Format: Hardcover-spiral|Change

on 1 March 2012
I was very excited about this book, due to the vast amounts of variations it seemed to offer, so was very disappointed to discover that it only contained a handful of "patterns" or "projects". The patterns contained aren't the prettiest (but of course, this is subjective).

I much prefer the variations everyone else has made on the initial patterns but there were no instructions on any of these, or how to go about making variations that I saw. Which was a bit disappointing.

As a relatively new seamstress, I wanted more guidance and I feel this book promises more than what it actually has to offer. I bought the perfect pattern making book alongside this and that seems to be a lot more informative on a basic level but also helps you to create patterns and adapt them at will.

Overall, I didn't find this book inspirational or much of a guide. But it would be harsh to say it was completely useless...To me a good sewing book, should not only guide you along the process but inspire you to create and unfortunately I felt like this book didn't do either well.
on 16 February 2012
I bought this book as I am a reasonably accomplished sewer of bags, skirtds and children's clothing but have never yet managed to make myself a dress or a blouse.
Firstly, let me say that the book is beautifully laid out and gorgeous to look at. Seeing photographs of other people's projects is always inspiring and some of the pieces featured here are stunning. Fully traceable patterns are included in a neat pocket at the back of the book and the instructions for each pattern and the featured variants appear to be clear and easy to follow.

My big complaint with the book is about sizing and lack of information on how to go about altering the patterns for those of us who are larger sized.
I bought the book hoping to actually be able to make some of the beautiful items within it. Sadly that won't be possible for me because my measurements fall outside the range in the book, which only goes up to a 41 inch bust. The book doesn't contain any mention of how to do things like a full bust alteration (or even a small bust alteration, not ignore those on the opposite end of the bust spectrum!) It does mention that altering the size of patterns is possible but doesn't have any real information on how to go about doing that.

It also states in the section on measuring that you should choose a pattern based on your full bust measurement in order to get a good fit around the neck and shoulders but for many women this is simply not the case, especially if like me you have a 6 or 7 inch difference between your full and high bust measurements, or a back which is much smaller than your front.

I think this book is beautiful. I think if you fall within the specified measurement chart and don't need to substantially alter the patterns then this book will be a delight to you. But if, like me, you don't fit those parameters, it might be best to look elsewhere.
on 9 July 2012
I bought this book with a bit of trepidation that it would be another sewing book with gorgeous pictures but not a lot of content that I can take away from it. This book proved me wrong. I loved the basic patterns you got with it and the demonstrations of how you can update them. It really got me thnking about how I can alter an outfit I sew when sometimes I get lazy and follow a pattern word for word. Great book!
on 6 September 2012
eventhough the designs are not to die for, it is a useful book.

I made some modification to one of the skirts and mixed it with the pattern of another top that I had and I got a very beautiful dress.

The tips in the book are really good and easy to follow.
on 27 February 2013
All the patterns are in here, there is also loads of inspriation for each project, would suit both beginners and advance sewers alike. As with all burda patterns the sizes are good.
on 14 June 2013
I couldn't wait to get my hands on this book as everyone on the sewing blogs was raving about it. It's a good starting point for the novice or slightly experienced sewer, with the added advantage of containing several patterns. I have yet to make one of these up, but there are one or two that I particularly like and had I bought them seperately they most likely would have cost the same as this collection and lovely book...
on 11 February 2012
The Burda pattern book contains good basic patterns that are easily adaptable to create your own designs. Clear instructions on how to create and adapt each pattern. There is a basic tunic / top design, coat, skirt and bag.
on 30 January 2014
I am not sure whether it is useful at all for those who never touched a sewing machine, but for those who have it's pretty useless. It does not teach much, the visuals are not too good either. It's a lot of text - it should be something easy to look at when doing. The plans provided are so uninteresting. What can i say, a total disappointment.
on 14 January 2014
I have coverted this book a while and with my Christmas voucher I had to have it. It lives up to expectations. Some beginners may find the thought of pattern tracing and so daunting, but stick with it and you will be rewarded.
on 24 November 2013
You can also change the patterns and it it your own. They are already giving you lots of Ideas. I love everything that Burda does and buy their magazine every month.