4.0 out of 5 stars ok comic fantasy
It is a book in the vein of Douglas Adams. A little slow in the beginning but in the end I couldn't put it down
Published on 10 Sep 2009 by mats

2.0 out of 5 stars More Tired Than Funny
Published on 29 April 2010 by A. Ross

4.0 out of 5 stars ok comic fantasy, 10 Sep 2009
mats (Strangnas, Sweden) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Sheriff of Yrnameer (Hardcover)

2.0 out of 5 stars More Tired Than Funny, 29 April 2010
A. Ross (Washington, DC) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Sheriff of Yrnameer (Hardcover)
I picked this up because (A) I'd like to try and read more sci-fi, (B) the cover and title caught my eye, and (C) I'm always on the lookout for good comic fiction, and given the author's work on The Daily Show, I figured this might be a good bet. The story is about a hapless space rogue on the run from his creditors, who gets embroiled in a pretty girl's quest to smuggle something, all of which lands him in a bunch of dicey situations from which he must make daring escapes. If that all sounds very Han Soloish, well, it's probably intentional.

Now, I like a good swashbuckling space opera as much as the next person, but this one just didn't do it for me. In fact, I ended up putting it aside after reading 1/3 of it, something I hardly ever do. The humor is just way too campy (apparently it bears some resemblance to the work of Douglas Adams and Terry Pratchett, two authors many of my friends revere, but I've never read), and not nearly clever enough to appeal to my own sensibilities (which run toward P.G. Wodehouse). The hero is just too much of a caricature of the space rogue popularized by characters like Harry Harrison's Stainless Steel Rat, and is generally more annoying than amusing. The anti-corporate satire is more workmanlike than incisive, and 80-90 pages in, I just found myself too uninterested to continue. I dunno, maybe the whole humorous sc-fi thing just isn't for me.

The Sheriff of Yrnameer
The Sheriff of Yrnameer by Michael Rubens (Hardcover - 4 Aug 2009)
Used & New from: 0.72