on 26 March 2016
Having become the proud owner of this book which arrived in very good condition I can't wait to enter
the next local pub quiz. it is full of the most unusual facts and strange explanations of hundreds of
items. It is a welcome addition on any book case
on 31 May 2009
I read this book constantly. Open it at random and you'll find something you didn't know before. It is full of interesting facts, origins of words, phrases, historical events, names... After another couple of years I'll surely qualify for the Mastermind.
Urpu
on 24 June 2015
This is a clearly printed, neatly spaced dictionary, set out in such a way that you can look up one thing, stray to another, and before you know it, it' sang hour later! Informative, simple to use and, after all, the only one of its kind. Superlative.
on 14 October 2013
well, even if you don't read it, it's a must have for your bookshelf, coffee table, spare room, etc because it's just so full of stuff you don't need to know but will wish you did know (without being important enough to bore people at parties with)
on 4 January 2011
We were given an earlier edition of this book by my mother in law who immediately regretted not keeping it. We were therefore happy to buy her the latest version for Christmas. She is delighted with it as she is a crossword buff!!
on 10 August 2015
Really interesting book, great as a gift for dads, grandads and uncles. Full of weird and wonderful information and the kind of book you can pick up off the shelf for a few mins and then pop back. Great toilet book too!
on 15 March 2015
One of those books that you can open anywhere and become swiftly absorbed something new.
A damned good work of reference too.
Bought extraordinarily cheap from the seller, and in very decent condition.
on 14 December 2015
Bought as a present because I was impressed by a copy I had bought for myself some months ago. A marvellous book! I hope the recipient, my grandson who is reading English at university agrees with me!
on 8 April 2009
Excellent & very comprehensive reference book. Essential for those interested in the meaning & origins of most commonly used (& many less commonly used) phrases & fables. Thoroughly recommended!
on 20 March 2015
I love this book - the sort you can just pick up when you hear a phrase and wonder how it came about. Would make a lovely present for anyone with an interest in the English language.