4.0 out of 5 stars Thought provoking
Published 16 months ago by S. D. Spicer

3.0 out of 5 stars Frankie goes to Hollywood (and a few other places...)
I've met a few folk who went to l'Abri in the Vaudois Alps, founded by Francis and Edith Schaeffer. As a result, I was surprised to see the rather different writings of Frank, formerly Franky, Schaeffer (hereinafter "Jr.") in places such as "The Huffington Post". This caused me to buy the book. The subtitle also attracted my attention.

First of all, for fans of...
Published on 5 Aug 2011 by Teemacs

4.0 out of 5 stars Thought provoking, 16 May 2013
S. D. Spicer (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Crazy for God: How I Grew Up as One of the Elect, Helped Found the Religious Right, and Lived to Take All (or Almost All) of It Back (Paperback)
Written as almost a confessional by the son of Francis Schaeffer, this details how he grew and his subsequent disillusionment with the evangelical scene. To an extent he throws the baby out with the bathwater; but this is a personal voyage, not a manifesto so he's entitled to. It's one of those books that I think a lot of evangelicals - especially in the UK where we don't on the whole have the same excesses as the US should take the time out to read. Bold, blunt and honest it lays bare the traps and the thinking that could get us to that situation. My first thought after reading this was that I wanted to give it to several people I know to read, simply because it says things that we don't often want to say and they deserve debate. On reflection I'll recommend it both here and when I'm talking to people. Perhaps unlike the US target audience, the C of E is a little more aware of the irony.

5.0 out of 5 stars Honesty that opens a window, on a soul and an era, 1 Mar 2008
Schaeffer's biography is painfully honest, both about his personal life and his involvement with America's religious right movement in the 70s and 80s. Most of the book concerns his youth, his generous but driven parents, and his own journey as an artist. The political right-wing movement forms a relatively minor portion of his life. Through it all, Schaeffer faces his own failings and delusions unflinchingly -- sometimes it is hilarious. And he opens up to real gratitude for all the people who showed him compassion.

At one point Schaeffer says "Honesty is the only thing that is satisfying about writing". And he proceeds with such disarming honesty as to give a clear window, not only on a soul, but on an era of American history.

--author of Correcting Jesus: 2000 Years of Changing the Story

5.0 out of 5 stars Honest and unputdownable, 6 Sep 2008
I heard Frank Scheaffer speak at the Greenbelt Festival and found him open, honest and witty. I bought the book and have read it in 2 days. I really could not put it down. His honesty about himself, his mistakes, and his life as the child of American Evangelical leaders makes this a book well worth reading. Anyone who wants to understand the American political and religious right should read this warm, compassionate and gripping book. Even as the story of an extraordanary and eccentric upbringing, it is a must read.

3.0 out of 5 stars Frankie goes to Hollywood (and a few other places...), 5 Aug 2011
Teemacs (Switzerland) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

First of all, for fans of the Schaeffers and their work, a health warning is in order. Jr. peppers his book with four-letter words and his personal sexploits, which may put some folk off. Personally, I find his honesty refreshing.

Now the interesting bit; did he REALLY help found the Religious Wrong in America? He thinks so. Indeed, he takes most of the credit for introducing the wedge issue of abortion, which has become such a distorting factor in US politics (he says his father was never so gung-ho about it). Alas (according to Jr.), his (as he saw it) nuanced stand on the issue was taken over by the "under-no-circumstances" pro-lifers (I love that name, never having actually met anyone who is NOT pro-life). Does he deserve this self-administered pat on the back? Who knows? (who cares?)

Anyway, the book is a curious ramble, autobiography and spiritual journey all in one. Along the way, he paints unflattering portraits of the Big Cheese of the Religious Wrong (Robertson, Dobson), and he says that his father was uncomfortable with these political animals disguised as pastors. He realised too late (he says) that he and his father had been used. In the end, he drifted away from the Evangelicals and ended up in the Greek Orthodox church.

Speaking of his father, one of the endearing features of the book is the obvious affection he retains for his parents. They are portrayed not as infallible saints but as fallible people seeking to work out God's will as they saw it, and being prepared to change.

So, a mildly interesting read, but also, one suspects, a bit of an ego trip, tied in with a bit of catharsis.

One unexplained oddity - the photo on the cover is not Dad with Jr, but Dad with one of Jr's sisters. Why?

4.0 out of 5 stars More depth would be good, 9 Nov 2012
I enjoyed this biography but felt that it was a bit light on detail towards the end. Frank spent a great deal of time telling us about his early life, sometimes with more information than was strictly necessary but didn't explain enough about why he left the church. I felt that he rushed the ending and I would have liked to have known more about the consequences of his leaving the 'religious right'. However, an enjoyable and easy read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Honest account of Faith and Life, 12 Feb 2011
Dr. Lars J. S. Knutsen (West Chester, PA) - See all my reviews
If I had to sum up this book in on e word, it is "honesty". The author lives up to his name and gives a frank account of his childhood and adolescent years in what could be seen as a chaotic environment. Through other eyes Frank Schaeffer's childhood could have been seen as idyllic, he lived in a place of serene beauty, had a lot of freedom, he was not pressurized into academic success, and had a wider spiritual family to relate to and learn from while growing up.

At heart this story is an account of how Frank sought and gained his own spiritual identity through overcoming adversity, coming to know his parents' faith, then later encountering in the religious right in the USA, and finding that they had turned evangelical Christianity into something ugly and unattractive to him in his spiritual journey. Frank came through his own experiences to perceive leaders such as Pat Robertson, Jerry Falwell and James Dobson as more focused on their own power and political influence than on a true humble walk with God in gratitude for the many gifts he has given us. His description of his own flaws, his own family life, as well as his parents' lives together gives hope to those of us who face challenges as parents and partners.

It takes great self-confidence to be a rebel, and combined with the honesty in every page of this book, it was for me an enthralling read. My feelings were of God's patience with us, as he gently leads us as we make mistakes and learn for ourselves his true grace and acceptance. We may not have had perfect childhoods or perfect relationships, but God still meets us where we are and seeks the best for his children. Frank has profound talents and found the love of his life in Genie, as well as his niche as a writer, orator and story-teller. He also seems to have found the expression of his own authentic Christian faith, and he has gained the admiration of his readers for producing a brave and important book which I for one found impossible to put down.

4.0 out of 5 stars Crazy for God: Schaeffer, Frank, 4 Nov 2010
Controversial. Starts untidily but picks up and continues well with some excellent autobiography and recollections. Some interesting and valuable commentary on religion and Christianity in the West.

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting account of life growing up in a bubble, 8 Mar 2010
I had never heard of Frank Schaeffer before I heard a podcast interview he gave for the Point of Inquiry show. In it he talked about his part in the rise of the American religious right and how he believed that the Republican party had been completely overwhelmed by religious fundamentalists. I bought the book expecting to hear more about this. The book, however covers more about his upbringing, little anecdotes about his teenage years, his parents various philosophies etc. Not being an American or a Christian, I suppose some of the context was lost on me. I gave the book four stars because, although it was not really what I had expected, it was written in a very honest and engaging style, and gives a different perspective on the religious 'culture wars' that seem to be playing out in the English speaking world today.

5.0 out of 5 stars Totally gripping, 27 Nov 2009
M. Evison - See all my reviews
Just found this a very exciting autobiographical memoir - the subtitle says it all really! It's a great warts and all story of the author's journey and, from a personal point of view, considering that concentration has been difficult for me, since succumbing to M.E.several years ago, it's a remarkable tribute to this write that I managed to read these 400 pages within a week.

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant insightful book, 6 Feb 2009
I have just finished reading this book and found it amazing. I could not put it down. To be honest I'd not even heard of it and just noticed it in my local library and thought it looked interesting. It was fascintaing. His story - being brought up by missionary parents, unwittingly creating some of the nightmare of the current Religious Right, finding a way out and his own path - was written brilliantly. It was also incredibly forgiving and non-judgmental and big-hearted. I am a Christian evangelical (though British and not American) and had wondered whether this was going to be full of vitriol and therefore difficult to read. It totally wasn't. I cannot recommend this highly enough to people who want a fairly objective account (despite his involvement) in the rise of the religious right in America...