1,525 Reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars Abridged
Very enjoyable. However it should be noted that this is an abridged version. It dosen't tell you that in the details.
Published on 18 Mar 2005 by G. Palmer

2.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, but overhyped.
Whilst I certainly found The Da Vinci code entertaining, what lets it down for me is the way it is written. I felt the writing was on a level with some of the books I was reading back at school. The basic plotline keeps you turning pages, but I would class this as mildly diverting pulp rather than a masterwork.
Published on 23 July 2005 by kiwizzarrd

4.0 out of 5 stars Abridged, 18 Mar 2005
G. Palmer (Birmingham United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Da Vinci Code (Audio CD)

2.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, but overhyped., 23 July 2005
kiwizzarrd (London, United Kingdom.) - See all my reviews

1.0 out of 5 stars Mediocre, at best., 22 Sep 2013
I did not enjoy this at all. Whilst the plot is vaguely interesting; the characters are terrible, very transparent and just there to propel the story along, there was no depth to any of them, you don't feel any emotion towards the characters, and the only person I did feel any sort of sympathy towards is the villain! The writing is terrible, and there are Biblical and 'arty' facts are just thrown in there for the sake of sounding impressive. Please do not waste your time reading this.

1.0 out of 5 stars Am I missing something here?, 16 July 2005
I will be totally honest and confess that all the hype about this book put me off reading it for a long time. However, it was given to me as a birthday present and it would have been rude to not give it a try. Well, I've read it and I really can't see what the fuss is all about.
The writing style is stilted and clumsy. There are many errors and don't get me started on the way in which Mr Brown continually manufactures cliff-hangers for almost every chapter.If that is the only way he can make his readers want to read on then so be it, but it annoyed me beyond measure. I mean, how many times can someone open a box, gasp in disbelief at the contents and then not describe them for another three chapters?
My favourite spate of bad writing comes quite early on, during the drive from the Louvre to the American Embassy. Sophie has been thinking back about "the terrible thing" she saw her grandfather doing without ever letting the reader in on the secret. However, the moment she decides to think about it is when she is trying to escape the police in a high speed chase. She is driving and I'm pretty sure she would be better off concentrating on the road.
Best of all though is the drive from the Louvre to the embassy. On page 190, Sophie sets off, knowing that it is less than half a mile to get there. On page 192, after driving directly towards the embassy, she sighs with relief as now there is less than a mile to go. I've never been to Paris but the authorities really should do something about the spatial rift that apparently exists there. Generally, when I drive towards something, I get nearer to it, not further away.
The ending is very weak too but I won't spoil it for you. The author has already done that.
It's not a terrible book but it could have been so much better. Read "The Name Of The Rose" if you want an intelligent thriller. If you must read this then at least see the flaws and appreciate that they stretch into the supposed revelatory theories as well.

1.0 out of 5 stars Why can't we give no stars?, 5 Jun 2008
This review is from: The Da Vinci Code (Paperback)
This was a truly dreadful book that I struggled to finish as part of a book club selection and the awful time I had is indelibly etched into my brain.
Poorly drawn characters, artificial dialogue, obvious plot twists and gaping inconsistencies you could drive a truck through.
I thought it was awful though it seems sacrilege to sya it when so many people love it but that doesn't make it a good book.
It may ahve sold millions but it doesn't mean that everyone who bought a copy liked it.
I hope never to read one of his books again.

3.0 out of 5 stars glorious junk, 13 Aug 2004
Trev Hill (Telford, Shropshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I enjoyed this book and part of the enjoyment was that it was so predictable and ultimately disposable. The story reads like a "how to write a sensational thriller"; intellectual hero, beautiful girl, crazy killer and, of course, a secret society.
Interestingly I read Brown's earlier book, "Angels and Demons" after I had read "Code". It is almost identical... in the first two pages someone is horribly murdered (by the crazed killer) and within five pages Langdon meets the victim's beautiful daughter. Glorious romp, very enjoyable and you don't feel bad about never seeing the book again when you leave it on the train or lend it to somebody.

1.0 out of 5 stars Avoid The Da Vinci Code like a plague-ridden rodent, 27 Feb 2005
T. Davis "tobycdavis" (UK) - See all my reviews
I find it somewhat depressing to think that so many millions of people (myself included) have read such a painfully mediocre book. Brown's style of writing is grating in the extreme. His characters are terribly two dimensional and thoroughly unconvincing (the suave hero uni lecturer is apparently based on himself). The use of France as location is done with the American reader in mind, it is certainly not a France I recognise and any minor use of the french language involves awkward total translation resulting in slowing the clunking text down further. I dont think I need to say what else is wrong with it, just take a look at any of thew other reviewers' comments. Avoid.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not even a good mystery novel, 8 Nov 2009
I was very disappointed by this book, blurbed as "one of the finest mysteries" which I actually found pretty obvious and straightforward for the most part. I found the initial set up for the adventure to be pretty daft and hole ridden (why didn't the curator run, why weren't there more fail-safes?). My hopes from the start were pretty slim when on one of the first page it stated "All descriptions of... secret rituals in this novel are accurate". And as soon as it was 'revealed' that the code and secrets were involved with the Holy Grail I gave up pretty much all hope.

The story telling is clumsy, with the extremely short chapters making the book seem extremely bitty. The painfully slow hinting and eventual revealing of various backgrounds and histories are quite painful. It works as a mystery in that once you've started reading it, it's hard to stop, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone unless they're interested in grail history.

1.0 out of 5 stars A fuss about nothing, 1 Feb 2006
This has got to be one of the most overated and poorly written books I have had the misfortune to read. It has an interesting premise, but proves to be jaw-droppingly bad in its execution. It put me in mind of some of the creative writing I used to produce at secondary school - full of obvious phrases, a similie in every line and every thought and action of the characters Spelled. Out. In. Short. Words. And. Sentences.
Potential readers looking for a more substantial, better researched and better written book dealing with similar material should look to Focault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco.
I read the Da Vinci Code to see what the fuss was about and discovered it was about nothing.

3.0 out of 5 stars Foucault's Pendulum for dummies..., 12 July 2004
...which isn't such a bad thing, really. It covers similar ground (approximately) but lacks the others depth, genius and complexity (and it's glorious final twist). What the Da Vinci Code does offer, however, is a great fun fast occult conspiracy thriller, with engaging characters, smart action and a good easy reading style. Take everything it contains with a fistful of salt, however - Mr Brown doesn't do a very good job of deliniating fact from fiction, tending to blur real and fictional figures easily. The most annoying point of the novel occurs right at the beggining, oddly, when he presents a page of "facts" outside the fiction to validate his work - but at least one of them is discredited beyond being taken seriously. In the end, this book isn't half as deep, philosophical or revolutionary as it thinks it is is - but as a good fun holiday read its worth a look. And regarding Mr Brown's supposed great historical research, most of it seems cribbed from one or two sensationalist books (Holy Blood Holy Grail, for example) - most of the mythology and legend I was already familiar with and I'm certainly not a world famous symbologist....

The Da Vinci Code
The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown (Audio CD - 19 Oct 2010)
10.37