4.0 out of 5 stars Really good., 6 April 2012
I've really got into this series and I was eager to get stuck into the next book, but I went to Harry Potter Studio Tours yesterday (more on that in another post) so I didn't get to read anything. But as it's 'Good Friday' I got the day off work so I settled to read this book and I finished it very quickly.
Gregor is called back to the Underland, once more a prophecy dictates his involvement, but this time much more is at risk, a plague has spread and is affecting all warm blooded creatures, and when a member of his family comes down with the dreaded illness, he knows he must solve the prophecy and find a cure.
Gregor is still maturing and finding out what he can do/achieve and it's great to go on that journey with him. Boots is growing up and becoming a great character, cheeky, fun and the occasional helpful thought thrown in there, I love her interaction with Cockroach Temp.
Ripred the rat is still sarcastic and moody but I am really starting to like him.
I was wondering where Collins could go with this world, but it seems like the possibilities are endless with it, and every book seems to get better and better.
This story seemed to have a lot more at risk, a lot of characters have died in previous books and you know that the journey will be dangerous, add in the threat of a deadly disease and the risks are raised, Luxa is still missing in this book, and I did miss her presence but hoped she would turn up again. There are some new characters too, Hamnet is interesting, I wasn't sure for a long time whether he was going to help or hurt them. Frill the lizard also gave me a surprise.
This book seems to really dig deeper into the world and is filled with twists and turns that I didn't expect, and it's just made me want to read the next book even more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome series, 5 Dec. 2011
Steven R. McEvoy "MCWPP" (Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
As each story unfolds, Gregor grows and matures as he faces each new challenge and works through each prophecy. These stories are very well written and to be honest, I am enjoying them more as each book progresses, whereas with the Hunger Games Trilogy, I enjoyed each book a little less. Suzanne Collins has crafted an amazing land under, filled with various creatures, races, alliances, wars and more. The Underland is very different from the city above that Gregor comes from. Above in the Overland, Gregor is almost 12 and goes to school, and worries about money, and food and looking after his family. Each time he finds himself in the Underland he finds that he is the warrior prophesized about long ago who must often not only save the day but learn to make the hard choices along the way.

In each book the stakes seem to get higher; the first was saving his father. The second was protecting his band and finding the Bane. Here in the third novel, if he cannot solve the riddle all Warmbloods in Underland will die, and if the disease gets topside maybe all warm blooded creatures on earth. To make matters more personal, his bat, Bond, was one of the first sick. The prophecy of blood is even written backwards and can only be read using a mirror, but it states:

"Warmblood now a bloodborne death
Will rob your body of its breath,
Mark your skin, and seal your fate.
The Underland becomes a plate.
And so they form a single vine.
Bring the warrior from above
If yet his heart is swayed by love.
Bring the princess or despair,
No crawlers care without her there.
And so they form a single vine.
Those whose blood runs red and hot
Must join to seek the healing spot.
In the cradle find the cure
For that which makes the blood impure.
Gnawer, human, set aside
The hatreds that reside inside.
If the flames of war are fanned,
All Warmbloods lose the Underland.
Remedy and wrong entwine,
And so they form a single vine."

Can Gregor solve the riddle, can he saves those most deer to him? Will he be able to live up to the title of warrior yet again? It is a lot on the shoulders of a boy almost 12. But once again Gregor must step up, and as we journey along with him it is an amazing adventure.

These books are very well written. Though originally published for a Young Adult audience, I have recommended them to numerous people of all ages (11-47) all of whom have enjoyed them greatly. They are great reads. Give them a try.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a Great Read for a 10 Year Old!, 7 Feb. 2012
I stumbled on the Overland Chronicles by pure chance and decided to read it to my 10 year old son each night before bed. He enjoyed it so much that he took up the book and read it within a few days. He was hooked and has enoyed this chronicle just as much. He has never read very much before and it is just oh so refreshing to find such a well written book which has truly captivated my son from the first to the last word. He has now read all the books in this series and wishes there were more. I would really recommend this book for the author has created a fantasy world full of enthralling characters that many children will adore.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!, 4 April 2015
I loved the Hunger Games and was interested to see what other books Suzanne Collins had written. Initially I was put off buying this book as it seemed to be aimed at a much younger audience, however I took a chance and am so pleased that I did! This book was excellent! Beautifully written and I adored the characters of Temp and Boots and the wonderful relationship they shared. This book made me laugh but also kept me up at night as I couldn't wait to find out what happened in the next chapter. I will definitely be reading all the books in this series and can not recommend it enough. Great read for all ages.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 1 July 2014
A. Xylouri - See all my reviews
one more great book!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Suzanne Collins is my latest MUST READ AUTHOR, 17 Jun. 2014
I just lived and loved this book and series....great characters who i really cared about and could visualize so easily. Suzanne Collins
has a very special imagination and the gift of translating that for her readers.

4.0 out of 5 stars Avnt read em yet., 20 April 2014
The mother in law loves this series...... 4 books in two weeks. Might hav to try it myself. Lol 👊

5.0 out of 5 stars Best books ever, 1 April 2014
Hi
This book is amazing I read hunger games 1&2 and I loved them (in fact obsessed with them) and I thought why not read some more of her books so I found these in my school library and LOVE them to bits. You are an amazing writer

From
Molly (Katies daughter)

5.0 out of 5 stars Gregor and the Curse of the Warmbloods (Underland Chronicles), 24 Jan. 2010
Amazon Customer (Coin, Malaga, Spain) - See all my reviews
Yet another fabulous book in the Underland Series, my 10 year old son was devastated to finish the series and even wrote to Suzanne Collins to ask her to write more books. We had a hard time finding another series to follow this one. Excellent!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Ripping Adventures., 26 Jun. 2013
Another excellent adventure with Gregor and friends in the under world.Compelling page turner that maintains the level of sympathy and interest of the young/old reader with a fast moving tale told in straitforward style.

Gregor and the Curse of the Warmbloods (Underland Chronicles)
Gregor and the Curse of the Warmbloods (Underland Chronicles) by Suzanne Collins (Audio CD - 13 Dec. 2005)