5.0 out of 5 stars Nigella at her Best!
Published on 17 Oct 2010 by Ms. C. G. Lisle

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit of a rehash
OK, let's start with what I love about this book: It's beautifully written, it has amazing photos of the food, it's presented immaculately and the recipes cater for most tastes.
Published on 6 Sep 2010 by whipmeupsomecream

5.0 out of 5 stars Nigella at her Best!, 17 Oct 2010
Ms. C. G. Lisle "C Lisle" (Guildford) - See all my reviews
This really is a wonderful book - an autobiography through cooking! Nigella starts with outlining her own kitchen ethos and also includes an excellent summary of all her necessary kitchen gadgets and the ones that didn't live up to her expectations. She certainly seems to have relaxed in her views of 'must have' tools and ingredients, often suggesting easier alternatives of items you are more likely to have to hand. I really enjoy the introductions she gives to each section and recipe, it's hard not to feel inspired to cook (and enjoy it) when her enthusiasm radiates from each recipe!
Each recipe (and there is an awful lot of them!) is well laid out and described and there are a wonderful range of complex and very simple recipes (marmite pasta) for easy cooking as well as some excellent ideas for easy midweek entertaining.
I think what really marks Nigella's books overall as different from other cooking books, is that she is a self proclaimed cook, not a chef and she positively encourages her readers to enjoy and experiment in the kitchen. This is a great book and excellent value for money!

5.0 out of 5 stars Nicest Nigella yet, 2 Sep 2010
emma who reads a lot (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
It's a lovely treat to find a warmer, more relaxed and low-key, funnier Nigella on show in this new book than ever before. She invites us into her home kitchen for more typically everyday cooking than the six previous books (Christmas in particular saw her becoming almost a cartoon character version of her own finger-lickin' self), and the tone of this book is intimate and friendly, whilst retaining her knack for a turn of phrase.

'Kitchen' begins with an essay in praise of cooking that is enjoyable and thought-provoking: for example, why does restaurant cooking aim for sameness, when most of us could pick out our own mum's Bolognese in a blind tasting? There's also an intriguing exploration of kitchen equipment plus a totally hilarious discussion of the dozen most useless gadgets she's ever bought.

In the end, though, the book is about the recipes: we'll be cooking them over the next few months, finding our favourites, but in the meantime, here's a flavour of what you'll get:

PART ONE
Recipes to suit children, including a dozen crowd-pleasing frittata, pizza, chicken and mince dishes. A dozen quick suppers, fairly sophisticated mostly, like mussels, lamb chops, lemon sole, scallops, calamari. Midweek dinner party menus, including couscous, Indian lamb chops, a butternut squash salad that is top priority to try, chicken with chorizo, lemony salmon - lots of simple tempting things.
A section on using up ingredients: wilting apples to make muffins and black bananas for Banoffee Cheescake. There's also a coconut and cherry banana loaf and a chocolate chip bread pudding that make me feel fat just reading them.
A whole batch of new puddings, from chocolate key lime pie tthrough chocolate peanut butter cheesecake to Frangelico tiramisu (ah, we can finally use up the bottle we bought for the Nutella cake in Domestic Goddess).
And storecupboard dishes such as pasta puttanesca, pantry paella, halloumi with beetroot and lime, and chorizo and chickpea stew.

PART TWO
A whole section of chicken recipes, including many different useful leftover recipes to encourage us to cook a bigger bird to start with, in anticipation.
A lot of baking recipes: blueberry muffins, a devil's food cake, a simple coffee sponge, scones, bakewell and treacle slices, the inevitable [this time, red velvet ] cupcakes. Preserves, too.
A section of "weekend" recipes, like roast seafood, jerk chicken with rice and peas, a "date" steak, and its opposite, chicken with 40 cloves of garlic. Five risotto dishes; some recipes using meat on bones, like ham hocks, spare ribs and pork knuckles -as well as a great rib dish; a couple of pages on pasties.
Finally, a chapter on snacks, with home-made pork scratchings, sausages and coconut crab cakes; and one on Sunday night dishes, such as Toad in the Hole, meatloaf and her very own version of Heinz tomato soup.

It's a testament to how much we've learned to trust her that I'm looking forward to trying peanut butter humous, pasta with Marmite and Guiness gingerbread, rather than just being scared. And the book as a whole is really charming, modest and whimsical: the nicest Nigella book yet.

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit of a rehash, 6 Sep 2010
whipmeupsomecream (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
The biggest plus point for me is the fact that the recipes seems so well tried and tested. I am a big Nigella fan and have all her books and I can honestly say that I have never, ever been let down by one of her recipes. As with all Nigella's books, the recipes in Kitchen are easy to follow, with accurate quantities, extremely helpful hints and encouraging chit-chat along the way.
Since getting the book last week I decided to try some of the recipes from it: Tarragon chicken, smoked haddock my mother's way, speedy scaloppine with rapid roastini, chocolate chip bread pudding, maple pecan bundt cake and blondies. These all turned out well (even if they didn't look as good as the pictures) and I would cook them again.
The book is 500 pages long and has 190 recipes, accompanied by some really beautiful photos. Nigella's writing style (friendly-chit-chat-by-the-stove) is one of the best things about this book, and I read it through once, before I started cooking from it. This was a hopeful start before I went back through it to earmark the recipes I wanted to try. And this is where I started to feel disappointed (and also where I duck for cover).......
I had a touch of deja vu: the layout, the type of recipes included (comfort, quick, children's, baking, cocktails) and also the type of ingredients used (chilli sauce, pasta, spices, rice, mirin). In fact I would say this book has a predominantly south east Asian and Italian bent. There's nothing wrong with this, other than it all seems very over-familiar and done several times before in her previous books. Yes, on one hand this could be a good thing because you know what you're going to get. But I was hoping for something a bit more "Wow". Dare I say it, but to me, Kitchen seems a little bland. Apart from the six recipes that I tried over the past few days (see above) there weren't many more that I really fancied trying. I went through it a few times, hoping for more inspiration and also hoping to add more post-it notes reminding me of the recipes I want to try. I found a handful at best which was very disappointing.
It's almost like some sort of "Best of Nigella". It's got a bit of all her previous books thrown in and packaged very glossily. For this reason alone I would recommend it to anyone who doesn't already own a Nigella cookbook and wants to try her style of cooking. But for me it is just a rehash. A tired format that I suppose I have just become bored with. I don't think it's her best work and I don't think I will be using it as much as her other books.
I say this very reluctantly, but for me, Kitchen is an uninspiring regurgitation that looks very pretty but is mundanely average.

5.0 out of 5 stars making meaning as well as hot dinners, 18 Nov 2010
EileenB (Liverpool England) - See all my reviews
CSI gloves, goosegogs and buying kitchen appliances you never use. This is no ordinary cookery book. Nigella writes in a way that is at once unique and so very ordinary, page after page. I was on a long train journey and entered the world of Kitchen and lost time till Crewe. You can't say better than that, even the smell of the Virgin train loos passed me by. What a recommendation. You can forget all the hyperbole about Nigella Lawson, she is the Dorothy Rowe of the culinary arts for me. She makes meaning, She lets us see into not just what she cooks and serves day to day but also the meaning and significance it has for her. She is an invaluable teacher of the art of being human and engaging with the material world. I thought this book full of insights as well as a source of useful recipes. It seemed so real, a friend on the page. Who wouldn't mix butter and Marmite and toss a bowl of pasta in it? I could imagine a nice bit of Judge Judy on the telly and a bowl of that on my lap and isn't she honest about drawers? There are two books in one here. One is about important and central messages about us being human and enjoying the very moment of eating, the other is how to do great food day to day. I will praise chicken this weekend and I even found a typo, 'still' rather than 'stir' - but who cares? Please keep on sharing your fascinating take on life and food in this most real way, i'll keep reading you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Nigella, 14 Dec 2010
TKP (Cheshire, UK) - See all my reviews
Another really great Nigella recipe book. I love Nigella, and all her work, including the great stories she writes before the recipes. I have made quite a few from this book already, and they always work out beautifully. I highly recommend it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational, 9 Dec 2010
Nigella's recipes are realistic, often delicious, and easy to follow. Cooking isnt Master chef every day, and nor is it mince meat from a tin. In half an hour or less in a busy day, you can produce a delicious and wholesome meal. Nigella wholesome? Her emphasis is on the pleasures of the senses, which comes to the same thing, in my book. We enjoyed Nigella Express, and Kitchen contains a wide variety of dishes to liven up your repertoire. It has helped to inspire my children to cook, and to give them the important basics, with delicious, varied and interesting results. The recipes are for cooks of any ability and experience, and I am delighted my 17 year old has been working her way through it with gusto. Thank you Nigella, you are doing a great job.

4.0 out of 5 stars My First Nigella Cookbook, 5 Dec 2010
This is the first of Nigella's books I have ever used, or owned. I have had it now for 2 months and so far am really enjoying it. Several of the recipes have aready become firm family favourites for quick, easy and tasty meals, and there are still plenty more I am looking forward to trying. I must say that it is a very 'wordy' book, but I guess that is just Nigella's style...I tend to flick past the chapter and recipe introductions anyway, but easy to see how this book got to 500 pages! Overall, I find this book to have a good range of recipes, something for every occassion, and nothing overly difficult to master.

5.0 out of 5 stars Much awaited New Nigella!, 2 Sep 2010
I'm giving a short review here, so you can have a real wow when you see it live.

Beautiful pictures of the dishes, many step by steps and plenty of Nigella herself too. There is a lot of writing in this book, so even when you are food reading (as opposed to actually cooking) there is plenty here. The recipes themselves are wide and varied, straight forward and easy to follow.

I am a huge fan of Nigella Lawson, and it is with so much anticipation that I've awaited this new book. It has been hailed as the real follow up to How to Eat, and as such for myself and other Nigella devotees there has been an awful lot of expectation attached to Kitchen. So does it match expectation and measure up? I'm really so pleased to say - yes it does! It's a happy feeling knowing there is a HUGE new Nigella book to read and cook from for the forseeable future, and a TV series coming soon too. Very happy bunny.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book - amazing recipes - written by a true foodie!, 21 Jan 2011
Elizabeth Middleton (Sheffield) - See all my reviews
I bought this book following the series on BBC1 in 2010. I had never seen or used a Nigella recipe before and I have to say I think I have been missing out!

The recipes are quick and simple. Easily set out and recipes that will make you hungry and want to cook them all straight away! One thing I love is that each recipe comes with a picture....here's what it should look like and very tempting.

So far I have made the tarragon chicken, the chocolate orange loaf and the salt and nut chocolate bars...this is all within 1 week! The majority of the ingredients will be things you have at home or don't cost much to buy.

The book is lovely to read let alone cook from, I have spent many an evening reading it. The section at the back about party food has made me want to arrange a party! Yummy food and a twist on originals!

What I love most about Nigella is that she is a true foodie! She loves food, loves eating and isn't scared of showing it! My kind of woman and cook!

Buy this book...you won't be disappointed!

4.0 out of 5 stars Ideal general cook book for uncomplicated recipes, 13 Sep 2010
Phoodie Phile (California, USA) - See all my reviews
Bearing in mind that there are 20 other comprehensive reviews of Nigella's latest offering as I write this, I don't intend to write a missive or go over all the contents in detail as this has already been done. I will simply give my own, personal opinion to help others contemplating buying this book another view to add to the others so eloquently put before mine.

The big plus points: I totally agree with the majority of others that Nigella's friendly but well written chit chat and no-nonsense approach, and the preamble before the recipes and the chapters in general is informative and entertaining. Her section on "Kitchen caboodle" is a light hearted, amusing look at the items and equipment that she loves or can live without. This, of course, is very personal and should not have you throwing out your beloved kitchen equipment which you like even if she doesn't (you might detect a note of defence there - I love my slow cookers and disagree with her on that score ;-). Her "Kitchen confidential" section has some great hints and tips, again very well written and made me laugh aloud in places. I also like that she has given suggestions for using leftovers and included "make ahead" and "freeze" notes where applicable. The book has lots of photographs and a montage of the main recipe photos within each section at the start of each chapter to whet your appetite.

Now the slightly more critical points: I too, like a few others, found the recipes a little "tired" - there were very few, if any, that held any "wow" factor making me want to take the next week off work and lock myself in the kitchen! I made the Chocolate Orange Loaf cake at the weekend to which I added an orange and Grand Marnier liqueur buttercream frosting (at my husband's request) and I have to say that without that addition the cake, whilst light and perfectly nice in it's own right, would have been a little bit plain and dull. She perhaps could have included a serving suggestion e.g. nice with a vanilla ice-cream or crème fraīche etc to this and other recipes for those who find knowing how to ring the changes or what to serve the dish with would find helpful. There are several recipes I will probably make at some point but relatively few as a percentage of the number in the book.

My overall view is that this would make a lovely and comprehensive, easy to follow and with a diverse number of recipes from around the world, book for a relatively inexperienced cook, or at least someone who doesn't have a whole host of other, more inspiring library of cook books to browse through. It is the sort of book I would give as a gift to a newly married couple or someone setting up their first home. It has a little of everything to please many people but maybe not enough of the "Wow, I have just got to try that recipe out at the soonest opportunity" type content and hence my 4* rating rather than a 5* (time to duck for cover!)