4.0 out of 5 stars Recommended reading for non-runners to improve the clarity of your mind
Running is a very popular pastime - supposed to be good for your body as well as pleasurable (maybe especially for the famed 'runner's high'). However, I am 69 years old and have never found any pleasure in any kind of sport, athletics or physical training - not even when I was young. So why buy this book? Well, someone I trust recommended it - knowing full well it is...
Published 19 months ago by M. Fahrenfort

2.0 out of 5 stars Collected cliches
To be fair, I only read half of the book, before looking for something interesting to read.

I wanted this to be about a Tibetan lama using mindfulness to overcome the challenges of long distance running. Instead. it reads like any American guy, running a marathon with the help of another marathon runner, a personal trainer, an osteopath and a G.P. all of which...
Published 10 months ago by cmaxwelll

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent meditative instruction, 17 April 2014
I had read some short books on running and meditation, but they only covered small aspects of the practice. Then I found this in my recommendations!

Sakyong Mipham is a Buddhist monk born of Tibetan parents who not only teaches and guides meditation in his religious practice but is a committed runner who has done a number of marathons etc. His writing style is very relaxed and he does not assume that everyone is an accomplished runner or that meditation is something that comes easily to most people. He ties in the instruction in this book with the four guardians of Shambala and explains how they relate in terms of meditation and running. Whilst I don't claim to be the worlds best runner or meditator, I have understood a great deal of his writing and find that I am becoming able to apply what he is teaching to my own running and meditation practices. The contemplations suggested are also useful when relaxing after yoga sessions or when I have a train journey and want to clear and focus my mind in a positive way.

I have thoroughly enjoyed reading this and personally feel that it has helped me with some aspects of my running and also my wellbeing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Running with the mind of meditation, 8 Feb 2014
After hitting a plateau with my marathon training, the meditation techniques in this book helped me focus again on running. Aspects also helped with my everyday life.

5.0 out of 5 stars I meditate therefore I run, 28 Dec 2013
This review is from: Running with the Mind of Meditation: Lessons for Training the Body and the Mind (Hardcover)
I liked the practical suggestions on how to apply meditation to the practice of running. The explanations of Tibetan Buddhist practice were really useful.
I would recommend this book to anyone that has a prior interest in meditation and has either already started running or is planning to as a way to use the time running to extend meditation to their running time.

4.0 out of 5 stars Get going, 17 Jun 2012
The book attracted me originally as I had previously run a lot but stopped due to study and many other commitments. I had also practiced mindfulness and meditation, but just got out of the habit. I had previously run two marathons and several half marathons,but since stopping and developing an under active thyroid have gained an enormous amount of weight,so was not running at all. However because previously we had enormous pleasure running and on a few occasions experienced what it was like to run at a level where it was effortless and at one with myself I wanted the motivation to get back to that place.the book has inspired me to get out running again, it's hard but I'm trying to build the base and improve.I'm also meditating or being mindful daily, it's not easy but nobody said it would be! Have got my old buddy Helen running with me, which is great and she's about to read the book. If you don't need motivating to run but want to get even more out of your running then the book is for you also to know and understand how to notice and appreciate the freedom running can give you enjoy it's great.

5.0 out of 5 stars inspirational, 11 Nov 2013
What an amazing book - it has really helped me with my running and the mind set you need to run longer distances especially. You do have to concentrate for the proper effect but it is a lifetime mission which you start when you turn the first page and start grading! If you want to learn and accept these wise words you will be rewarded.

4.0 out of 5 stars The joy of running, 17 Dec 2012
L. Davies (UK) - See all my reviews
This book dealt mainly with meditation and the joy of running but I had also hoped for more running advice but then if you are more intune with your body through using meditation tecniques this will also help your performance. It is still a good buy.

Running with the Mind of Meditation: Lessons for Training the Body and the Mind
Running with the Mind of Meditation: Lessons for Training the Body and the Mind by Sakyong Mipham Rinpoche (Hardcover - 15 May 2012)
Used & New from: 4.11