Format: Paperback|Change

on 14 February 2012
I got this for the advice on how to design sweaters to 'fit and flatter', and Melville's advice on this seems very good. But though I liked the first two books in her "Knitting Experience" series, and have made clothes from them, there are only a couple of garments here that I'd even consider making. A knitted pleated skirt, anyone? Or a hairband? Or a lace dress in thick wool? Even one of the more appealing items, a cardigan with cable and rib shaping, has one of those lines of cable most unflatteringly placed. It's still worth keeping (just), but if I'd been able to see a preview gallery of the garments I don't think I'd have spent the money.
on 9 May 2010
I actually saw this book in my local library and fell in love with a red cardigan. I don't knit myself so took it home for my mum to do. She has been knitting for over 50 years but couldn't make any sence of the pattern so I took it to a neighbour who has neen knitting for over 60 years, still no luck, she showed it to a friend who showed it to a friend (your getting the idea now !!!!!)So basically with over 100 years of pooled knowledge I'm still without my lovely red cardigan. Maybe we were all being really thick but I'm very glad I didn't buy this book. Why not order it from your local library, you decide.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 29 August 2013
As an experienced knitter I got this book for the instructions on making patterns to fit and flatter as I am a petite size. The instructions for altering to fit are good and clear to understand. Some of the patterns are great and I have already started to make the grey cardigan and will be making a few more that I like. Some of the patterns are not what I would make or wear but generally speaking it is a good book and I am glad that I have it as I will get good use from it.
on 3 April 2010
This book is better than I was expecting. The notes on getting the length & fit right were easy to understand & comprehensive.
The patterns are varied & although not all to my taste are well written. The Gray cardigan pattern in particular is very well done & easy to follow, with no mistakes (almost unheard of with patterns these days) & knits up beautifully.
If all the patterns had been to my taste I would have given it a 5 star rating.
on 1 October 2014
Great book for advanced beginner and intermediate knitters. Nice piece on knitting to suit YOUR BODY, not a model's body. I like Sally's designs better than her daughter's, but I am closer to Sally's age. Have knit several pieces, all turned out as illustrated and look great. Recommended.
on 7 June 2014
I loved this book, the pictures are beautiful and the patterns are easy to follow. There are a few mistakes but if you check out Sally's site the mistakes are listed there. I love this book and am planning on buying winter knits asap
on 18 April 2013
got this book out of the library but then just had to buy it - Lots of realy great patterns
on 13 September 2014
Nothing really interested me.