5.0 out of 5 stars Very thorough, 26 Jun 2013
This review is from: Martha's American Food: A Celebration of Our Nation's Most Treasured Dishes, from Coast to Coast (Hardcover)
The first caveat I must give this review is that I did not pay full price for this item. I had a 10 credit on my Amazon account to use and so only paid about 9 for this book. That said, if you have the money to spend, the 20 price tag is still worth it in my opinion.

American food is having a huge moment here in the UK right now with the ascension of the burger and hot dog culture sweeping the London food scene. That said, with most of my experience limited to the Northeast coast, I was interested in learning more about regional cuisine of the country. While definitely a recipe book, Martha's instruction is still so thorough.

At over 400 pages, there are hundred of recipes, each divided by region. The book actually starts with an 'All-american' intro which is also great to access some classics immediately. Each recipe then has a column blurb from Martha explaining a history of the dish.

Of course, being by an American author without much of a British audience, the book has not been converted into British metrics. It bothers me little, having a set of measuring cups gets you 75% of the way there. Ingredients are also not complicated, meaning that most of them could be bought easily over here.

I honestly cannot fault this book. It's comprehensive, with almost one photo per recipe, and great quality throughout. I can also recommend 'A Taste of America' for a cheaper alternative although I would say this has more readable quality, the former being more instructional.

5.0 out of 5 stars good buy, 14 July 2012
Muzsik Zoltan "andrea" (The Netherlands) - See all my reviews
I am not American, so I bought this book only because of curiosity. After I read it, it turned out to be the best cook book what I read so far. The meals are well described, the recipes are easy to undertand. I can buy all the ingredients, even abroad. The pictures are beautiful and the foods are really delicious. I use this cookbook every week.

5.0 out of 5 stars great book, 18 Jun 2012
Great book full of lots of great recipes also has lots of lovely pictures .I have yet to buy a Martha Stewart book i did not like

5.0 out of 5 stars A welcome Back, 7 Sep 2012
Martha ia a house hold name now not only in the usa but the world over.Her work has left her signature for ever in the hearts of those who love to cook and look after their homes.Delightful recipes from the past and present and produced with ease and somtimes lovely twists.A welcome back edition with so much more.Some that we knew but better and others that are a wonderful surprise and tasty as ever.Martha is a house hold name we love.

5.0 out of 5 stars American Food, 28 July 2012
Living in Belgium, but loving America, I was searching for a basic cookbook with all the traditionale recipies that I ate on vacations through the US.
This book is the perfect answer!!! It contains lots of recipies of the most traditional dishes.
All the recipies are sorted by region. And each region contains recipies of drinks, dishes, sidedishes and desserts.

It is also a lovely book to read: it's nice, the pictures are beautiful and you just wanna get started in the kitchen.

An absolute must for the classic American recipies.

5.0 out of 5 stars I have been waiting for this forever..., 15 Sep 2012
Charles Tryon (BATH, AVON United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
...and it is quite brilliant. If anyone is going to write a book covering American food it has to be Martha Stewart. She is an instituion. This book covers all the main culinary states of the USA and the signature dishes of those areas. All the recipes I have tried work perfectly, the measures are in US cups and sticks, but that is not a problem as the joy of the internet makes translating easy. The photography is lavish, you can almost smell and taste the food. If you like US food, and want some really good recipes this is the one to go for.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 21 July 2014
Amazing book! full of recipes, really worth it!