Format: Hardcover|Change

on 13 April 2006
Amazing selection of knitted flowers.Plenty of room for creativity as there is a wide selection of wonderful flowers using plenty of interesting yarns.The yarns are from other countries but will easily be substituted with growing number of yarns being produced in the uk. The extra patterns included show of the knitted masterpieces wonderfully and include cushion,bag,wrap,ponchette and hat.There are 5 chapters covering stitch pattern flowers/petal constructed flowers/cord flowers/felted stitch pattern flowers/felted cut flowers.I have been knitting for over 40 years and this is the book I have been waiting for.Only one critisism I wish we could be shown a little preview of the contents of books as other sites do as this publication is just too beautiful for words.Only personal drawback for me there is not enough spare hours in a day to complete all the projects.
22 comments|118 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 September 2005
Knitting over the edge is not a pattern book. (Although it does have patterns for five finished pieces) It is a book filled to the brim with swatches for all those details you can add to other items.
For a long time now I have realised that the difference between a "nice" hand knitted item and a fabulous hand knitted item is in the finishing and the personal touches you can add.
So from rib patterns that look like bamboo, to sections on colour knitting that include a zebra strip pattern this is now a book I will never be without. It is a gorgeous book, full of fabulous colour swatches and stitch patterns.Whilst it might not all be to everyone's taste - (knitted balls, anyone?) this is most certainly one for your collection.
It is divinely inspirational - and I for one will never knit a boring 2x2rib again.
The only reason this book does not get Five Stars is that the techniques are not always explained in detail (and charting for the cables would have been proffered). But it is still a lovely book, and fantastic addition to anyones knitting library.
11 comment|109 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 10 December 2008
One thing you can say about Nicky Epstein, whether you like her style are not, she is inventive. I personally feel she goes from fab to nightmare in one fell swoop and the whole gamut is run through here.

Thirty scarves are invented encompassing great style Moorish Medallion and Hot wheels, for example, but designer disaster in Mouse Trap and Cookie Cooker Felt. Up-to-date designs bring you Bada Bing. On the whole, these scarves play to a wide audience and many appeal to younger people. Tweedy values will appeal to older knitters. On the whole, they are wearable.

These inventive patterns explore a variety of knitting techniques such as fair-isle, lace and textured stitches whilst also making use of other disciplines, such as applique, felting and weaving. Fringes and edging are given the real Epstein touch. Learn how to fringe like a pro and how to create perfect spirals. There is a short section dedicated to scarf fringing - the ten ideas are fabulous, I love that corkscrew edging. There are also five ways to tie a scarf. The resources directory lists a few suppliers in the UK. Be aware that when substituting yarn, you need to do a tension swatch to match tension. Resourceful and original, Nicky Epstein's scarves are very different. b sure you like her style before you buy.
on 13 December 2010
I am really pleased with this knitting book. Too many are old fashioned but this one has very modern designs and colours and is notably different from the rest. It has a range of designs starting with the easy ones for new knitters, gradually increasing in complexity through to ones suitable for experienced knitters. The photographs are excellent, the patterns are very clear, and there is good, clear advice on creating your own designs. There is information also on how to join your work, edgings and different yarn. There is an excellent photo section at the back of the book showing all the design squares so that you can compare easily at a glance, and copy/cut them out to put together your own design of blocks. This is an excellent book and I will be looking out for anything else by this author.
on 5 May 2009
I bought this together with another book (100 flowers to knit and crochet). This one arrived first. Nice photos and clear instructions,the book is divided into sections of flowers made by knitting, felting, petal constructed etc.. however some of the patterns are not particularly attractive in my opinion. I much prefered the other book which has far more to choose from and the flowers in it are recognisably differing species such as poppies, fusias, lavender and many more. However as the title suggests it's not just knitted and you would need to be able to follow very simple crocheting instructions.
on 9 August 2012
I had this book on pre-order as soon as notification came out, so I was thrilled to finally see it arrive.

Having read the other reviews, I can appreciate where those who are 'unimpressed' are coming from. However, I sense that they were hoping for a huge book of designs to make and wear, where I personally see this as more of a directory with a few patterns inserted to give you ideas to design and put together your own stuff, which I consider is a strong part of Nicky Epsteins intentions with all of her books - emphasis to empower the reader to explore their own potential. Nicky never pretends that her patterns are meant to impress everyone, simply an idea to begin and recommendations for variations always available. I suspect that its highly possible that Epstein fans who have said they are dissapointed in this book have now got to the point where they expect her to write purely for them as "advanced Epsteiners" instead of continuing to make her work available to all levels of knitter.

If you already have a lot of patterns which give you knitted circular stitches, then perhaps you will not find enough new stuff here to excite you. However, I don't, so I'm thrilled to have a starting point through to advanced technique for knitted circles on stitch directory level in contrast to the more traditional expectation of needing to crochet all spirals and circles. In Europe and the Eastern Block, it is very on trend and haute couture to have outfits of the style in this book - evening wear and classy, and I have many books written in russian for the crochet versions and simply use the charts and photographs to interpret how to make them since I don't speak the language. By starting out with the basic designs and making up your own outfits following Nicky's recommendations means you'll have something unique and copyright free.

I am an avid Nicky Epstein fan, however I don't and won't own every single one of her books as I do recognise what I'm expecting to get out of it first.
In thinking about whether to purchase this book, think first about what you actually want it to give you. If you want a directory of knitted circular/spiral stitches and techniques for beginners through to advanced, with information how to integrate into a garment or blanket etc., then this book is for you. If you are looking for a book of patterns to work through without using your own imagination, then don't buy it.

Hope this helps.
VINE VOICEon 20 September 2008
With a few patterns more for inspiration than anything else this is more a book about different methods of felting and how to achieve different effects from felting knitted fabric. Includes some things to do with old or accidentally felted jumpers.

It's an excellent overview, almost too much for a beginner but would be excellent for people looking to expand their knowledge and looking to go beyond the basics.
on 26 July 2011
After reading all the "stunned" and "amazed" reviews i bought this book, and I'm sorry to say I'm a bit disappointed.
The book gives a few different square backgrounds to knit - not much more than you'd find in a stitch directory, or if knitting a slightly bigger tension swatch, and then a variety of things to do with decorations you then add on top. I thought that the knitting would be integrated in some way, not "knit a square and embroider it", or add a pom pom. I also thought there might be a few more exmples of what to do with the squares afterwards. Some of the choices for colour squares are a bit odd to be honest.
That said the photography and layout is lovely, the dinosaur pattern would look lovely on a sweater for my nephew. But unless I'm inclined to knit some beadspreads I dont see me using it much.
Shame, it looked so promising.
on 10 December 2010
Nicky Epstein has come up with another gem, so many wonderful creative ideas which she so generously shares with her readers. The instructions are clearly written, the lovely projects are very accessible to even novice knitters and the illustrations make you want to rush out, buy some wool and start knitting immediately
on 15 November 2010
I have just purchased this book and I have to say it is stunning. I have never seen such creativity. I have just started to knit again after quite a long time and am a little rusty but it is coming back to me. This book is not for the complete novice purely because there are no diagrams as such. Luckily for me I have quite a few books on knitting now and each one offers something different so I am able to get help from each one of them.

Having said that this book has inspired me to go on and be much more creative and I am so glad I bought it as it's a lovely addition to my growing library. I would say buy it, it will inspire you.