on 27 October 1998
I had read and listened to Stephen Covey's ideas in a work context - and they worked! especially the empathic listening skills. But in the family - they are dynamite. These ideas are simple, easy to use principles that work The book is packed with stories from people better and worse off than you. The emotional bank account, win win agreements with the children, one on one time with your partner.... every one a winner. My friends are listening to the ideas too - they are a little bit infectious. I wish I could buy it for every parent in the country. Thanks for a bible for parents (and others)
on 25 November 2002
Covey encourages every parent to do some soul searching to become aware as to what really is priority in life. Then, he suggests we put "first things first." I believe that most parents would admit that they do wish to have "FAMILY" comes first--above all else. But, in today's busy, often stressful daily routine of life, accomplishing that goal is often "easier said than done". Covey clearly points out the essentials...such as establishing effective communication lines through family meetings and one-on-one talks with the kids. He makes so much sense as he describes with personal anecdotes how love, values, morality, and empathy for others is a process of teaching and learning from "the inside out"...in other words from within the family rippling out to society at large. He talks about establishing a family mission statement and helps to direct moms and dads to find the courage and the skills to make changes for the better. Covey's book creates the mindset and the outline.
If you have young kids like me, I recommend a perfect complement 'how-to book' with Covey's ... called "The Pocket Parent." This little book is loaded with compassion and humor along with quick read insights and skills that are completely in line with Covey's principles. It specifically offers the exact words that parents can use in each situation to communicate more effectively with their kids. The book trouble-shoots most of the problem behaviors my husband and I deal with daily-such as Angry outbursts, Bedtime, Mealtime and Clean-up refusals, Tantrums, Disrespectful attitude, the "Gimmes", Morning "Crazies," Whining, Sibling fights and many more, while maintaining the dignity of both parent and child. These 2 books (one more theoretical and spiritual, the other more "hands on" and practical) have changed our lives. It's a big commitment and requires work to change...however, it's worth it! We now are enjoying more peace and cooperation in our family---and that gives us more time to enjoy each other as well as the confidence we need as parents to effectively handle (at least most of the time) the challenging moments that will continue to pop up. If you have young children, consider both books!
Also recommended: THE POCKET PARENT: for parents of 2's, 3's, 4's, & 5's
on 13 April 2011
About the Book: I loved "the 7 habits of highly effective people" 10 years ago, I now have 2 kids and i haven't had the time to finish the book yet but until now it has been good reading with good advice for our family and kids. As having kids is one of the biggest and most important project in life, you don't want to screw it up and it always good to get inspired by best practice.
on 28 November 2015
This book was actually purchased by mistake but what a happy mistake it was! I wanted to purchase the author's classic and well-known book "The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People" but instead got this and it was an excellent book, which quite literally everyone should read.
on 30 April 2010
I've found this helps me to think about what's happening in our family, even if we don't adopt all his suggestions.
on 8 June 1999
This book is an excellent guide for any family (the audio cassette version is also particularly good - as Dr Covey is a charismatic speaker of practical wisdom). It's guidance is particularly relevant in today's society - when the family often takes second place to careers and other compelling "calls" on our time.
on 27 February 2016
Stephen Covey is a must read for anyone who really wants to get to the bottom of what it is, to be really effective in a family, as a family. read it over and over and let it sink in and become part of your subconscious - it's all good.
on 9 June 2014
a practical guide for families to improve relationships. Helpful even if the other members of the family are not interested in taking part. I would definitely recommend this.
on 3 September 2015
All the things a person needs to know if they want to help their family to be cohesive, happy and effective. Stephen Covey has real insight and expresses it so well.
on 19 July 2013
The CD was brilliantand I listened to it every day on the way to work. Now have to get my partner to do so as well. Lots of brilliant ideas!