5.0 out of 5 stars Learn more about us Maltese: read this book
Monserrat's book is probably the smartest insight into the character of the Maltese people penned by a non-Maltese I've ever read. The author has clearly understood the relevance of the Catholic religion and hierarchy; the sea and draught; but also the hardships of history especially in War time, when one tries to figure out what Malta and the Maltese are all...
Published on 14 Dec 1999

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting but over-long and old-fashioned
It's an interesting read and helped my understanding of Malta's history on a recent holiday, but the characters tend to pall after a while. Really it's a very readable history of Malta with a real insight into what it was like to live through the WWII seige with a novel thrown in.
Published 5 months ago by JT

5.0 out of 5 stars Book, 8 Nov 2013
This review is from: The Kappillan of Malta (CASSELL MILITARY PAPERBACKS) (Paperback)
Read my friends copy of The Kappillan of Malta. An Island .I know well, many places I have visited.Thank you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 17 Sep 2013
Good historical and a nice story, going to malta in holiday and gave a good insight to the history of the island

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book I have read in years., 16 Sep 2013
This is in the same league as "The Cruel Sea", which is my favorite book which I read at school. I only came across The Kappilan when I went to Malta on holiday earlier this year, now aged 67! It provokes deep thoughts and has characters which certainly have parallels today. A good read!

5.0 out of 5 stars the kappillan of Malta, 5 Aug 2013
This review is from: The Kappillan of Malta (Hardcover)
i love this book, once again I could not put it down. not sure who I would recommend to as quite heavy really but it was actually recommended to me.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read from an unusual view point, 2 Aug 2013
Amazon Customer (Nottinghamshire, UK) - See all my reviews
I have always regarded Monsarrat's The Cruel Sea as one of the great sea stories of the 20th Century. This is also a great story, told from an unusual view point. I first read it when it first came out in the 1970s. I bought in paperback in the 90s, and when that fell to pieces, I bought a second hand hardback copy. When I found a kindle edition, I couldn't resist it; particularly as I was soon to travel to Malta on holiday.

Monsarrat lived and died on Gozo, the smaller, greener companion Island a couple of miles to the North of Malta. This obviously gave him the opportunity to get inside the heads of the Maltese people, a fact acknowledged by the Maltese themselves.

This book is not just a story set in Malta in WW2, it is the history of the Maltese people from caveman to the mid 20th Century. In virtually every other chapter, the main character tells the story of another significant chapter in Maltese history in a very readable form, covering the shipwreck of St Paul, the arrival of the knights of St John and their battle with the Turks, the arrival of Napoleon and the subsequent ejection of the French by the Maltese people supported by Lord Nelson and his favourite Captain, Captain Ball who became the Islands first British Governor.

All this is bound up in the main story of a high born but lowly Catholic Priest supporting his flock through Malta's battle for survival against the Italian and German blitz. This part of the story covers the horrors of continuous bombing, of near starvation, of the failed and successful convoys, of the ariel battles between uneven odds. It always leaves me with sense of being thoroughly entertained and with an admiration for the Maltese people. It also made me want to visit Malta. Something I have now done 3 times.

4.0 out of 5 stars WONDERFUL STORY, 9 Nov 2012
This is my favourite book ever. It's not easy to read but is well worth the effort, particularly if you know Malta as I do. The book itself was slightly disappointing as it was classified as 'good' but omitted to say the cover was torn and the page edges were rough. I expected a little of this, it being a first edition, but the tears on the fly cover make it an eyesore to display alongside similar books and the photo did not reflect this, nor was it mentioned. However, the book itself is in a readable condition and, on the whole I'm pleased that I bought it. I can't fault the service. Impeccable as always.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good read, a novel and a history text in a great story, 30 Dec 2001
By A Customer
A book I first read over 12 years ago but am keen to re read. Chapters alternate between the island's history and a World War II story of heroic proportions. Every bit as good as the author's more famous "A Cruel Sea".

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Fiction/History especially for Maltese readers, 31 Jan 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: The Kappillan of Malta (Paperback)
A great story especially for people wanting to come to Malta, or people living on the island. I must have read it four or five times. I definitely think it is the best fiction mixed with real history about Malta. Maltese history lessons at school meant nothing to me, but this book ignited my interest in Maltese history.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Kapillan of Malta, 29 Oct 2011
This review is from: The Kappillan of Malta (Paperback)
I bought this to read during our holiday in Malta and enjoyed the way that our trips around the islands informed my reading and the novel informed our visits. The novel is the story of a catholic priest during the Second World War, when Malta suffered more than most places. It is a vehicle for telling the story of Malta from ancient times.

Monserrat lived on Gozo, and the novel has the authority of being steeped in the place.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read., 9 Sep 2014
I read this book many years ago, when first published. This second helping has not changed my view of it, one word, brilliant.

The Kappillan of Malta (CASSELL MILITARY PAPERBACKS)
The Kappillan of Malta (CASSELL MILITARY PAPERBACKS) by Nicholas Monsarrat (Paperback - 8 Mar 2001)