Much as I love the Biggest Loser as an entertaining show, I wasn't really expecting this book to be any good and bought it off the back of the reviews. I definitely was not hoping for shoddy 'Dr' Gillian McKeith style science.

Published on 20 Dec. 2011 by Mum of Two

2.0 out of 5 stars A bit heavy-going and not for veggies...
The negatives:

- The Kindle version does not replicate some of the tables very well and the text tends to get "trimmed" slightly on the left hand side. Tables and charts also needed enlarging.
Published on 20 Jan. 2012 by Sarah Fisher

5.0 out of 5 stars Was expecting more celeb pap, got a book of genuinely useful information instead!, 20 Dec. 2011
This review is from: Master Your Metabolism: The 3 Diet Secrets to Naturally Balancing Your Hormones for a Hot and Healthy Body! (Hardcover)

HOwever I was really pleasantly surprised. I had bought it because of recurring issues with reproductive hormones which the doctors seem to be at a loss with, if a contraceptive pill or anti-depressant doesn't change it, they don't seem to know what else to look at. So I am doing some reading.

What I liked about it was that it explained the biological mechanisms behind the advice. Some people might not like that level of detail if they are looking for essentially a diet book, but for me it is essential to know why someone is suggesting something. I am married to a bio-medic and he's very skeptical of this sort of thing. However when I have asked him to look at certain parts of the book he has agreed that the mechanisms she describes are as he understands. As he doesn't work in endocrinology I am not trying to suggest that therefore he is endorsing all the science in it and some of the information about how the hormones interact with each other was new to him but we have both found it really interesting.

Gillian assumes that your main reason for reading is likely to be weight loss and general lack of well-being so concentrates on those hormones which have an effect on the parts of metabolism which may affect weight, but doesn't narrowly stick to those. Instead she explains how a raft of them interdepend, interact and interfere with each other, and then how your actions can tip one or two over the edge and set off a chain reaction which goes way beyond the initial effect.

The recommendations she gives are fairly simple and global, and there are no quick fixes for the short-cut seeker. In essence it is an anti-diet book, in the sense of warning against diet plans which cut out food groups or rely on diet foods. It's essentially wholefoods in the right proportions at the right times. But firstly it is useful to know why you're doing that, and secondly there ARE some specifics which are easy to apply as rules. Such as not eating carbs within an hour or two of going to sleep because the raised insulin needed to deal with them can interfere with a nocturnal pulse of Human Growth Hormone, the biggest shot we get in a day. Or how hormone levels over the course of a day can inform how best to spread your intake of food over the day to get the maximum benefit. Or why you just shouldn't ever (EVER) drink diet drinks. (Really).

There is so much general "clear the crap out, eat right, sleep more and exercise more" advice out there but sometimes it's hard to know why exactly you should be doing it and whether it will really make a difference. This book gave me good logical reasons to follow a certain path, and amazingly gave my scientifically skeptical, chocaholic husband enough evidence convince him to volunteer to join me.

5.0 out of 5 stars A life changer, 20 Oct. 2013
I bought this book 3 years ago when I couldn't fit into a uniform and bought some scales to see the real damage. I had peaked at 15 stone 10 having been 10 st 6 at 21: not a good position to be in having given up cigarettes about 5 times. I read this book in a weekend and implemented the key tenants immediately and started her work out plan. I lost a stone in the first month and more steadily over the next 3 years. I have lost 3 stone of fat and put on a stone of muscle since. This a book that essentially teaches us when and why to eat certain foods. E.g pasta at lunch time not at night, why diet drinks are just as bad as full fat ones and why 8 hours of sleep is essential and caffeine isn't and why sleep and exercise play such an important part in our lifes. In essence, this book reshaped my life - It is not a diet book, it is so much more than that

4.0 out of 5 stars Hormones explained, 7 Jun. 2009
E. Watson (Hertfordshire, UK) - See all my reviews
Jillian Michaels explains hormones and metabolism in terms that are easy for anyone to understand. Being her, she takes an extreme view of how we should all be protecting ourselves from environmental issues.

The book is well written in everyday (American) language and for the first time in over 30 years I understand the condition I have suffered from since the birth of my first child. This is not an easy option diet book, its about being the healthiest you can be. Great for those looking for information not for those wanting a quick fix. Well after all it is America's toughest trainer, what would you expect?

2.0 out of 5 stars A bit heavy-going and not for veggies..., 20 Jan. 2012
Sarah Fisher (London, UK) - See all my reviews
The negatives:

- The book is entirely US-centric, so lists of foods, website resources, suppliers, shops etc will mean little or nothing to the UK reader. This renders the very helpful shopping lists/names of organic brands of foods (and subsequently some of the recipes) all but useless in the UK.
- Following on from this, the discussions about visiting your endocrinologist, health insurance payments/plans are largely irrelevant to those in the UK, particularly if you are not under regular medical supervision.
- The vast amount of information about various perceived toxic threats in our systems could come across as scaremongering, particularly when there is not always complete evidence to support claims.
- The menu plan, while varied for omnivores is all but useless for vegetarians as there are only very few meals/recipes without meat or fish.

The UK reader also has to take into account that regulations about the amount of XYZ chemicals in food production/materials differ in the UK and it would take a vast amount of additional research to find the relevant information.

The positives:

- The book is written in a fantastic chatty style which communicates a lot of complicated information very simply and clearly.
- There is a list of references provided, which the sceptic in me appreciated, although it would be difficult to trawl through the lot of material to fact-check.
- Ignoring the information about environmental toxins etc, the general message of the book: clean eating (no processed foods); regular exercise; time for rest, relaxation and sleep is a good one.
- The plan itself, despite the overwhelming nature of the information provided, is actually very simple and easy to take on board.

As a book on general nutrition this is a great resource but with so much of its content being inapplicable to me in the UK and as a non meat-eater, it couldn't be as complete a tool as I would have liked. I'll probably keep it to refer to, but will be looking for something similar but perhaps written from a UK perspective.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good book., 17 Aug. 2013
Thought this book would be very Americanised and products would be different. But it was very informative. And have applied many of jillians ideas to my life and I have felt a lot better.

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible formatting!, 13 Jan. 2014
This is a great book but the Kindle version is terrible. The formatting is so bad that often you can't see half of the page! I'm really unimpressed with the quality of the Kindle version, especially considering it cost me money and I'm unable to read all of it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Jillian gets through, 4 Jan. 2010
Adding to the previous reviews, Jillian has got to the heart of my life long problems PMS and an under active thyroid. She brought home to me that we put an unreasonable amount of chemicals into our bodies with out realising. It went deap and I have already changed my habits with no real effort.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Book to Live Your Life By, 21 Nov. 2009
A quality book from the well respected Jillian Michaels. Detailed medical research facts throughout the book but relayed in Jillian's no nonsense approach.

I've read countless books on this subject and found Jillian's style incredibly easy to follow. The book is basically telling you to cut out processed, chemical laden foods and drinks. Also expelling the myths behind diet sodas and so called healthy foods.

If you are looking to lead a healthy life, then this book is a definite must.

5.0 out of 5 stars i didnt want to buy this book, and i had no liking of its authour either BUT!!!, 14 Sept. 2009
margesimpson "wifi" (sussex) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I happened to see this book when i typed in biggest loser wii, looking for something to get me motivated on yet another fitness kick, now i love the show and all that but this woman just wound me up, slaping gillian would have been a good option if she was shouting at me like she does!. The thing that made me look again was the reveiw above. this is not about a diet to loose weight its how to get your body ready to loose weight, now im a nurse by trade and this book taught me alot of stuff i didnt know, ive been suffering from fluctuating hormones and thyroid problems for most of my life .also im under the hospital with an endocrinologist and all that hasnt helped me . this book has i feel better after 2 days and ill update this post as i go.gillian has just discovered that she didnt know half of this stuff and has just been diagnosed hypothyroid most of which was self inflicted by her crappy diet(yes even the supposedly knowledgable amongst us do not always practise what they preach). I now understand myself better and i have a newfound respect for this lady and her story, i thought the book would be one of those american be all you can be huggy books its not its all medical facts ,some you will use some will shock you.and she admits she used to be 50lbs heavier with bad skin just like the rest of us mortals.(id love to see the photos-- evil laugh) well done that girl and ive preordered the next book. thanks im converted im a fan LOL

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth A Read, 17 Dec. 2010
The book has a lot of interesting and useful information and is worth reading. Have seen some improvements within a few weeks by trying a few changes advised.