5.0 out of 5 stars Agony is the price that you pay in the end
Published on 20 Mar. 2013 by Ian Devlin

3.0 out of 5 stars ...and the whole bit.
Well, one of the things that you will clearly notice on this book is that Rex considers himself as god's gift to heavy metal music and that he could easely bury Mozart or Beethoven in what concerns music wise.
Published 22 months ago by Gex

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Agony is the price that you pay in the end, 20 Mar. 2013
Ian Devlin "ilikerock" (Glasgow UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Official Truth, 101 Proof: The Inside Story of Pantera (Hardcover)
Since December 8th 2004, when I actually broke down in tears at my work because I'd learned that Dimebag Darrell had been murdered on-stage, I've been waiting for someone from the band to say something other than 'he said, she said.. ' Bassist Rex has finally written an unputdownable volume which is essential for anyone even remotely interested in PanterA's music and legend. As for me, I'd have preordered this in 2004 despite having to wait a further 9 years to get to read it.

Rex covers everything from his early days at home, taking up the bass, hanging around with Vinnie and his scrawny little brother Darrell, finding Phil and helping make PanterA the unstoppable, heavy beast it once was. There's stuff in here I've always wanted to know about how PanterA came to be, how the band functioned, and why, laterally, the monster somehow was allowed to implode and how the individuals involved dealt with it.

One criticism I would make is that Rex tends to speak pretty negatively about Vinnie Paul a lot. He certainly doesn't sugar coat a single word of the book. Some of his accounts of Phil Anselmo's doped-up behaviour will shock you for sure, as will his own accounts of rehab, alcohol dependency, anxiety medication, denial and despair.

I got goosebumps when he talked about Darrell Abbott as a teenage kid, barely able to play even barre chords, then someone giving him Ozzy's Blizzard of Ozz record. He apparently locked himself in his room for an entire summer, playing, learning, and when he finally emerged he was - in Rex's words - a virtuoso. If you love Dime and miss him, this book is definitely for you. Expect to shed a couple tears before you get to the end.

Lots of funny moments too, as you'd probably expect from anything to do with PanterA. The chapter on when Rex was attempting to teach Vinnie Paul to ski will stay with you for life.

I truly, truly miss PanterA. Imagine if a reunion had been possible and had, in fact, taken place?! We can only dream about how the comeback album would have sounded.

Highly recommend this book to anyone, especially die-hard PanterA heads like myself.

3.0 out of 5 stars ...and the whole bit., 16 Aug. 2013
He certainly does not like Vinnie Paul. As a matter of fact, although he, sooner or later, calls his band mates "brothers", I don't think he liked any of them. Actually, I don't think he likes anyone, apart from, maybe his parents, sister, wife and children.
There are some interesting details, although the book is not too detailed. Don't expect many touring stories or details about recording the records.
The book is written in a very unprofessional way. At many times it goes back and forth, gets confusing and the writing is just too basic(he uses and abuses the expression "the whole bit" for example...). Also, many comments from other people do not bring any richness to text whatsoever (his sister's comments for example..).
As someone wrote the highlight is the part when he describes Vinnie skiing. Priceless. He also talks a lot about Metallica.
It's a basically nice book to read if you're a Pantera/Rex Brown hard-core fan. I like Pantera's music but I got bored a few times when reading it...

4.0 out of 5 stars Official Truth, non official review, 21 July 2013
When I first heard that this book was in the pipeline, I couldn't wait to read it. Pantera were, for me "That Band". I was lucky enough to see them live on a few occasions, I bought their albums on the days they came out, and I always hoped that one day they would sort out their differences and remind us all how it is really done. However since the death of guitarist Dimebag Darrell in 2004, that dream has been over! Of course we now have Hell Yeah, Kill Devil Hill and the awesome Down, but we'll never again get the Metal Magic that was the classic Pantera lineup. Anyway back to business, chances are if you're looking to buy this book, you're already a Pantera fan, and know some of the story. What this book does, is fill in the blanks and gives an insider perspective of the phenomena as it happened and as it fell apart. Rex was always the quiet one, rarely gave interviews and never went for the headlines. That's not to say that he was an angel, he admits that himself in the book. Starting off with his childhood, moving on to his formative years and of course Pantera from beginning to end, as well as his time with Down, including the drink, the drugs, the good times, bad times and butt ugly truths!. He pulls no punches, is down to the bone honest and articulate. I would highly recommend this book to any Pantera fan, and to anybody who is just getting into heavy music. Even the hardiest of fans will learn something.

2.0 out of 5 stars A yawn fest despite being the bassist in arguably the best metal band ever! How??, 12 Nov. 2014
Dear God. What a big headed dullard Rex turns out to be. I always thought of him as the (comparatively) quiet one in Pantera - still waters run deep & all that. But no, he's a big headed egomaniac. Some interesting insights into VP that I found surprising but little else added to story of this incredible band.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Phil's book is so much better than this........

5.0 out of 5 stars When the quiet one speaks...., 9 April 2013
..he speaks the loudest.Rex certainly does not mince his words here and gives us this amazing insight on what this beast that Pantera was..A band that affected many..certainly me throughout my teens.
This is not a book about excesses and who ran the biggest tabs etc..it is more about Rex's relationship,how the band worked and insight on what went behind the scenes..
I finished it in two sittings and loved it thoroughly.
Glad to see him doing his thing from Power Metal to his new band Kill Hill Devil..
Wish him the best..I would have loved for him to stay with DOWN but like he says..he and Phil needed to get away from the shadow of pantera and find their own musical journey which rounds this book up quite well..

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the brutal truth, 1 April 2013
M. A. Davies (Bridgend) - See all my reviews
This is one honest account about what went down in the world of Pantera and Rex Brown. No fluffed up feeling sorry for yourself rockstat b/s. Rex gives his account and also let's others around him have their say to show both sides of the story. Brutally honest and hard to read at some points if like me you had a great love for Pantera.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding, 21 Mar. 2013
This book is long over due and it did not disappoint in any way! I have been a huge Pantera fan for years and have always wondered about Rex' relationship with the rest of the band given he is the one who looks like he would lift out the most easily, being the quieter behind the scenes sort of dude that he is. This book answers so many questions that, for me, have been lost in translation through rock n roll media propaganda! I laughed, I cried and it's got me listening to Pantera 24/7 all over again - also got me into Rex' new band who are amazing - read it in two days.

If you are a Pantera fan you need this book in your life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn`t put it down, 31 Mar. 2013
This is a must have book for any Pantera fan . Rex was known as the quiet one in Pantera but this book shows how involved he actually was , he was not "just a Bass player" in that band . This book is not here to "Drag the waters" of ill feeling but it is here to set the record straight , and it does that nicely . It is a nice addition to any persons book collection especially if you are a Metal Head . Books like this made me realise I was part of a movement that was like a tidal wave , and Pantera were at the head of this wave . Read this book and fill in the blanks that you about this man and the band .

5.0 out of 5 stars great book, 8 May 2014
Very enjoyable read. I'm a huge pantera fan and one regret I have is never seeing them live (although I have seen the survive members live with down and hell yeah, so as good as it's going to get) I thought the book was an honest account and an interesting insight into the band. Maybe went over board on the criticism of vinne but who's to say that wether it's fair or not. Definite must read for any pantera fan. And I can't wait for phils book now. To conclude Phillip H Anselmo is god \m/

5.0 out of 5 stars The truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth!, 29 May 2013
Having been in a privileged position of knowing all of Pantera since the early '90's and touring with them on the US Ozzfest in 2000 I thought I knew EVERYTHING there was to know about the band!
How wrong I was!
This book is an extraordinary insight into the band that every Pantera fan should read.
Brutally honest, insightful and a real page turner at its best!
Highly recommended.
Thank you Rex for at last putting to paper what we all wanted to know!!!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Official Truth, 101 Proof: The Inside Story of Pantera
Official Truth, 101 Proof: The Inside Story of Pantera by Rex Brown (Hardcover - 28 Mar. 2013)