5.0 out of 5 stars I absolutely loved it!, 8 Sep 2006
I was not expecting to like this book as much as I did. As a reasonable knitter I always thought that spending time knitting a blanket or rug is a waste and that it should be spent knitting garments - either for others or yourself - but this book sent me on a buying frenzy and I am half way through a log cabin blanket. I just love it - the whole concept is fantastic - and I asked friends and family to buy me a different skein and colour of wool for my birthday so that I can say that they are all part of my heirloom. I feel very confident in saying that you will enjoy this book and may well gain something from it that you weren't expecting.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lots to knit and read. FUN FUN book for knitters, 18 April 2006
Joanna Daneman (USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
How about knitting a dragon panel for the back of a jeans jacket? Kay Gardiner and Ann Shayne say "Yeehah! Go for it!" These designers have cooked up a knitting book that has patterns that roam far from the usual range. There are the practical--dishcloths and handtowels, the decorative (that applique panel for a denim jacket) and the just plain beautiful--a flax lace edging for a baby's traditional bassinet basket (the kind of cradle or baby bed that is a lined rush basket on a stand.)

Fun, simple project abound in this book. How about scribbles--scarves made of thick yarn and way-way thin yarn that when knitted in a stripe pattern, make a kind of floating scribble on a net of fine-gauge knitting. If you have a stash of lace yarn and some interesting novelty yarn, you have a fascinating scarf project just waiting for you. Or perhaps you would like to knit a camisole or nightie --a lace top with ribbon straps.

I found many things I wanted to knit in this book, like a bathmat in Peaches&Cream absorbent cotton, a flying geese blanket in colors like a raspberry sundae (it uses a log-cabin piece-knitting technique.) And then the fabulous "Nina" shawl that can be made loud and wild in coral, pink and black, or go completely multiple-personality with muted fuzzy yarn in the colors of a winter marshland.

There is LOTS to knit here, and the book goes from simple to moderately complex. So a beginning knitter could start on the dishcloths and scarves and graduate to intricate pieced blankets and lacework. This book is especially recommended if you like to knit gifts for people as there are many projects that beg to be made for a loved friend or relative. Highly recommended!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy it buy it buy it!, 26 July 2007
The best knitting book I've ever had.

There WILL be something that you want to knit in here. I'd started my first item within hours of the book arriving in the post. This book is a treasure-trove of simple but amazing knitting ideas, from dish cloths (way more interesting than they sound!) to bright, colourful log cabin blankets, from baby kimonos to linen hand towels. Perfect for gift ideas.

It's a pleasure to read, with humour and clear instructions throughout. Clearly written by two people who care about knitting and each other. This book brought back all the excitement that I felt when I first started knitting.

I cannot recommend this book enough, and all my knitter friends will be receiving this for their birthdays!

Buy it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational, but vague on some of the details, 25 April 2009
E. Hartley (UK) - See all my reviews
This is a great book for intermediate knitters. It challenges you to think about your knitting in a different way, trying new things with techniques you already know, and I have enjoyed reading it very much. The reason I have only awarded 4 stars is that of the 2 patterns I have attempted, both have been a bit vague about important points or had errors. It is also difficult to get a lot of the yarns used outside of the USA, so if you're not very confident at finding substitutions, this may be a problem for you.

The book has a 'how to get started' section, but if you have never knit before, this is not the book for you. There is no instructional information on the basics. If you want to start knitting, Debbie Bliss' How to Knit is a better choice. You need to be able to knit, purl and know how to pick up stitches and do a few different cast ons to get the most from this book.

In summary, this is a great book for inspiration and wit, but not so great for instruction or learning new techniques.

5.0 out of 5 stars A really enjoyable book: highly recommended., 14 April 2013
Michele Rickitt (Morpeth, Northumberland, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mason-Dixon Knitting (Paperback)
This is more than a knitting book, it is a really enjoyable read. I bought it for the Log Cabin blanket pattern, as mentioned by verypinkknits.com, and discovered it was far more than a pattern book. The authors weave wonderful stories about their adventures in knitting around all the patterns. A great addition to any knitter's book shelf.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, 11 July 2012
I ordered this book after reading reviews from other owners and have found the patterns really inspiring and can't wait to start log cabin knitting. The titbits about the authors' children and the photos are lovely and I really like this book apart from just the patterns.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic project ideas, 5 Nov 2011
Angela Blair (Glasgow) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mason-Dixon Knitting (Paperback)
This book is great for inspiring knitters to use colour and stitch techniques in new ways to create vibrant colour. Projects like the Log Cabin Blanket will become staples to make again and again

4.0 out of 5 stars Engaging, 3 Jun 2010
I really enjoyed this book and will certainly have a go at some of the projects in the book. I liked that it is not just a book with patterns but all the chatty advice and tips were really interesting.

ARRAY(0xb647d120)

Mason-Dixon Knitting
Mason-Dixon Knitting by Ann Shayne (Paperback - 7 April 2010)
16.99