5.0 out of 5 stars Use as a Circular Stitch Directory - not a pattern book
I had this book on pre-order as soon as notification came out, so I was thrilled to finally see it arrive.

Published 23 months ago by D. Berry

3.0 out of 5 stars Very so so
Published 24 months ago by Elaine B Reader

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Use as a Circular Stitch Directory - not a pattern book, 9 Aug 2012
This review is from: Knitting in Circles (Hardcover)

Having read the other reviews, I can appreciate where those who are 'unimpressed' are coming from. However, I sense that they were hoping for a huge book of designs to make and wear, where I personally see this as more of a directory with a few patterns inserted to give you ideas to design and put together your own stuff, which I consider is a strong part of Nicky Epsteins intentions with all of her books - emphasis to empower the reader to explore their own potential. Nicky never pretends that her patterns are meant to impress everyone, simply an idea to begin and recommendations for variations always available. I suspect that its highly possible that Epstein fans who have said they are dissapointed in this book have now got to the point where they expect her to write purely for them as "advanced Epsteiners" instead of continuing to make her work available to all levels of knitter.

If you already have a lot of patterns which give you knitted circular stitches, then perhaps you will not find enough new stuff here to excite you. However, I don't, so I'm thrilled to have a starting point through to advanced technique for knitted circles on stitch directory level in contrast to the more traditional expectation of needing to crochet all spirals and circles. In Europe and the Eastern Block, it is very on trend and haute couture to have outfits of the style in this book - evening wear and classy, and I have many books written in russian for the crochet versions and simply use the charts and photographs to interpret how to make them since I don't speak the language. By starting out with the basic designs and making up your own outfits following Nicky's recommendations means you'll have something unique and copyright free.

I am an avid Nicky Epstein fan, however I don't and won't own every single one of her books as I do recognise what I'm expecting to get out of it first.
In thinking about whether to purchase this book, think first about what you actually want it to give you. If you want a directory of knitted circular/spiral stitches and techniques for beginners through to advanced, with information how to integrate into a garment or blanket etc., then this book is for you. If you are looking for a book of patterns to work through without using your own imagination, then don't buy it.

Hope this helps.

3.0 out of 5 stars Very so so, 1 Aug 2012
Elaine B Reader (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Knitting in Circles (Hardcover)
I have loved the books I have by this author, Over the Edge is excellent, Felted Bags very enjoyable and the Blocks book is so useful - this one just doesn't inspire me at all - I thought from the cover that it would. I decided this was one of those "I want that" books, and I'm so disappointed with the contents. True there are about 100 different circles, some lovely, some basic and boring, however, the items made from these are horrible in my opinion.
I'd be embarrassed to be seen in some of them, as I couldn't think of anything to make using circles (apart from Tams or berets) I was hoping for something wonderful but sadly, not in this book, not for me. The three stars reflect the choice of circles to make, the instructions seem fine (what I've read so far) and the clear information relating to tension (guage) and different yarns used.

5.0 out of 5 stars Something REALLY different!, 6 Aug 2012
This review is from: Knitting in Circles (Hardcover)
This is my birthday present, which I've had early and I have to say I LOVE IT. Yes, some of the projects are not exactly to my taste, but it gives you ideas, which in my opinion is what alot of patterns are about.

I intend to look at this lady's other books now!

5.0 out of 5 stars Knitting in Circles, 11 Nov 2012
This review is from: Knitting in Circles (Hardcover)
This is one of the best books that I have ever brought. Being a knitter of 50 years I though that there was little left to learn how wrong was I. It not only gives clear instructions but the idea's inspired me to create new items based on circles myself. Can not recommend this book highly enough

5.0 out of 5 stars FANTASTIC, 4 Aug 2012
Knitting in Circles

Such fantastic designs and so inspiring, I can't wait to try them out. And some wacky projects as well;-)Keep it up Nicky. From an experienced and somewhat 'addicted knitter:-)'

5.0 out of 5 stars A great referance book, 13 Dec 2012
This review is from: Knitting in Circles (Hardcover)
The book Knitting in circles covered everything I required. This is a very good referance book I can dip into at any time

5.0 out of 5 stars Having fun with 360 degrees, 4 Aug 2012
This review is from: Knitting in Circles (Hardcover)
fab. Very creative. Can't wait to make my own afghan whilst learning different techniques. A circular version of the blocks book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Book - but...., 17 Feb 2013
This review is from: Knitting in Circles (Hardcover)
This is mostly a lovely book - the circles are really interesting/pretty/clever and even if I didn't knit any, it would be a pleasure to look at.
The author uses different knitting methods - in the round on DPNs and circular needles, and joy of joys quite a few are done on straight needles - both bottom to top and short rows.
It has 4 stars because a lot of the book is taken up with fashion uses for the circles and I am sorry but I think they are really awful - just my opinion.
I love the book, though; I already have a circle on my straight needles to use as a centrepiece for a table and it is looking good....

5.0 out of 5 stars Knitting, 11 Feb 2013
This review is from: Knitting in Circles (Hardcover)
This is a brilliant book. So many different ideas, not like the usual knitting books. Can't wait to knit some more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, 10 Feb 2013
This review is from: Knitting in Circles (Hardcover)
I love her work, but this book is so good just to look through, even if you never do any of the patterns. But you can use these in a lot of ways, and I intend to definitely take some ideas from here. It's a lovely book

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Knitting in Circles
Knitting in Circles by Nicky Epstein (Hardcover - 25 July 2012)
19.99