5.0 out of 5 stars The best children's book ever., 20 Jan 2003
This review is from: Richard Scarry's Busy, Busy World (Hardcover)
I enjoyed this book so much as a child that i tracked it down second hand for my two year old son. He absolutely loves it. There are thirty brief stories from different countries around the world, he doesn't understand them all but the pictures are so wonderful and detailed and contain so many pictorial jokes and sub plots that he is happy to just drink in the atmosphere. I'm really enjoying it again, this is where I learned most of my geography...

5.0 out of 5 stars Great introduction to worldwide cultures., 9 April 2009
I have had this book since being very small, and still find it as brilliant as I used to. The illustrations are detailed and colourful, all accurately resembling the country they are showing. The stories are simple, and entertaining. The wonderful, lighthearted nature of this book will ensure that young children are aware of the many diverse cultures around the world, and will avoid xenophobic tendencies - Richard Scarry deserves great recognition for his fun, yet educational contributions to the world of literacy, and his work lives on to this day.

5.0 out of 5 stars TheBest Way for Young Children to Learn About The World, 25 Aug 2013
This book brings back fantastic childhood memories. It gave me a love for learning all about the world at the age of seven, and led me to learn more and more about the countries of the world.
It will enable your children to learn about the world with the help of all the wonderful animal characters, and all the wonderful stories.
They will travel in heir minds from New York to the Netherlands, India to
Israel and London to Tokyo and Australia to Austria.
It shows your children the folksy and peaceful side of these lands, and will install a wonderful healthy respect for other nations, as well as their own.

I strongly suggest the publishers get it back into print , and soon.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun bedtime stories with easy illustrations, 12 April 2011
This review is from: Richard Scarry's Busy, Busy World (Hardcover)
Seller described as only OK condition but I thought very good indeed for the price. Back of book not damaged no pages torn or marked. I got a bargain. Thanks! Many others trying to sell this for very high prices indeed- watch out.

5.0 out of 5 stars the best childrens book ever written, 18 July 2010
This review is from: Richard Scarry's Busy, Busy World (Hardcover)
I grew up with this as a favourite, and it is now the firm favourite of my 3 and 4 year olds. Get a copy if you can. Its a shame its note more widely available.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thanks Richard Scarry, 16 Sep 2012
This review is from: Richard Scarry's Busy, Busy World (Hardcover)
I remember reading Busy Busy World to my kids nearly 40 years ago. They were enchanted by its magic (so was I). And so when I found it recently in a charity shop I bought it. Perhaps I am now more aware of the sexism and blatant stereotypes found therein, but you are carried along by its humour and, yes, decency. My new kids also love it, and never ever tire of hearing of the adventures of Nurse Matilda and Smokey. Why is it not available to the present generation? What a treat they are missing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Politically incorrect, but delightful, 19 May 2011
Out of print because irremediably politically incorrect, this classic remains at the top of the bedtime-request roster. Almost all the protagonists are male, while the female characters are shrewish and henpeck their husbands, or ditzy, but my daughter loves it. The caricatures are wildly funny (Couscous the Algerian detective disguised as Fatima, the Burka-wearing exotic dancer), and the national stereotypes are so over-the-top it's hard to be offended. Scarry puts in little homages (look for Eloise's Relais Bisson in Paris) and asides for the parents (Albert Leventhal, the Irish king). No child should be denied this.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fun and exciting way to learn about the world, 6 Feb 2014
I had this book for my own children and we all loved it. Still have our original copy but it is very well used. Wanted another one to pass on. This one, although well used, is in better condition than our own !
Stereotyped, sexist, politically incorrect these days, but one reads the book with children together anyway and explains so much, may just as well fit some subtle corrections in, too, where appropriate, all the more learning. Kids are clever.
But so much fun and a great way to expand a child's horizon and thinking.
Somebody should reprint it - as it is and was, it should live on .

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Richard Scarry book ever., 20 Nov 2013
We went to Paris then re-read the Paris section. My son absolutely loved the fact that the Eiffel tower was in the story. I grew up with this; very hard to find now and this second hand copy we had was dog-eared and worn. But we still read it most nights.

5.0 out of 5 stars Childhood Revisited, 3 Dec 2010
C. Griffith - See all my reviews
I remember reading this book when I was a child. It was my first real lesson in geography and I spent hours looking at the pictures and reading the stories. I think it's out of print now but was delighted to find it on Amazon and buy it for my three boys. They love it too.

Richard Scarry's Busy, Busy World
Richard Scarry's Busy, Busy World by Richard Scarry (Hardcover - 24 Jun 1993)
Used & New from: £57.98