can understand it.

He spent over two years researching almost every article and research project on diet, nutrition and it's affect on health published over the last hundred years for his "Good calories, Bad calories" / "Diet delusion" book. I've read that book and it's VERY heavy going, but his conclusions are clear and hard to argue with.

This book is a much simplified version of that book. He's taken out most of the scientific references and simplified some of the science. The result is a much simpler and more readable book that has one clear and simple message: "If you want to lose weight, eat less carbohydrates". Whatever you do, don't follow the current nutritional advice of "low fat, high carbohydrate", it's based on some VERY bad science.

Don't be fooled by this books simplicity, he has FAR more evidence than he shows here.

If you are overweight, or suffer from diabetes, raised blood pressure, heart disease, etc. Then I strongly recommend that you read this book, it may just save your life!

BTW my copy was poorly bound too, but I was far more interested in the words rather than the pages.

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential reading, 16 Jan 2011
Lester (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I am so happy that this book not only lived up to expectations but exceeded them. It improves substantially upon The Diet Delusion/Good Calories, Bad Calories in terms of how well it's written. The arguments are much better focused as Taubes skilfully assembles his case against the current diet and nutrition paradigm. In particular his Adiposity 101 section is a masterclass in simplifying the science of fat metabolism. Unless the reader suspends critical thinking I really can't see how anyone could fail to find Taubes' position utterly compelling.

I think this book will be useful to people like myself who already endorse low-carb because it helps to clarify the arguments and will enable us to better articulate the sound scientific principles that underpin it. However, and perhaps more importantly, readers who may be skeptical or simply unaware of the causes of the current obesity epidemic will be shocked at the extent of the fraud that's been perpetrated on us by successive governments, scientists and medical authorities for the last forty years. It is truly staggering.

I hope you get this book and lend it out and encourage others to do the same. It's such an important message that it needs the widest possible audience.

5.0 out of 5 stars Possibly the most significant purchase you'll ever make., 9 April 2011
David (Holmfirth, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This book has quite simply changed my life.

Plain English, scientifically sound advice that turned everything I THOUGHT I knew about dieting on its head.

After ten years of trying to shed weight, I have now gone from 224 lb (16 stone) to 182 lb (13 stone)in three months.

I can't recommend it strongly enough. Read it cover to cover. The go back and use a marker on the most important bits. Then (once you've educated yourself to fully understand *why* you're doing it)change your way of eating to watch the pounds melt off.

Since buying this book I've bought four copies for other members of my family including my parents. For anyone who is struggling with obesity, it could literally be life saving.

5.0 out of 5 stars Important Book, 17 Aug 2011
J. Smith (Herefordshire) - See all my reviews
I have followed a low carbohydrate diet regime before with good success. However, I was never quite convinced that it was the healthiest thing to do. This book has put my mind at rest. The evidence seems overwhelming. I'm now 99% sure it would be unhealthy NOT to restrict carbohydrates. Everybody should read this book. It is too important to ignore.

5.0 out of 5 stars Some sense at last, 15 Jan 2011
I have to admit that on first opening my book I was disappointed with the quality. The pages are cut to different sizes and are ragged. For a new book I did expect a better 'finish'.

Once I got over that I got into the 'meat' of the book. Pun intended! Having suffered with diets and binging and continual weight increases each time a low fat diet was finished this is something different.

Over the past 3 years I have dropped 40lbs using a combination of Atkins, SB, leptin etc but I have been doing a lower calorie version. Staying at around 1200 cals a day.

According to this book the lower cal option is not necessary. As long as our carbs are low as in a ketogenic diet then our body will naturally drop the fat as the insulin will not be produced to keep it locked in the fat cells.

The best bit for me was the refuting of the 'you are obese because you eat too much.' He argues that it is the other way round. Because our hormones push so much of our calories into storage the cells that need energy are starving which is why we need to eat more to keep our cells functioning. There is an interesting connection I made there to binging. Binging is the ultimate fix for starving cells. The brain doing all it can to get enough food into the system. So obesity is a disease of malnutrition.

I would recommend any dieter to read this book and finally understand what is happening in their body. I still have difficulty getting around the fix for obesity which is to ingest more fat and oils. Will make a change from the semi starvation of the last 40 years!

5.0 out of 5 stars You Decide!, 4 Mar 2012
This review is from: Why We Get Fat: And What to Do about It (Mass Market Paperback)
There are two leading theories as to why we get fat; either people are greedy and lazy, or what they eat affects their hormones affects their weight. Gary Taubes provides evidence that the latter is the real reason people gain excess fat, a view that was becoming widely accepted before the second world war intervened.

A shortened, accessible book of Taube's earlier works, managing to cover key aspects. The health of our nation may benefit from such infomation in contrast to mainstream 'healthy eating' guidelines influenced by the food industry.

Good read; excellent value!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book I've read in years., 21 Jun 2013
aizomc27 (Belfast, N.Ireland) - See all my reviews
As a doctor, I thought I knew the basics of nutrition, metabolism and hormone regulation. But, being both intrigued and curious (and wanting to lose a few pounds myself) I decided to give this book a go.
The book has truly changed my way of thinking about what I put into my body. Since finishing, I have moved to a low carbohydrate diet and feel infinitely better. My energy has improved, I no longer feel fatigued after work and I have lost almost 7lbs in two weeks.
Buy this book, you won't be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars An easier read than Good Calories Bad Calories, 30 Dec 2010
This book felt a little like a synopsis of Good Calories Bad Calories and was just what I needed. GCBC was heavy going and sometimes it was quite hard to extrapolate the point that he was trying to get across. WWGF flowed well, the science was easy to follow and the "diet" given at the end was to the point and so simple that it brought home to me just how much junk is foisted onto us for two main reasons. One, to make money and two, so that no one has to admit they were wrong.
I read this on the kindle and, unlike some non fiction books on the kindle, the diagrams and photo's were legible.

5.0 out of 5 stars This works., 15 Jun 2012
Nearly all my adult life, I've bordered on overweight, with 25% body fat. I've exercised very hard for sustained periods of time, I've done calorie controlled diets, I've eaten wholegrains and wholemeal, I've spent a decade as a vegetarian, and I've followed the orthodox advice to the letter. I lost some weight (24lb at one time) then regained most of it. Ultimately, I settled for `this is how it is - I'm just built to be fat, and I'm going to have to work hard to just stop myself getting obese.'
Then, I went low carb, on a `primal living' regime. Result - the spare tyre melted away, my body fat is an acceptable 8 - 12%, I have more energy at 50 than at any time in the past 20 years, and I look good. (In fact, I look wonderful!)
This book explains WHY the `primal living' regime works.
But, I suggest you don't just take my word for it - try it; it works for me, whereas NOTHING ELSE HAS.

‹ Previous | 1 2 318 | Next ›

Why We Get Fat: And What to Do about It
Why We Get Fat: And What to Do about It by Gary Taubes (Mass Market Paperback - 20 Feb 2012)
Used & New from: £12.21