4.0 out of 5 stars Madame Supreme Justice, 4 April 2013
prisrob "pris," (New England USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: My Beloved World (Hardcover)
Sonia Sotomayor's greatest regret was that she never told her father she loved him. Born into a difficult life, Sonia learned early to avoid her alcoholic father. Her mother worked long hours, and Sonia felt she was alone. She later realized that her mother loved her deeply,and her mother is her great hero. Sonia learned to be independent, learned that the written word was her friend. She immersed herself in books, and thus her love affair with books. Her mother also was talked into purchasing a set of encyclopedias, and she read them all. She learned to love the ideas of alternative worlds and what they could teach us. She also loved her family. She remembers weekends when family and friends convened to make the food of her ancestry, and she would listen to them talk.

Sonia was bright and was able to get into Princeton. She felt overwhelmed by what she did not know. In the summer before and after work she studied English and other subjects. She excelled and went to law school. She moved on up to a judgeship, after long hours as a lawyer. She feels this was the happiest time of her life. She had many friends and was not well known, so she could relax and enjoy herself. When President Obama called telling her he had chosen her as his Supreme Court Justice, tears streamed down her face, and life as she knew it changed.

Sonia married early in life, but both she and her husband realized she could not be his everything. Sonia had too many plans, was too independent, but they remain friends. Now, Sonia has a very busy life, filled with law and the written word. She socializes with the Justices, but they are not her entire life. She loves her job, and realizes she never has to interview for a job, again!

This is a well written autobiography, filled with let's of stories and unknown events in Sonia's life. She is quite open, and she seems to be a down to earth person, someone you could call a friend. She wants to start dating again, but that seems overwhelming with her present role. I hope she finds someone. Sonia also feels a debt to those women who went before her. Sonia Sotomayor is a woman with a mission, and she has fulfilled much of it within a short period of time.

Recommended. prisrob 04-04-13

5.0 out of 5 stars Divine intervention, 1 Dec 2013
Mr. KN PRADEEPKUMAR (High Wycombe, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Beloved World (Kindle Edition)
To be so aware from childhood is so incredible. Incredible role model and an individual who is out there to make a difference

5.0 out of 5 stars Not my ususal read - loved it!, 18 Aug 2013
This review is from: My Beloved World (Kindle Edition)
I found this book so inspiring. Sonia is certainly a positive role model. I usually read fiction but found this caught my attention immediately.

4.0 out of 5 stars Touching and inspiring, 1 Aug 2013
This review is from: My Beloved World (Kindle Edition)
This is a wonderful book, touching and inspiring. Sotomayor's is an insightful story of a memorable and unlikely journey. If only more was spent on her time from being a judge onwards (though deliberate on her part to leave it out she states upfront). Very enjoyable.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Memoir of Shaping a Life of Service, 9 May 2013
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: My Beloved World (Hardcover)
"Furthermore, whom should I serve?" -- 2 Samuel 16:19 (NKJV)

Most people have few problems deciding whom they should serve. It's "me," "me," "me," "me."

For Supreme Court justice Sonia Sotomayor, the answer was always "others," "others," "others," and "others."

While some arrive at the same answer as Ms. Sotomayor, many of them reach that point through guilt, feelings of inadequacy, and felt pressure from others.

From reading this book carefully, I got the sense that Ms. Sotomayor operates more in this way: "If I can help, I will." It's a calling with her.

I don't often have the pleasure to read about the life of such a person. I felt blessed by this opportunity.

Many readers will enjoy (as I did) gaining a better sense of what it's like to grow up with Type 1 diabetes, be of Puerto Rican ancestry, and to face challenges for which one has little preparation to make things easier.

I was intrigued by her descriptions of learning to be an effective prosecutor. Most memoirs skip over the details of such trials by fire.

Be aware that this is not an autobiography. It isn't rigorously capturing a life, bur rather giving her thoughts about her experiences ... through the time when she was first appointed to be a Federal district judge.

I don't know another person who has worn the black robes who has been so candid and open about a personal life before sitting behind the bench. I admire her for doing so.

If you read only one memoir this year, I commend this one to you as an excellent choice.

My Beloved World
My Beloved World by Sonia Sotomayor (Hardcover - 15 Jan 2013)
17.41