Format: Paperback|Change

on 6 November 2009
I was at first apprehensive about the book. I was surprised by the setting in which the story takes place. Haiti, or Saint-Domingue, rather than the usual Latin American background, and while revolution is constant subject for Allende, open slavery is not. Very quickly I discovered the same passion that only Allende knows how to infuse in her characters, all of them, and how she finds her heroines in the least expected places. The book is full of feelings and actions. While fantasy-reading, it touches and builds upon sore episodes of our history. I couldn't stop reading. Thoroughly recommended.
on 7 February 2011
Isabel Allende as always - excellent writer that takes you on a journey.
Have read just about everything she has written and this book is refreshing as it does not have the same underlying theme that can be found in most her novels. Something different but equaly well written!
on 31 March 2012
Dense, dark, gripping, vivid characters, and a fascinating and totally real view into an incredible period of World history. Entirely readable all the way through, rich and evocative, providing a detailed picture of time and place. Spiritual and barbaric, beautiful, sad, and heart warming in turns. A truly great book.
on 21 April 2014
I liked this book, mix of fiction and historic facts. Entertaining and quite on the line of Isabel Allende's style. Very cruel descriptions of the abuses against the slaves and sometimes very sad. I learnt a lot about a piece of history totally unknown to me. Good reading but the only con is the amazing amount of typos. I read it on Spanish as I assumed the author wrote it in Spanish but sometimes it looks more like a poor translation from another language. I have never come before through a book with so many typos (misspellings, duplicity of words, missing words and incomplete sentences). I read the kindle version maybe the non electronic format does not have so many mistakes.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 19 August 2014
One of the best novels I have ever read in Spanish. It covers a terribly difficult time in history for black people and how this slave was able to overcome so many adversities and atrocities to attain her freedom. It gives a brief insight into the Haitian and French Revolutions and their impact on slavery and the island and its people. It motivated me to want to learn more about this history and those persons who had the most influence..
on 12 November 2015
Un poco desilucionado con el libro. No por la calidad de la escritura, sino por la historia. No logro capturarme como otras historias de Allende. Sin embargo, fue una lectura interesante. No memorable, pero entretenida.
on 3 July 2013
An absolutely fantastic read.... Highly recommended. Another one of Allende's masterpieces. I could not put it down and I would have go on for another 1000 pages.
on 14 January 2013
Beautifully written. A delightful reading.
A very interesting story that takes you back in time and give you an inside view of slavery in history.
on 20 August 2014
amazing I couldn't put the book down ! historic, romantic and sad stories of slavery and injustice...
of one woman and he r loved ones.
on 21 September 2014
Excellent book. Read it in Spanish and I assume the Hispanic theme might have benefit for reading it in it's original tonge