5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious read
Published on 4 Feb 2011 by Mr. Callum P. Mccaul

1.0 out of 5 stars Same old stuff
Adam can be funny. But we've heard all these stories before. Can you come up with new stuff? Peppering everything with expletives does not make it funny.
Published on 22 Jun 2012 by Robert Inouye

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious read, 4 Feb 2011
Mr. Callum P. Mccaul (Leigh, Lancashire, UK) - See all my reviews
Adam Carolla is probably not very well known to Brits, but I love him. His brand of humour really strikes a chord with me and this book is full of hilarious observations and general moaning about the state of things. It helps that I really do agree with 99% of what he says! Highly recommended for anybody with a liking for Curb Your Enthusiasm style moaning and groaning, only this guy's real!

5.0 out of 5 stars Listen to his podcast first, 28 Sep 2011
It's easy to find out if you'll like this book, and not everyone will. But you can simply download and listen to Carolla's free podcast to get a good idea of what to expect.

Hilarious observations of the falling society, the man speaks a lot of sense and does not censor himself, refreshing contrast. If this man ran America, there'd be a whole lot less nonsense.

1.0 out of 5 stars Same old stuff, 22 Jun 2012
This review is from: In Fifty Years We'll All Be Chicks: ...and Other Complaints from an Angry Middle-Aged White Guy (Paperback)

5.0 out of 5 stars A. Haupt, 18 Jun 2012
I'm giving this a five star review purely to cancel out the individual below (see above for name) who says 'I haven't even read this but I just saw him on Leno and didn't like him, so I gave this book one star.' This should hopefully nullify the damage done to this book's score by this...person.

Apologies for those of you who've read this wanting to find out more about the book-I was the same as you-but I wanted to correct the star rating so people could see the correct score. (I know I'm doing the same in a way by rating it without reading it, but MINE at least is to cancel out the other rating...so not as bad. I think. :-s)

5.0 out of 5 stars Must Read for every Man!!!, 17 Jan 2012
Broekhof "17" (Amsterdam , the Netherlands) - See all my reviews
Adam Carolla has a fantastic look on life and one in which he is able to cut to the bone concerning some stupid daily life stuff that can make your life miserable every now and then. After reading this book you will see that you are not alone out there. There are still some man left like Carolla who act like real man. Now man up and buy this book!!! And NO you don't need to ask your misses for permission if so , do not bother to buy this book at all, you are already a chick so you can't be saved.

1.0 out of 5 stars Literally disgusting., 23 July 2011
I was given this book by a friend, who knew that I am a fan of comedic writing, and thought I would enjoy this. I flipped through it briefly upon being handed it, saw a few amusing parodies of the right-wing sarcastic moaning made popular by such detestables as Jeremy Clarkson, thanked my friend, and moved on.

When I came to actually read the book, however, laughing at first at the spot-on way Carolla mimics such people's cries of "common sense!" and "it's political correctness gone mad!", a nasty feeling started creeping up on me. He was doing it too well. There was real feeling behind his litany of misogyny, racism, homophobia, and bigotry. I began to get uncomfortable. It's one thing joking around and pretending to be ignorant and small-minded, but people might mistake it for real sentiment if you do it TOO well!

The more I read, the more Carolla really seemed to be the person I had taken him to be parodying, so I decided to look him up on the Internet. And that's when I realised that it was I who had made the mistake. This book was entirely serious. The author actually believed all the ridiculous things he was saying. In horror and disgust, I read on. Surely, surely, there will be some opinions of his that I agree with? That aren't bigoted, unintelligent, and (ironically) conforming to the stereotype of the stupid redneck?

I was gratified to see that I shared at least some of his views; that is, he does make points which are sensible critique of our society. But these are so drowned by the vast ocean of disagreeable hideousness that I was unable to read more than thirty pages. At that point I had to stop, because I had become so angry that I had literally become red in the face and, had I happened to meet Carolla then, would have assaulted him viciously with all my strength.

I can remember only two things from the book as specific examples of what incensed me so (I probably have forgotten the specifics of the rest as a survival mechanism to prevent permanent high blood pressure), so I shall describe them both now as an example of Carolla's attitude.

The first is, simply, the title. "In Fifty Years We'll All Be Chicks: ...and Other Complaints from an Angry Middle-Aged White Guy." There's two things there, and I'll take the latest occurring first: on the very cover he admits to being white and male, and, therefore, unlikely to have suffered any huge amount of discrimination in his life. I'm not saying that this makes him unable to express views on women's rights, race relations, and so on; only that he ought to exercise greater caution to avoid causing offence. Of course, causing offence is entirely his aim. Secondly, the "chicks". This is never a term used to empower women; indeed its comparison of the woman to a small and defenceless baby animal is considered by many women derogatory. But not only is he using a semi-misogynist term in the title of his book, he is also using it as an insult. He's implying that being female is inherently something bad, something that should be avoided.

The other thing I recall him saying was something along the lines of "No man wants his son to be gay. They may say otherwise, but secretly all men try to teach their sons heterosexuality." I'm not saying this isn't true, I imagine many men do think this, but he justifies this viewpoint. Leaving aside the fact that he doesn't even mention daughters, I have simply this to say: if a man truly loved his son, he would want his son to be happy. Whatever sexuality made the son happy, that would be fine with dad, just as long as son was happy. Fathers: would you really rather your son was unhappy in a heterosexual relationship because he felt pressured to be straight, than happy with a man?

To conclude: don't buy this book if you think it's a parody. Only buy it if you are ignorant, narrow-minded, and bigoted, because then you'll agree with everything Carolla says. Actually, don't buy it even if you are: consider something else, perhaps you could become a better person.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy, 16 Dec 2011
A. Haupt - See all my reviews
First of all I haven't read this book and I don't know Mr. Carolla (I'm from Europe after all).

So why create a bad rating?

Well, I've seen Mr. Carolla in Jay Leno's show a few weeks ago (maybe an old show, I missed the beginning, later I googled the book to find out more about it and its author) and I think he is just a ... (enter your favourite negative), not funny at all (one clearly senses that he thinks he's funny, he probably thinks he's the funniest guy on earth), after 3 minutes I switched off and decided to use the saved minutes to create this review.

So beware: the book very likely is as stupid and not funny as its author so don't buy it (and don't buy anything else from Mr. Carolla).