5.0 out of 5 stars A fascinating look into recent ephemera
Published on 22 April 2010 by D. A. Wright

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your money
Not too impressed with this- all the entries are from the 20th century and are self-explanatory. I am a general reader and can honestly say I didn't learn a thing from this. Very disappointing.

People say that Brewers is the best but for me there is too much emphasis on celebrities and not enough on actual phrasaes for me.
Published on 2 Jan. 2011 by Anon

5.0 out of 5 stars A fascinating look into recent ephemera, 22 April 2010
D. A. Wright (UK) - See all my reviews
I am enjoying this companion immensely, reading a few pages before going to sleep each evening. It combines thoroughness with wit and its selection reminds me of many half-remembered events, sayings, publications, etc. As with other such books of reference, it is difficult to look up one item and stop there - all too often one is drawn into a lengthy ramble through its pages emerging better informed and greatly refreshed.

I bought the 18th edition of the original version at the same time, thanks to a couple of Christmas presents, as my previous one is somewhat dated and both are beautiful to look at and handle. They make a handsome pair and I know they will soon become indispensable.

My only quibble is that the binding is inadequate for such a weighty tome.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your money, 2 Jan. 2011

1.0 out of 5 stars Brewer's Dictionary of Modern Phrase and Fable, 17 May 2011
This just does not compare to the original, non modern version. It is full of shallow, puerile nonsense. Don't waste your money. Get the original. Unless you are not British-born/English fluent. If you are trying to settle here from a quite different culture, then perhaps it might be of some use. Otherwise, it makes a good door stop!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 15 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Brewer's Dictionary of Modern Phrase and Fable: 2nd Edition (Hardcover)
good

Brewer's Dictionary of Modern Phrase and Fable: 2nd Edition
Brewer's Dictionary of Modern Phrase and Fable: 2nd Edition by Ian Crofton (Hardcover - 15 Oct. 2006)
Used & New from: £3.11