4.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational
Published on 12 Sep 2011 by Charmaine

3.0 out of 5 stars Chic With Stixs Gets Knotty
The stitches in this book are interesting, with excellent photos alongside.
However, the written patterns are very confusing - I have had to resort to writting them out in longhand.
So I recommend you leave Potter Crafts 400 Knitting Stitches on the shelf and make the superior purchase of 'The Ultimate Sourcebook' by Harmony Guides.
Published on 25 Nov 2009 by Judi

4.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational, 12 Sep 2011
This review is from: 400 Knitting Stitches: A Complete Dictionary of Essential Stitch Patterns (Paperback)
I have had this book for a couple of months now but have been too busy knitting to get around to writing a review. Having started to knit little hats for the Age Concern + well-known smoothie drink company campaign to raise money for the elderly, I was looking for inspiration to make the task more interesting. This book was exactly what I was looking for. There are rather a lot of large cable patterns, which I can't use for this particular project but I'm sure they'll come in handy in the future. There are lots of simple but effective patterns and it's great to be able to chose between written and chart instructions.

One note of caution however. On page 47 there is an omission in the written instruction for the pattern called 'small fancy twist'. You need to K2 after slipping one knitwise. On page 142 the written instructions for Wisteria stitch do not tally with the chart.

4.0 out of 5 stars Love the book, but one criticism., 23 Jun 2011
Firstly - the good:
FORMAT: the size makes this easy to handle . It is a paperback but very good quality and the integral folded cover means marking a page is simple.
PICTURES: Very clear photographs, and all samples are knitted WELL in the same cream colour. This makes comparing and choosing really easy. This colour also shows patterns very clearly.
LAYOUT: It is split into various sections eg Knit/purl stitches, Crossed stitches & Cables - again making it easy to choose and compare.
Now the reason it lost a star (for me):
INSTRUCTIONS: Both written and charted instructions are printed beside the picture. For those who can read charts (not me!), there is an appendix of the symbols at the back, which is great. BUT -the written instructions are unnecessarily complicated. There is no matching appendix of abbreviations at the back. As it is, the first time an instruction comes up in a pattern, the full instruction is printed and when it comes up again in the same pattern, the instruction is not concise enough. This makes the pattern clumsy to read. Not impossible but I find it irritating.
I can see why another reveiwer writes the instructions out for themself.
A simple, eg 'C6F', with explanation in an Appendix, would simplify the pattern instruction. Also, the more usual method of printing each row on a separate line would make it easier to follow.
I wouldn't be without this book, though; it is full of inspiration, well illustrated and generally an excellent buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very useful for every knitter, 31 Oct 2010
I find this book very useful for every knitter since it has so many stitches to choose from.It has really answered my questions as to how are the stitches used by famous designers made.I like to experiment and get new ideas for my knitting and this book has given me plenty.

5.0 out of 5 stars never be lost for the right stitch, 30 Mar 2011
This book has so many choices that you really do not need anything else for daily knitting. Most can be adapted to any ply of wool and can even be used for silks and ribbons. I had lost my, very expensive, a-z of stitches and needed a new one...this turned out to exceedingly low cost and had more items listed than the book I lost.
I recommend it to any knitter...learner or professional, and, yes, I was a professional for many years, now I do it for fun.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent knitting dictionary!, 7 May 2013
S. K. Davidson (Aberdeen, Scotland) - See all my reviews
I love - LOVE - this book. I had no idea so many different stitches and patterns existed.
To be honest, some of the more intricate patterns are probably not the easiest to get the hang of if you are a complete beginner (I am struggling with some of the written instructions.)
However, I would not let that put me off - combine the book with a couple of simple YouTube instruction videos (there are thousands out there) and the various techniques and patterns in the book are likely to make a lot more sense.

3.0 out of 5 stars Chic With Stixs Gets Knotty, 25 Nov 2009
Judi (Hillsborough, Co Down) - See all my reviews
The stitches in this book are interesting, with excellent photos alongside.

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfectly described, 7 Mar 2013
L. Smith - See all my reviews
There isn't much in this book for a beginner but if you know the basics here is your reference to put your own stamp on your knitwear

5.0 out of 5 stars 400 Knitting stitches, 24 Feb 2013
A good book giving very good details of all the stitches which will enable you to be able to design your own patterns using various stitches so that you may make a garment that is exclusive to you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just What I Knitted, 29 Jun 2011
Having taken up knitting again and having lots of bits of wool left over I was looking for a book with different stitches I could try while knitting up squares. This book is just what I was looking for.

4.0 out of 5 stars ok but, 12 Feb 2014
As an older person learning to knit I found the use of (-) (I) symbols to show the pattern to knit from a distraction. It meant I had to translate the code to knit from as I would have preferred K and P in the guide boxes rather than - I. Most new knitters would have recognised this consistency as the norm.
Otherwise plenty of potential to learn new stitches, But for me I will progress more slowly due to the above comment.

400 Knitting Stitches: A Complete Dictionary of Essential Stitch Patterns