on 3 April 2012
After staying up until 1 in the morning to finish book 1 I was eager to dig into book 2. I was at work today and had to go out in my lunch break, but luckily I finished early today so once I got home at 3.30 I got to sit down and get stuck in. By 5.00 I was over halfway through. This one is 50 pages longer than book 1, coming in at 308 pages, but that is still not a lot for me.
I stopped for dinner then picked the book up again and was finished by 7.00. Once again I had powered through it, swept into the pages and taken on a journey with Gregor. The evening seemed to flash past me.
Gregor thought getting his dad home would change everything for the better but his dad is suffering from a strange Underland illness and can barely walk round their tiny apartment, they are struggling to pay the bills and running out of food. It is early December and a light snow has fallen, Gregor takes his baby sister Boots to the park to go sledding, but whilst there she goes missing. Gregor finds a trail leading to the entrance to Underland and knows he must go back down and find his sister. Turns out there is another prophecy once more believed to be about him, he must save the Underlanders once more and fight off the monster that is the 'Bane'.
Being book 2 I feel like I know Gregor better and can understand his quirks and opinions and I continue to like him as a character and he is definitely developing into a promising hero.
This book is just as good, if not better than the first, the Quest seems filled with danger, but Gregor has his companions beside him.
I really liked teh bickering Fireflies they made me laugh, and little Temp - the Cockroach, strange to thing of a roach as sweet, but he really is endearing. Boots is growing up and developing more of a personality, often coming out with something seemingly random but actually helpful. Luxa is still ignoring all the rules and doing her own thing and I liek that about her.
There are new monsters and powers revealed in this book and it's just made me hungry for more.
There were moments in this book that literally had me gasping and gripping the pages. It ends with a bit of a mystery and I can't wait to get stuck into the next one and find out what has happened.
These books would be great for children who loved Harry Potter, Percy Jackson etc and are looking for something different.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 29 September 2011
This series is absolutely riveting. The story runs at an amazing pace. The details of the Underland geography, scenery and creatures are amazing. It has only been a few months since Gregor, his sister and father have returned from the Underland to New York City. Christmas is fast approaching and Gregor is doing what he can to help his family out. His father has a strange illness he brought back from the Underland and has not returned to teaching. His mother is working hard to support his family. His grandmother's health is still ailing. Their kind neighbor Mrs. Cormaci has been hiring Gregor to help her out on Saturdays. He always brings home some money, a lot of food and usually some hand-me-downs for the family. But things are still tight and Gregor cannot stop worrying about what will happen next.

Then it does happen. He has taken his littlest sister Boots to Central Park to go tobogganing and he gets distracted thinking about the Underland for a few minutes. And his sister disappears. There are signs that it was the giant roaches from the Underland. Soon Gregor is back in the Underland reunited with his Bond, the bat Ares, and Luxa the soon-to-be Queen. They go on a perilous journey in the Waterways and through a Labyrinth at the far end of the Rat's domain in search for the Bane, a legendary white rat that is prophesied to be able to destroy the whole of Underland. But unlike the Prophecy of Gray, the Prophecy of Bane does not indicate how many and what species should make the quest, and how many they will lose. The prophecy states:

"If Under fell, if Over leaped,
If life was death, if death life reaped,
Something rises from the gloom
To make the Underland a tomb.
Hear it scratching down below,
Rat of long-forgotten snow,
Evil cloaked in coat of white
Will the warrior drain your light?
What could turn the warrior weak?
What do burning gnawers seek?
Just a barely speaking pup
Who holds the land of Under up.
Die the baby, die his heart,
Die his most essential part.
Die the peace that rules the hour.
Gnawers have their key to power."

It is not as clear as the previous and open to more interpretations. All Gregor knows is what is at stake - his life, his sisters and all of Underland. That is a lot to put on the shoulders of a teen-aged boy, but Gregor manages and even seems to thrive under the pressure. This is a great book in an amazing series.
on 8 April 2012
Gregor and the Prophecy of Bane takes off a couple of months after Gregor the Overlander and we're immediately back into a very exciting story, this time focusing on another prophecy that has been made years ago. If you think things will get less awesome or slow down in the second book, you're wrong. It's just as exciting, fast paced and amazing as the first book in the series.

In this book we get to know Ares better. Ares is a bat, but despite being an animal, he has a very distinct personality, even more than the other bats we've met so far. He is angry, and I'm not sure if I will ever end up liking him, despite what he did for Gregor in the first book. Gregor and Ares have to team up to be able to go on the quest that will help them fulfill the prophecy.

Collins shows once again that she is great at writing fast paced stories with lots of tension and adventure. Her writing has addictive qualities that make me just want to keep reading until I've flipped the very last page, leaving me hungry for more.
on 6 January 2014
I bought this book for my 14yr old son who absolutely loves the Hunger Games Trilogy. I did wonder if it may be too young for him after reading previous reviews but he loved it. So much that I've had to buy him the rest of the books in the series, again, very much enjoyed and he's very picky over the books he reads. He said that he doesn't think the books are particularly aimed at younger readers. The types of books he generally reads are Robert Muchamore, Mark Walden and the Alex Rider series, just so you have an idea of the kind of 'reader' he is. Give them a go. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.
on 4 April 2015
I loved the Hunger Games and was interested to see what other books Suzanne Collins had written. Initially I was put off buying this book as it seemed to be aimed at a much younger audience, however I took a chance and am so pleased that I did! This book was excellent! Beautifully written and I adored the characters of Temp and Boots and the wonderful relationship they shared. This book made me laugh but also kept me up at night as I couldn't wait to find out what happened in the next chapter. I will definitely be reading all the books in this series and can not recommend it enough. Great read for all ages.
on 23 June 2014
Although I am quite old for these books I have fallen in love with them as I did with Harry Potter.
the characters are given with detail and they build up as they grow in age and the messages send are exaactly given in such way for kids to get the message.definately I reading all of them!!!
on 3 July 2015
A brilliant Series of books - even though they are primarily for young adults/ children, I still found them engaging, with a really solid storyline that kept me reading - I genuinely couldn't put these books down! Thoroughly recommend!
on 13 April 2015
I loved it it was exiting sad just amazing I definitely recommend it so with it a try . If you read the hunger games and liked it then read this book
on 16 September 2015
Really good read the whole series,please could anyone tell me if Suzanne Collins is going to write a 6th book?
on 27 April 2014
good for encouraging boys to read that is slightly easier that hunger games very pleased with it for my nephew