5.0 out of 5 stars Sockie-wockie-doodle all the day ...
Published on 5 May 2010 by Mrs. P. J. Beeching

3.0 out of 5 stars a variation on a theme
Some good socks to knit - would have liked a few more more simple patterns at the beginning - useful.
Published 19 months ago by Dixie

5.0 out of 5 stars Sockie-wockie-doodle all the day ..., 5 May 2010
This review is from: Toe-Up Socks for Every Body (Paperback)
Most of everything I've ever learned about knitting socks from the toe up has come from Ms. Johnson's patterns and website instructions and this book was on pre-order as soon as I heard about it. I've finished the 'Basket Case' socks which use a Japanese-type travelling stitch and found that the toe, sole and heel are knitted in a smaller needle than the instep and cuff which makes for a great fit. Simple or what? None of the patterns are disappointing, most of them are ones that I'm going to knit and all in all, this book is great value, very interesting, stunning patterns and great illustrations.

Most of the patterns are knitted using the 2 circular needle method but a set of double-pointed needles can be easily substituted for us dyed-in-the-wool dpn lovers.

Summary: love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars beautiful patterns....., 6 Sep 2011
This review is from: Toe-Up Socks for Every Body (Paperback)
This book is a must purchase for those interested in knitting socks. I would not recommend it for the beginner simply because some of the patterns are fairly complex and maybe a more basic pattern book would be a good place to start. There are about 26 patterns in this book, divided into sections for lace, cable and coloured socks.All the socks are knitted using the figure of eight, turkish, or commonly known Judy's magic cast on , these are easy once you have got the hang of them, I looked on utube as I had always knitted socks the old fashioned way my Granny taught me, but this gives a fantastically neat start, no lumpy toe seams here......
The patterns are laid out clearly using the chart method not the written word and some of the more complex patterns have more than one chart, so for example you may knit, chart a, b, and then c all in one row, this is why it may appear daunting , unless you are familiar with some experience of pattern knitting. The instructions are very clear though ,before each section there are a couple of pages detailing techniques and helpful tips and each pattern is graded for difficulty. I have several pattern books for socks as I am a bit of hoarder, but I come back to this one again and again for inspiration.As it is an american book the yarns used are hard if not impossible and ,or expensive to get hold of, but I have always managed to find substitutes using the needle size as a guide, but ALWAYS knit a tension square first to achieve sock perfection.......
If you are an absolute sock virgin, a very easy pattern is in .The little book of luxury knits which would be a good purchase for a new knitter.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sock Knitters Enjoy, 9 Mar 2012
This review is from: Toe-Up Socks for Every Body (Paperback)
This is a really good book. Very detailed explanation and lots of different patterns. It will keep me knitting socks for many months to come. Definitely recommend it

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, 24 April 2013
This review is from: Toe-Up Socks for Every Body (Paperback)
Claer instructions and they are easy to follow. Various alternatives for cast on, toes and heels. Great variety of different patterns

3.0 out of 5 stars a variation on a theme, 28 Jan 2013

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book for the adventurous, 23 Nov 2012
This review is from: Toe-Up Socks for Every Body (Paperback)
I really like this book and have read it again and again. It has a good collection of patterns and sections of different techniques to try. I love working socks from the toe up and this book covers all the essential skills required to make all the socks in this book and create your own socks too! I would say ensure you use a long, smooth, circular needle for socks, to ensure your stitches will slide easily from your needles onto the cord. I personally would use metal or plastic, as under the tight tension you can get from cabling etc, bamboo and wooden needles this thin can break. Enjoy :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars For the Feet!!, 12 Jan 2011
This review is from: Toe-Up Socks for Every Body (Paperback)
I am not a proficient 'sock knitter' but this book has the advantage of being able to buy say two balls of wool and being able to extend the leg to the longest possible or until you run out of yarn. I have so many small amounts of wool left from knitting socks top down, not knowing how much wool is required to complete the 2nd sock.

The one downside of the book is that there is no pattern for D/K or above.

5.0 out of 5 stars Toe-up socks - Wow!, 26 May 2010
Mrs. M. R. Harvey "Mobile Mad" (Norfolk UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Toe-Up Socks for Every Body (Paperback)
What a really great book. I think this is the one book that I will probably use all of the patterns.

If you only buy one sock knitting book - make it this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Toe-up socks, 12 Jun 2010
This review is from: Toe-Up Socks for Every Body (Paperback)
Book was delevered very promptly. This is one of the book I wanted for a while. I have already started to knit a pattern from this book. Photography is great. Only criticism I would like to make that the book is deffinetly not for begginers. Experienced knitter like myself will enjoy it. Hill gusseet needs a bit more explanation. Overall it is a good book and interesting.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 24 Feb 2014
This book answered all my questions about toe-up socks. I was always afraid that toe-up socks would be too difficult to work, especially the heel, but I was completely wrong. I just love this book.

Toe-Up Socks for Every Body
Toe-Up Socks for Every Body by Wendy D. Johnson (Paperback - 7 May 2010)
12.78