5.0 out of 5 stars Great book! Very handy!
The patterns are super easy! I would recommend this book to all beginners. I have recently started to make my own dresses and this book helps a lot.
Published 23 months ago by L. Rodrigo

3.0 out of 5 stars As a working manual
Not really that transparent and I found the sewing instructions are not very detailed.
But beautiful book to read and to have in your home collection.
Published 9 months ago by Natalia Blackmore

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book! Very handy!, 14 Mar. 2013
L. Rodrigo - See all my reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars Some interesting adaptations, 1 Mar. 2013
This review is from: BurdaStyle Sewing Vintage Modern (Hardcover)
The book encapsulates a strong theme for each of the decades in the twentieth century and shows you how to reproduce the chosen elements. However, there are only one or two elements chosen for each decade, so if you wanted to focus on a particular era, this is too limited.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good book, 17 Sept. 2014
T. S. Valera "Tammy" (Britain) - See all my reviews
I love all the dresses I haven't made any of the patterns yet but the instructions look easy
The only down side is that I bought it as a kindle and the patterns have to be printed and then stocked to make the pattern, it is quite a lot of work to do that, and I think that is what has been putting me off from starting.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice quality but nothing I was inspired to make immediately, 5 Mar. 2013
This review is from: BurdaStyle Sewing Vintage Modern (Hardcover)
I have a number of versatile patterns already so perhaps I was expecting a bit much, but I'd hoped to find at least one pattern that I'd want to get started on. On the plus side, there is a nice overview of each decade's trends and influences and it's intereting to see how much/little has changed in a century. It's a very nice quality book and the binding makes it very user friendly.

A couple of patterns require you to alter the patterns provided in order to make them up, and for anyone with the time/inclination to do this, you'd probably learn a lot about altering any pattern to create a new design in the process.

I would have liked more tips on altering patterns to fit perfectly - i.e. a separate section detailing how to alter to fit, say, a wider waist, smaller ribcage, would have helped. Perhaps the authors could have given the measurements the patterns are made to fit and suggesting how to amend. I realise this is covered in other books but the instructions on altering the patterns given are so accurate, I'd have liked to see this applied to personalising patterns too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 24 Jun. 2014
This review is from: BurdaStyle Sewing Vintage Modern (Hardcover)
It's got different models to make, well presented too. I also like the models, really nice and modernised. I think they quite easy to make if you follow the instructions.

3.0 out of 5 stars As a working manual, 31 May 2014
This review is from: BurdaStyle Sewing Vintage Modern (Hardcover)
But beautiful book to read and to have in your home collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 20 July 2013
This review is from: BurdaStyle Sewing Vintage Modern (Hardcover)
Gives great history of fashions and pattern blocks in the back with advice how to adjust for your size and preference. Perfect sewing inspiration.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 15 Jun. 2013
This review is from: BurdaStyle Sewing Vintage Modern (Hardcover)
A lovely book, clear and enjoyable , Beautifull patterns that can be adapted to many different styles,use them again and again

4.0 out of 5 stars great little book, 17 Jun. 2013
This review is from: BurdaStyle Sewing Vintage Modern (Hardcover)
This little book is better than I expected. touching on many well known elements of vintage fashion. using Burda patterns with clear instructions on how to turn them into modern and wearable vintage for the home sewer . Love it and will recomend it to my students

4.0 out of 5 stars A great book Overall, 27 Feb. 2014
This review is from: BurdaStyle Sewing Vintage Modern (Hardcover)
This book was bought for me as a present. I think it is great if you find the prospect of using genuine vintage patterns a bit daunting.

It touches on each era with a few inspired designs from the time. Some great simple things such a fit and flare 1950s style dress using a lot less fabric than the original patterns and a nice 1960s style shift dress The designs are pretty and inspiring.

This book is not for you if you are a die hard vintage fan wanting reproductions clothing close to the originals as the 1930s items will disappoint. It is more in the style of rather than true to the era
Also it does require tracing and altering but as I tend to copy all my vintage patterns before using the extra work was not a problem for me personally.

Personally the only annoying thing was the European sizing by the hip size. Anyone who has used Burda patterns before won't find this an issue. I did have to alter the main frames a touch before cutting but that could be down to my odd shape rather the sizes?!

BurdaStyle Sewing Vintage Modern
BurdaStyle Sewing Vintage Modern by Jamie Lau (Hardcover - 9 Nov. 2012)