Format: Paperback|Change

on 26 February 2011
I was very excited about getting this book in the post. There are some fantastic designs, and it's really inspiring to see the variety of styles that can be worked in crochet. The photos are also beautiful. However, I have started making one of the pieces, and unfortunately, there seem to be some errors and omissions in the instructions. I'm hoping I'll be able to work out how to overcome these, but it means that it's definitely not a book for beginners.
11 comment|63 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 May 2011
This is a gorgeous book and has really revitalised my enthusiasm for crochet but it does have at least one serious error within the pattern for 'Magical Wave stole'. It's so disappointing to be a good way through a new project - using a brand new technique - only to be faced with the choice of unpicking hours of work to start again from a diagram (because the written pattern is wrong) or try and compensate for the error, botch it and carry on. Either way, I can't quite recapture the excitement I had for this project.

The patterns are, for the most part, really quite involved so it's not easy to spot a mistake in the pattern. I'd still recommend because it is an inspiring book with beautiful photographs and interesting biographies of both the crafters and their techniques, but proceed with caution when starting a project.
on 5 March 2012
Oh wow this book really does show you what crochet can achieve. Beautiful beautiful photos, along with instructions on the techniques. I think to learn the actual skills in the book, you'd probably have to go and look for a book or You Tube vid that is dedicated to a particular branch of crochet, but for an overview of some advance techniques, this book is a wonderful start.

Breathtakingly inspiring, boring old granny squares this is not!
on 27 May 2011
I bought this with Amazon vouchers & it arrived this morning. Since then I have done nothing but read it & be inspired. It is wonderful to learn of new techniques as I have been crocheting for quite a few years & love something new. This certainly hits the spot. It would be an inspiration to those who have experience in crochet, those beginners wishing to know what they can hope to progress to with practice & the medium stage crocheters who want a change & are not afraid to try one. Each technique is written by an expert in that field, has instructions on that particular method & a pattern. Not everyone of these appeals to me but there is info. on availability of more of these patterns. The photography is excellent & the diagrams clear.,making this a dream of a book. I can't wait to start , the only problem is what first? A great use of my vouchers & an ideal birthday present.!
on 17 July 2015
This book is a great look at all of the different styles of crochet, I often find it difficutl to find books with more advanced patterns in them, so sick of granny squares and shawls.... but this has some fantastic information on thread crochet etc. The colour work is amazing and great lists for shopping for each style. I would say that to attempt any of these new styles you probably wouldn't be able to just use your stash to complete them, as each needs it's specialist threads or hooks, but the book explains what you need really well. I know it's expensive but just buy it!!!
on 3 May 2013
Even though i am more of a knitter than crocheter, this was my best buy on Amazon so far. The book is absolutely fantastic in explaining about all the different kinds of crochet and giving patterns accordingly. Allthough not all to my taste, they have succeeded in giving me lots of inspiration for a crochet project. The color 'painting' by the use of 3 embroidering threads as well as the overlay technique were new and exciting ways to get to know and taught about!
on 13 April 2011
I love this book. It is full of colour. It also has techniques in it which I haven't come across before which as I have been doing crochet for around fifty years now is saying something. I generally find one or two patterns in a book which I will have a go at but I want to do many more from this one. Well worth the money.
55 comments|7 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 27 December 2011
There are more types of crochet than I ever thought possible. Detailed instructions for each method followed by a project. I've wanted to learn hairpin crochet since the 1970's - now I have instructions I can follow. The painted crochet and bruges lace crochet are next on my list, followed by the overlaid crochet. It's useful to have these techniques in one volume just for reference, even if you don't want to do the project - I'm also planning my own version of a painted crochet project. The book is truly inspiringCrochet Master Class
on 18 February 2013
Very informative and clearly understood,as an experienced crocheter there were ideas I had not thought of . A very useful book.
on 18 June 2012
Bought this as a present for an experienced crocheter and it is ideal. Well illustrated and patterns are laid out well.