5.0 out of 5 stars A wolf in sheep's clothing, 27 Feb 2010
E. Morton "elli_jelly" (Hampshire, UK) - See all my reviews
By all means a great book. I'm writing my undergraduate dissertation on satire, so have been buying books like this right, left and centre. Unfortunately, I discovered that another book by the same author, 'That Was Satire That Was', is exactly the same book as this, just with a different title and cover. So now I have two books that are exactly the same, down to the letter. So if you're already got or read TWSTW, don't bother!

4.0 out of 5 stars Exhaustive & Comprehensive, 5 Oct 2012
David Wineberg "David Wineberg" (New York, NY USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
The story is not straightforward, which is a major plus. The players pop in and out of the story as they and things develop. It's actually a coherent subject, which I did not expect. There actually was an "era" of satire in Britain, and though satire itself is a cloudy, amorphous concept, Carpenter has woven together all the ingredients of a comprehensive, if not exhaustive history of the concept. That makes this an unusual book, and kept my interest over its 338 pages.

As expected, I learned a great deal about the lives and personalities of the players in Beyond the Fringe, Private Eye and TW3, the three most famous vehicles for satire in the 60s. But of more value was how hey interconnected, for good as well as bad. And of course, how Carpenter sewed them all together in a quilt they did not know they were part of. A most worthwhile endeavour and achievement by Humphrey Carpenter, whose bio of Spike Milligan I've reviewed as well.

A Great, Silly Grin: The British Satire Boom Of The 1960s
A Great, Silly Grin: The British Satire Boom Of The 1960s by Humphrey Carpenter (Paperback - 29 May 2003)