5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put it down
I bought this title on my Kindle, after reading an extract in Wired magazine.

This book makes hacking thrilling. What I liked was that the author doesn't skip over the technical details of how the hacks work. You zoom right in, and discover how the attacks are accomplished.

For example, reading Kingpin was the first time I actually understood what a...
Published on 9 Mar 2011 by Mr I Harris

3.0 out of 5 stars Unputdownable, but could do with more meat...
Great story, fairly well told, if you find the subject interesting.
Only 2 complaints: this would have been more interesting if it had more content and perhaps links out to safely hosted content for those wishing to dig further and I have to say that this deficiency makes it a little on the pricey side. Found the story fascinating though.
Published on 8 Dec 2012 by Mr Ian Golding

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put it down, 9 Mar 2011
I bought this title on my Kindle, after reading an extract in Wired magazine.

For example, reading Kingpin was the first time I actually understood what a SQL injection attack is. If you're interested in technology, or hacking, I highly recommend you read this book - I loved it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A well-written and fascinating book, 4 April 2011
Peter Scott "peter46077" (Norfolk) - See all my reviews
I think that this is a book written without a target audience in mind, just because Poulson felt it needed to be written. If you are already knowledgeable about black hat hacking, you will know a lot of this already. If you are an ordinary computer user, then a lot of the jargon might go over your head.

But it doesn't matter. Poulson writes so engagingly and clearly that, even if some of it is arcane, he can get across the thrill of the chase and into the minds of these amazingly strange and clever people. I had just finished the Millennium trilogy and really didn't believe that the heroine, Salander, could carry out the hacking that she did. Now I know that she could, and how.

The detailed accounts of how the security of banks, national security and retailers were penetrated and data and card details stolen make the hairs on the back of your neck stand up. These are organisations that we deal with and give our cards to, such as restaurants and clothes shops. Poulson explains how a combination of software faults, and human laziness and carelessness, make data theft possible. He describes how, to start with, these thefts were covered up and customers told that they were to blame.

I finished up with a mix of feelings. I could not help admire the hackers as they attacked institutions and each other. At times the story had the complexity of a mix of John le Carre and CSI. But then I reminded myself that when my bank calls me to cancel a card, it is people like these who caused it.

As I put the book down I thought that some of the software described is running on my own computers. So guess what? I put an order in for the most advanced version of the free internet security software that I use. No, they probably aren't interested in me, but who knows? I now have a lot of respect for the hackers' skills.

All-in-all a well-written and fascinating book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Unputdownable, but could do with more meat..., 8 Dec 2012
Great story, fairly well told, if you find the subject interesting.

4.0 out of 5 stars great details.., 13 July 2014
Very we'll researched and informative. Certainly recommended for any one studying card fraud practices. Also relevant for a normal user looking for a secure browsing experience.

5.0 out of 5 stars COULD NOT PUT IT DOWN, 6 Oct 2013
Amazing book.
Thrilling from beginning to end. Think I learnt something too about good security behaviour. Easy reading throughout even technical bits.

4.0 out of 5 stars Tight, well written and interesting, 28 Aug 2013
The writing is of a high standard and comes across as a lean and fluently-described dispassionate version of events. The author is impartial, knowledgeable and well-informed and he delivers an easy-to-read, intriguing tale of hi-tech cat-and-mouse.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, 30 July 2013
This review is from: Kingpin: How One Hacker Took Over the Billion-Dollar Cybercrime Underground (Paperback)
I read this book over the course of about a month and a half. It was really intriguing and dealt with how a man's passion for light-hearted electronic mischief was both a gift and a curse for him. It had some pretty good revelations and a good sense of time passing through the years.

4.0 out of 5 stars Well written and researched, 29 April 2013
Mark (Dublin, Ireland) - See all my reviews
This book explains how one hacker hacked an online black market selling stolen credit card details, fake IDs the lot. How he was tracked down and caught. It's a more focussed version of Misha Glennys Dark Market, which offers a broader view of the whole story.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Read, 22 Mar 2013
D. Yates - See all my reviews
This is a real page turner and I zipped through it. It reads more like fiction than fact and this adds to the draw as the story pulls you in. A few eye opening hacker techniques are also revealed but nothing too technical. An interesting window on the 'hacker/cybercrim' world as was.

I've been online nearly 20 years and I enjoy reading the odd hacker book as they generally introduce some really creative and innovative individuals along with some of the darker corners of the the tech world. This is one of the better books along those lines. The Cuckoo's Egg is another that's worth checking out, although this is set around the early days of the Net pre-Web it again reads like a novel.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 12 Mar 2013
Gives such detail into the mind of Max Butler, from his early exploits all the way to his current incarceration. But not only that it explains how he went about exploiting systems, his motivations behind them as well as explains his relationships with co-conspirators.

Def a read for anyone interested in security or hacking from the .com boom to present day

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›