4.0 out of 5 stars Great for sock experts
Published on 3 Dec 2012 by K. Crone

3.0 out of 5 stars One small flaw...
Published 15 months ago by K. L. M

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for sock experts, 3 Dec 2012
K. Crone (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Knitter's Book of Socks, The (Hardcover)
This book is definitely for experienced knitters and those with a real interest in the science behind the way socks work and the best wools to use with it. The first 50 pages are teaching you all about wool - written in a very accessible way. Being an avid knitter I found this very interesting, but I can imagine some people would just want patterns to knit without all the know-how. Also the author is American and so there are a few "translations" required for English knitters - but nothing any experienced knitter won't have come across before.
I found the patterns very exciting - some of them quite a challenge but very satisfying when done - much more so than the plain socks I had been knitting. Needle sizes are given in U.S. and in mm, but yarn is in American weighting, so again, some translation required. This is easily worked out by the needle size required and then doing a tension square, so don't let it put you off what is a fabulous book for sock-knitting fans, giving the confidence to reach out beyond the normal run-of-the-mill patterns!
An added bonus is that the socks look beautiful to wear, and would make a special present for someone.

3.0 out of 5 stars One small flaw..., 30 Sep 2013
This review is from: Knitter's Book of Socks, The (Hardcover)
This is a lovely sock knitting book which contains a lot of interesting and useful information and a lovely set of patterns. However, not all of the patterns are given in all sizes. Some are only given for Women's M, some are in Women's M and L. As the owner of a pair of S feet, I was disappointed to count 10 of the patterns as unachievable. Although I'm quite an experienced sock knitter, adjustment of the patterns would be difficult, as so many of them are complex stitch designs involving charts. And really, for a book like this, of this quality and style of publication and at this price, I would have expected that it would be **complete** as in containing a full set of sizes for each pattern. I couldn't recommend it to others, unless you're lucky enough to have women's size M feet.

4.0 out of 5 stars Can we have bigger pictures on the Kindle edition, please?, 9 Feb 2014
The technical information was fascinating. The patterns themselves look fairly interesting. Unfortunately the size of the actual pictures of many of the socks themselves are a bit too small for me to choose between them using my Kindle Fire. Yeah, I know, it's not a completely insurmountable problem - I'm sure a quick visit to Ravelry will let me work out what the detail on the finished articles looks like (and I've already seen enough of a couple of pairs to add them to my queue while I'm there). But it would be nice if the publisher came up with a way to get around the problem from within the book, like a larger zoomable picture on the pdf downloads for the charts.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lots of small valuable info., 12 Jan 2013
This review is from: Knitter's Book of Socks, The (Hardcover)
This is a great book for sock knitters. I have knitted socks years ago and am getting into it again.
This book is very useful in the information it gives about yarn and attributes for socks. Also the info on how socks should fit - which explains why my earlier attempts were only good for padding about the house.
Really interesting section on stitch patterns and how you can use it along with the nature of your yarn to maximise your sock.
Lovely patterns from experienced sock knitters such as Cat Bordhi.
Mixture of toe up and cuff down patterns. And loads of techniques.
If you ever thought of designing this would be a useful book to have read.

2.0 out of 5 stars Generally disappointing, 29 Aug 2014
This review is from: Knitter's Book of Socks, The (Hardcover)
Bought this because I wanted to make one of the pairs of socks. Apart from that, I was disappointed because despite all the technical stuff about yarn, there is hardly anything about making socks fit different sorts of feet. I also found the index deficient in that it didn't list the design features of the sock designs included e.g. which ones were toe-up. And I spotted a large number of typos which to me indicated that the proof-reading was inadequate and that therefore there would be errors in the sock patterns.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely book, 8 Jun 2014
This review is from: Knitter's Book of Socks, The (Hardcover)
Great book for sock knitters. Just wish that the type of wool used in the patterns could have a equivalent British type included..

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for sock knitters, 26 May 2014
I love Clara Parkes so must admit to already feeling positive about her books. This book is a compendium of techniques ans observations and patterns - so a good addition to my knitting (and sock knitting in particular, library.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent books, 26 Sep 2013
This review is from: Knitter's Book of Socks, The (Hardcover)
I enjoy not only the content itself but the way of writing and the scientyfic approch.

Whenever I was too busy to knit / crochet I always found time to read and enjoy patterns and I often told my friends but mostly they were either surpriced or sceptical and couldn't understand why. But when I read the auther's introduction for a friend the understanding and the respect was there.

I had to order her too other books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sock heaven, 11 Mar 2013
Ruby Rocket "Ruby" (Gwynedd, North Wales) - See all my reviews
This book is fabulous.
I have recently returned to knitting and the info on yarns and working towards the perfect sock for the purpose is really inspiring with modern techniques which is refeshing and gives one the confidence that the sock is going to be the best possible in terms of elasticity, wear and design.
The patterns are exquisite, really trendy yet maintain traditional elements of design and are easy to follow once one understands the abbreviations which are fully explained.
The style is very readable and fact-filled and I am on my second pair of socks ever, the first pair being a confidence buliding success.
Because I knit fairly loosely I would suggest a tension sample because I use a smaller guage needle than suggested

5.0 out of 5 stars Socks Galore, 30 Dec 2012
This review is from: Knitter's Book of Socks, The (Hardcover)
I received the book on time in excellent condition, I have read all the patterns and advice, which was excellent and so far have knit thee designs with no problems a very useful and informative book.

Knitter's Book of Socks, The
Knitter's Book of Socks, The by Clara Parkes author of the bestselling The Knitters Book of Yarn and The Knitters Book of Wool (Hardcover - 7 Dec 2011)