4.0 out of 5 stars Love the Section on Fries!!, 16 Jun 2011
Abdulla M. Al Qasim (Bahrain) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bobby Flay's Burgers, Fries, & Shakes (Hardcover)
I've bought several burger books and a few of them have not really measured up but I like this one for its simplistic approach. The burger patties require a few and basic ingredients, I had always thought that there must be some sort of secret to making good burgers... Even though I am somewhat satisfied with the results that I have gotten so far, I think that I might tinker with the patty recipe a bit more reach perfection.

In terms of fries, which I just can't get enough of, the book explains the double frying method beautifully and simply... I always used to tell everyone that a single fry will either give you soggy and limp fries or crispy fries on the outside and raw potato on the inside which is really nasty to bite into! Also, the book confirmed my theory about soaking fires for a few hours before actually frying them!! There is good range of chips, fries, and wedges to go through... but there is beating just plain old good fries or chips!

The shakes in the book are also good but not spectacular. Don't get me wrong I'm not saying that they will be a disappointment, I'm just saying that they are not Michelin Star material. I've tried three or four and was happy with the results, but the one that I had higher expectations for was the roasted marshmallow shake... it came out tasting like a plain vanilla shake... maybe I did something wrong, not really a catastrophe.

I enjoyed the presentation of the book and way it was printed, unlike all the other genres where illustrations are not necessary, I think printing a book on recycled brownish paper is fine, but not when it comes to cookery books! The book is a hardcover, which really good, and is printed on high gloss paper which really amplifies the abundant images in the book which make it a pleasure to flip through. Even my niece enjoyed the book as well as she was curious about making shakes and fries. Therefore, in terms of presentation, the book scores big marks as both children and adults can enjoy it. (Children will definitely need to be supervised when preparing any of these recipes, even the shakes, as they can cause nasty accidents or horrific messes!)

All in all a good book that will provide those who want to have good burger, fries and shake an alternative to driving to a junk food restaurant and pigging out! Easy instructions to follow and apply.

5.0 out of 5 stars Yum Yum, 27 July 2010
This review is from: Bobby Flay's Burgers, Fries, & Shakes (Hardcover)
Maybe being an American living in London has something to do with my pleasure in this book, but I would purchase this book again just for the milkshake "recipes". A simple substitution turned the blackberry cheesecake recipe into a simply amazing strawberry cheesecake milkshake, toasted marshmallow,roasted pineapple, peach bellini, dark chocolate milkshake with "fluffy" coconut cream anyone? These make a seriously yummy alternative dessert on a hot (or even lukewarm) summer's day!

Bobby Flay's Burgers, Fries, & Shakes
Bobby Flay's Burgers, Fries, & Shakes by Bobby Flay (Hardcover - 14 April 2009)
15.21