Format: HardcoverChange

on 12 December 2011
This is a wonderful book!

The first five chapters are like a thrilling ascent up a mountain in the company of the historic heroes
of the christian faith. In chapter 6 I reached a bit of a plateau and the clouds descended for a moment,
as we delved into ideas rather than character and motivations. The last four chapters were an exhilarating
descent back to earth in the company of more recent male and female champions of the faith.

This will be a book I will return to often to better appreciate the many key elements of Catholicism that
are discussed and to enjoy the brilliance with which the author gets into the mind and meaning shining out
from the heart of christianity.

Robert Barron writes passionately and with great sensitivity and awareness for the great spiritual themes
and he inspires us with the views he helps to reveal on the journey.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 7 March 2013
Excellent book with plenty of thought provoking material. The video clips on Kindle for iPad add an extra dimension and give a chance to see Father Robert present the material in his charismatic style. Although called Catholicism this book is suitable and interesting to all who have any interest at all in Christianity
on 10 November 2012
In the Catholic Church we have just started out on the Year of Faith, and after reading a review of this book I decided it would be my reading for the year. I described it to a few in my parish and from that a group of about 13 decided we would use it and the cd,s as our experience in that year. I and they, have found it a profound experience and a renewal of our faith. Most of the group have purchased the book ( no wonder Amazon is doing so well!,) we listen to the cd and I keep holding it and letting us all make our comments and input. We will never get finished in one year.
on 8 February 2012
After watching some of the DVDs at our parish, I borrowed the book; I read the first chapter and decided I wanted to have it permanently: it is so rich that you need to read some sentences over and over again and you discover a deeper meaning every time.
on 16 November 2012
Catholicism is a thorough guide to the spiritual context of Christianity as a whole and provides a detailed description of what the Roman Catholic Church is about. Non-Catholic Christians may demur about the author's definition of the difference between the RC crew (and I'm a member!) and the other constituent parts of the Christian world, but it should be worth your while persevering. Some Catholics may also be surprised about what they are supposed to believe, especially as quite a lot of us are lazy about faith and practice. This book gives people an opportunity to reflect on many things.

Catholicism is the core material for a DVD-based programme of study now on offer in parishes throughout the UK. I have read the book as an alternative to the course, mainly because I don't want to see the filmed version which, from the preview, is likely to be a bit BBC with landscapes, art and "uplifting music". I imagine the book, the DVD and the group discussions would be the whole package. You can choose: Catholicism - the book, the DVD and even the faith itself - is no longer compulsory, which is wholly good and proper.

This is not a book that will explain (away) the Catholic Church's serious crimes and lapses over its history. There are references to those issues but the book is not for that purpose, so if you're looking for a critique of the bad stuff, this is not for you. In a sense, this is quite brave because the behaviour of the Church gives plenty of ammunition to those who reject it: invective sells better. The author, however, is aiming to reveal the love and purpose of Christ and to inspire reflection and even return for those who no longer practise their faith.

It would be a shame if this book were left to practising Catholics looking for a recharge of batteries. This is an opportunity to explore the nature of Catholicism and the way Catholics think, and even Catholics will be surprised at what they should be thinking because our actions don't always make this clear.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 February 2014
This book pulls no punches in presenting the Catholic Faith, It does not hold back in presenting the good points as well as the not so good points of our Christian faith, giving reasonable explanations for questions that arise when asking what the Catholic faith is about and why we should believe in God and that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.
on 11 August 2013
This is an excellent book. I have enjoyed it and will read it again and again. It is very well written
on 1 February 2014
A very insightful history of Catholicism which has depend my understanding of my faith. It is a very worthwhile read.
on 7 June 2015
For anyone needing to know about the Catholic Faith this book is excellent. For any practising Catholic this book is a 'must have' classification. Far and away the best book I have read about the Faith and written in an easy fluid style by one of the stars of the Catholic clergy.
The explanation of the 'presence of Our Lord' in the blessed sacrament is clear and concise as are many other particular beliefs of Catholicism. I have been told it is being given to prospective Catholics enetering their chosen Faith and no finer piece of literature could be chosen
on 27 February 2014
I chose this because I had heard that his Video series was good and this is the book from the disks. I found the book easy to read, instructive and provocative. It certainly challenged some of my ideas and made me think. It persuaded me to buy the videos, which I also found excellent. I would recommend it to anyone, Catholic or not, who wants to find out the basis of Catholicism, dispel a few myths and be challenged to develop their ideas (and perhaps their faith).