on 20 December 2011
Much as I love the Biggest Loser as an entertaining show, I wasn't really expecting this book to be any good and bought it off the back of the reviews. I definitely was not hoping for shoddy 'Dr' Gillian McKeith style science.

HOwever I was really pleasantly surprised. I had bought it because of recurring issues with reproductive hormones which the doctors seem to be at a loss with, if a contraceptive pill or anti-depressant doesn't change it, they don't seem to know what else to look at. So I am doing some reading.

What I liked about it was that it explained the biological mechanisms behind the advice. Some people might not like that level of detail if they are looking for essentially a diet book, but for me it is essential to know why someone is suggesting something. I am married to a bio-medic and he's very skeptical of this sort of thing. However when I have asked him to look at certain parts of the book he has agreed that the mechanisms she describes are as he understands. As he doesn't work in endocrinology I am not trying to suggest that therefore he is endorsing all the science in it and some of the information about how the hormones interact with each other was new to him but we have both found it really interesting.

Gillian assumes that your main reason for reading is likely to be weight loss and general lack of well-being so concentrates on those hormones which have an effect on the parts of metabolism which may affect weight, but doesn't narrowly stick to those. Instead she explains how a raft of them interdepend, interact and interfere with each other, and then how your actions can tip one or two over the edge and set off a chain reaction which goes way beyond the initial effect.

The recommendations she gives are fairly simple and global, and there are no quick fixes for the short-cut seeker. In essence it is an anti-diet book, in the sense of warning against diet plans which cut out food groups or rely on diet foods. It's essentially wholefoods in the right proportions at the right times. But firstly it is useful to know why you're doing that, and secondly there ARE some specifics which are easy to apply as rules. Such as not eating carbs within an hour or two of going to sleep because the raised insulin needed to deal with them can interfere with a nocturnal pulse of Human Growth Hormone, the biggest shot we get in a day. Or how hormone levels over the course of a day can inform how best to spread your intake of food over the day to get the maximum benefit. Or why you just shouldn't ever (EVER) drink diet drinks. (Really).

There is so much general "clear the crap out, eat right, sleep more and exercise more" advice out there but sometimes it's hard to know why exactly you should be doing it and whether it will really make a difference. This book gave me good logical reasons to follow a certain path, and amazingly gave my scientifically skeptical, chocaholic husband enough evidence convince him to volunteer to join me.
33 comments|73 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 October 2013
I bought this book 3 years ago when I couldn't fit into a uniform and bought some scales to see the real damage. I had peaked at 15 stone 10 having been 10 st 6 at 21: not a good position to be in having given up cigarettes about 5 times. I read this book in a weekend and implemented the key tenants immediately and started her work out plan. I lost a stone in the first month and more steadily over the next 3 years. I have lost 3 stone of fat and put on a stone of muscle since. This a book that essentially teaches us when and why to eat certain foods. E.g pasta at lunch time not at night, why diet drinks are just as bad as full fat ones and why 8 hours of sleep is essential and caffeine isn't and why sleep and exercise play such an important part in our lifes. In essence, this book reshaped my life - It is not a diet book, it is so much more than that
on 7 June 2009
Jillian Michaels explains hormones and metabolism in terms that are easy for anyone to understand. Being her, she takes an extreme view of how we should all be protecting ourselves from environmental issues.

The book is well written in everyday (American) language and for the first time in over 30 years I understand the condition I have suffered from since the birth of my first child. This is not an easy option diet book, its about being the healthiest you can be. Great for those looking for information not for those wanting a quick fix. Well after all it is America's toughest trainer, what would you expect?
on 17 August 2013
Thought this book would be very Americanised and products would be different. But it was very informative. And have applied many of jillians ideas to my life and I have felt a lot better.
on 4 January 2010
Adding to the previous reviews, Jillian has got to the heart of my life long problems PMS and an under active thyroid. She brought home to me that we put an unreasonable amount of chemicals into our bodies with out realising. It went deap and I have already changed my habits with no real effort.
on 13 January 2014
This is a great book but the Kindle version is terrible. The formatting is so bad that often you can't see half of the page! I'm really unimpressed with the quality of the Kindle version, especially considering it cost me money and I'm unable to read all of it!
on 17 December 2010
The book has a lot of interesting and useful information and is worth reading. Have seen some improvements within a few weeks by trying a few changes advised.
on 21 November 2009
A quality book from the well respected Jillian Michaels. Detailed medical research facts throughout the book but relayed in Jillian's no nonsense approach.

I've read countless books on this subject and found Jillian's style incredibly easy to follow. The book is basically telling you to cut out processed, chemical laden foods and drinks. Also expelling the myths behind diet sodas and so called healthy foods.

If you are looking to lead a healthy life, then this book is a definite must.
on 17 January 2015
It's really worth it. Includes very comprehensive information about what imparts our metabolism (you'll be surprised!) and a diet plan - so American! - but also simple tips for everyday life if you choose not to follow Ms Michaels' diet. Highly recommended.
on 21 April 2010
I got so engrossed in the information in this book I could not put it down and finished it in 2 days!! If you are unsure on how hormones & foods that you put into your body affect you then this book is for you. Highly recommend it.