5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding single volume history lavishly illustrated
This is an excellent one volume history of the Battle of the Bulge, a book I'd be looking for some time. It provides a comprehensive operational overview, without neglecting detailed tactical breakdowns, and a very sound and secure strategic sweep. It is undoubtedly the best single volume history of the battle in the Ardennes forest that I've yet seen.

The book...
Published on 5 Dec 2010 by Withnail67

3.0 out of 5 stars Battle of the Bulge - All the detial
Having read a few books on general WWII campaigns I wanted to "go deeper" into one particular battle. I had watched "Band of Brothers" and remembered the "Bastogne" chapter so I thought why not the Battle of the Bulge?
I bought this book on the recommendation of other reviewers.
Published on 27 Feb 2011 by Nico

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding single volume history lavishly illustrated, 5 Dec 2010
Withnail67 (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Battle of the Bulge: Hitler's Ardennes Offensive, 1944-1945 (Paperback)

The book is pleasingly large format, and it runs to over 315 pages, with substantial indexes and appendices. Perhaps the finest feature of this excellent book, is the lavish use of photographs which are both well label and specific, and the supporting of the text with excellent maps. The best of these are the maps which break down the disposition of units at divisional level, which allow you to follow the complex movement of units with ease. The narrative covers the fighting in broadly two-day units ranging from the 17th and 18th of December 1944 right through to January 12 to the 28th 1945. Interspersed with these chapters are shorter articles covering a variety of different aspects of the battle such as the massacre at Malmedy, Skorzeny's commando units, and some highly revealing articles on logistics, artillery, and weaponry in general.

Readers from the United Kingdom will be pleased to see that the admittedly small but relevant British contribution to the battle, and the generalship of Montgomery, are given a reasonable airing in this book. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this and it's given me a great deal think abou. I can see myself rereading it in the future and thumbing through the sequences of photographs which on virtually every single page.
If you're looking for a single volume to expand your knowledge of the Ardennes campaign, I would go here first.

NB This review refers to the 1999 edition.

3.0 out of 5 stars Battle of the Bulge - All the detial, 27 Feb 2011
I bought this book on the recommendation of other reviewers.
If you want a very, unit by unit, day by day, event after event analysis then this book will suit you.

I have only given it three stars because I didn't actually enjoy the book very much.
I found the detail at times confusing. Excuse the pun, as far as the Ardennes forest goes, but I couldn't see the wood for the trees.
The maps were particularly detailed and, strangely enough, particularly useless. There are tens of little boxes each marked with an army unit number, a few arrows, an odd town or village and nothing else - There are no roads, no rivers, no contours, no relief nothing. To make any sense of what was going on I had to go online and print a couple of maps from the internet.

I did finish the book. I did learn somethings. But I did not leave with a feeling of what it must have been like to have been there.

Battle of the Bulge: Hitler's Ardennes Offensive, 1944-1945