4.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational
I have had this book for a couple of months now but have been too busy knitting to get around to writing a review. Having started to knit little hats for the Age Concern + well-known smoothie drink company campaign to raise money for the elderly, I was looking for inspiration to make the task more interesting. This book was exactly what I was looking for. There are...
Published on 12 Sep 2011 by Charmaine

3.0 out of 5 stars Chic With Stixs Gets Knotty
The stitches in this book are interesting, with excellent photos alongside.
However, the written patterns are very confusing - I have had to resort to writting them out in longhand.
So I recommend you leave Potter Crafts 400 Knitting Stitches on the shelf and make the superior purchase of 'The Ultimate Sourcebook' by Harmony Guides.
Published on 25 Nov 2009 by Judi

‹ Previous | 1 2 37 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Result!, 2 Jan 2014
This review is from: 400 Knitting Stitches: A Complete Dictionary of Essential Stitch Patterns (Paperback)
I think I have just purchased the perfect knitting book! If you are a keen knitter you will think you have died and gone to heaven when you get your hands on this. There is enough information to enable you to produce each stitch/pattern without the inclusion of a lot of explanations and waffle. For someone who is new to knitting, the author has included a few pages of basic advice at the beginning of the book which would be enough to get you started. Probably not a good 'first' knitting book though.

This book is really a gem and well worth the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Birthday Present, 19 Feb 2013
PennyM (Dartford, UK) - See all my reviews
For many years I've had a similar book to this which has been invaluable. A friend has recently developed an interest in knitting so this book seemed to be an ideal gift. She was delighted. It's a real 'Knitter's Bible'!

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally...., 17 Jan 2013
Just what I've been looking for - this for me is the book others claim to be but are not.

I think this book fills it's description of being for any level knitter - for a beginner it's an excellent resource that will grow with you as you get experience and for an advanced knitter it's all you need for making your own patterns.

A book of stitches with clear instructions, good pictures and charts and no useless patterns or "projects" tacked on to pad out the book -

5.0 out of 5 stars perfect, lots of ideas, 15 Nov 2012
exactly what i wanted.New book, with pics and schemes. but not for begginers. just perfect for creating ur own ideas.:)))thank you

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential, 18 Jun 2012
C. Doolan (Scotland) - See all my reviews
How i wish I had ordered this a long time ago. It is filled with such an amazing variety of stitches and some of the best are simple combinations of knit and purl. I can't wait to start doing something I thought I would never be able to do and that's design my own stuff instead of looking for a design I like. All I need to do is take some of my old patterns and exchange their designs for some of the gorgeous stuff in this indispensible book.

5.0 out of 5 stars just impossible not to like some patterns here, 22 April 2012
Knitting is one of my passions, as it relaxes me very much, and I was looking for some new patterns. This book is all you need if you know the basics and you don' t need guidance on how to shape your project. You' ll find the patterns kitted in small squares, all having the chart, the description of the technique and the picture of the pattern itself. Indeed, some may say that it repets itself at times (e.g. diagonal 5 to the right, diagonal 5 to the left)...but it still has so many, diverse patterns, that you will find something you like or need, for sure. I am very pleased with this book and can' t wait to start at least some new projects.

3.0 out of 5 stars NOT for beginners, 21 Aug 2012
I am a beginner knitter, I desperately was trying to work out how to do a purl stitch, and I specifically bought this book because the description included "for beginners." It's not.

The stitches are demonstrated through photographs in cream-coloured wool, so that you can't see the detail properly. I have more success with drawn illustrations that show clearly the outlines of the wool, and also have directional arrows in the drawing.

No matter how hard I tried, I could not work out a purl stitch from this book, and finally learnt it from a video clip on Youtube.

It looks like a very comprehensive book with many, many stitches, so I will keep it for further reference for when I'm a more advanced knitter.

But it's not for my current level.

5.0 out of 5 stars Knitting stitches, 3 Jun 2011
To whom it may concern, Ifind this book very good as it has lots of new stitches that i have not tried before, so there's great variety. Margaret

4.0 out of 5 stars does what it says on the tin, 22 Dec 2011
It has 400 stitches in it, some of them good some of them a bit far fetched, it would have been more use if there were a bit more guidance about which stitches were best for which uses but otherwise it is aq useful reference book but it could have been better

5.0 out of 5 stars 400 Knitting stitches, 2 July 2011
Mrs. Theresa L. M. Eagles "Volvolady" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Brilliant book for any knitter to dip into for stitch ideas. Saw this and another similar book in local bookshop, but decided they were too expensive to justify a purchase. Tried Amazon when I returned home and they came up with an ideal price. Can highly recommend book and Amazon.

‹ Previous | 1 2 37 | Next ›