on 31 August 2015
Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? has been on my wishlist for so long. I heard about it before I even knew Mindy Kaling existed (oh, sad times). I just heard it was funny, and it seemed like the sort of thing I would like. Then I saw The Mindy Project, and I realised I really wanted to read it. However due to my thing of not actually buying off my wishlist I didn’t end up buying it until it popped up on the kindle monthly deals this month (yay!).

I read it a couple of weeks ago when I was ill. It took me a few hours, less than a day. It’s been a long time since I last read something that fast (of course I was stuck at home with nothing to do). I really loved it. I had to start watching the US version of The Office afterwards to stop me getting withdrawal (I had avoided it so far because usually US remakes are a bit rubbish, and I only occasionally liked the original version of The Office), which I’m now on the seventh series of (so yeah, I am liking it actually).

I love how Mindy blossomed I suppose. She was a pretty shy kid, you could still see a bit of that Mindy quality, a sort of no cares attitude, although it had it’s quivers. She really was a self-made woman. It sort of reminded me of how Stephen Fry and his contempories came up. They started as their own thing and sort of got ‘discovered’. I like that, it’s genuine.

I also like how she tried to use her position to teach girls who might admire her. There was one scene (and, God, I hate People magazine for this) where Mindy was going to a photo shoot, something about beautiful people. Nice yeah? At the time she was a size 8 (which I think is a size 10 in the UK) so about average. The stylist only had size 0s, which is just rubbish, especially when you are showing someone ‘normal’ who was beautiful, and then to suggest they couldn’t wear nice clothes because they were too ‘big’. It just makes me mad. And Mindy is really pretty. It still makes me mad now.

So despite the fact that most of the time it was funny there was a serious side too, and now I love Mindy even more. I just wish I didn’t have to wait all the way until September for her new book
on 7 November 2011
Just finished reading this - it was the first book to necessitate downloading the Kindle app for my iPhone and buying the ebook version because for some reason the UK shipping for the hard copy was 1-3 months, but worked out well as the audio extras are a fun touch. The essays cover a wide range of Mindy Kaling's thoughts, observations, and insights and is written in a conversational way that makes you feel like you are chatting to a friend. A really funny, interesting, smart friend. Too many highlights to mention, although I will say that the chapter "Guys Need to Do Almost Nothing to Be Great" should be gospel. I guess as Bossypants only came out earlier this year the Tina Fey comparisons will be inevitable. There are a few similarities, the most important being that both books make you laugh and feel happy. Who wouldn't want to have more books like that?
on 24 June 2014
Picked this up in an independent bookshop on a trip to the states. Shamefully I've never seen the US version of the office and didn't know who Mindy was?! I tend to be drawn in by covers, titles and a quick flick through.
It sat on my bookshelf for a couple of months until I needed something to occupy me on an extended journey.

I finished reading the book in three days (short sittings). As other reviewers have said, it's an easy read that can be dipped into. Chapters are short and varied.

Most importantly for me, this book made me laugh out loud. I loved the author's self deprecating humour and memories of her childhood. This is the first book in AGES that has actually made me laugh like this. The biggest decision now is whether to take it home in my luggage to pass on to friends, or leave it behind at the hotel and hope somebody else likes it as much as I did.

Thanks Mindy!
on 27 August 2015
Can't say it was the most rivetting book I have read, but I did like it. I could definitely hear Mindy's voice throughout reading it, no doubt, it was very fast and full of craziness - as she is.

I just couldn't understand a lot of the cultural references, especially since I haven't really watched The Office (British or American versions), and it was a bit difficult to understand in certain parts, but not too much to be honest.

I think it was worth buying and reading it. I love her show and she is funny, and parts of this book are actually really really really amusing. She's just a normal person with a unique personality.
TOP 50 REVIEWERon 4 November 2015
I didn't love this book, even though i Love watching Mindy on The Mindy Project. As she is hilarious in that.
It does read like Mindy is talking direct to you throughout the book. So that may appeal to lot's.

I think i was expecting more than i actually got, i agree with a few other review's that i feel this is aimed at the Teen/Young Adult Market.
It's a fun way to learn about Mindy's life and upbringing and how she became the successful woman she is today.

Topic's covered from her arriving in the USA as a young child from India, Her weight issues and she covers this in a fun and light hearted way throughout the book, to her experiences with her friendship's, growing up and getting new job's too.

Its written in a conversational style. I do think this would be a good book for young girls, experiencing self confidence issues, as Mindy show's it's possible to get where you want to even if your aren't a size 0. So for this reason alone i can't knock the book and give it a ultra low star rating. As young girls could benefit from reading this book. For a confidence boost. Would make a nice Xmas stocking filler Gift.
on 23 August 2013
So funny! I've been the crazy lady laughing alone on the tube! I'll be passing this on to people I really like when I'm done.
on 11 May 2013
A laugh out loud feel good book which makes me feel at ease, knowing that there are other slightly odd people out there which share the same weird thoughts as me.
on 12 September 2013
Laugh out loud comedy - If you love The Mindy Project then you will love this! Can't put it down!
on 25 September 2014
Mindy Kaling isn’t someone that I knew a lot about yet I loved the office and this book gives you a great understanding about how she has got to where she was today.

To me the book felt like a scrapbook, written in a conversational style the book is very easy to read and contains many photos. You can’t help reading this book in Kaling’s voice it just feels like she’s talking to you.

The book is funny is some parts yet I have to admit that I felt as though I was far to old to be reading this book. Kaling herself makes the comment that this book has probably been purchased for a teenager by their ‘cool aunt’.

Some of the chapters feel a little cliché such as the one that touches of the subject of her weight, which seems to be a typical topic that female comedians discuss therefore the subject feels sort of tedious. This book is aimed at the young adult/preteen market.
on 26 May 2015
I bought this book because after hours of marathoning The Office US, I realised Mindy's name kept appearing on the producer/writers credits. I'm not a huge fan of her character Kelly, nor have I ever watched the Mindy Project, but I was intrigued to find out more about her since discovering that she is incredibly involved in one of my favourite comedies.
Her writing style is easy to read, it's almost like sitting with a friend for a few hours, chatting about when someone at Starbucks gave you a dirty look for no reason. She is instantly likeable, unashamedly herself and very sweet. It's not a guide for 'how to make it in television', but more a 'hey, you may have seen me on tv. I have some stories that you may find amusing, and I totally cry at everything too. You're normal. Want to hang out?'. Yes Mindy, I do.