on 16 March 2015
If I start with a positive, it is good that Fodor have published a guidebook on these two states, as I've searched for a long time and only been able to find 2-3 other books covering the same region. The book appears to cover most of the large tourist sites and other region al attractions. Unfortunately that is where the good news stops. In my opinion the book is unbalanced, offering lengthy reviews of hotels and restaurants, but with far too sketchy coverage of attractions. For a UK traveller visiting the US, I would have liked more information on the history, food and culture of the region. Let's be honest, one Hilton is very much like another. The information on the Skyline Drive, one of the key attractions, is very limited. I also think the rendering of the maps is dreadful. They are printed in greys and unless you know the geography of the area it is difficult to know what is sea, land or rivers. By contrast, I recently purchased the Moon guide to Virginia and Maryland, which I have found to be excellent.
on 6 September 2013
Very comprehensible description of lots of the most worthwhile things to do & see in Virginia and Maryland even if it doesn't fully capture the magic (all shades, light and dark) of Virginia.
on 27 February 2014
Not the best layout for my preference. But packed full of info. Has everything in it for the area that I needed.
on 20 August 2014
A fascinating book with a wealth of information. We are looking forward to using it on holiday in 2015.
on 6 October 2012
I would have liked more in-depth information about the area of Maryland. As I have mobility problems I need to find accessible venues to visit.