5.0 out of 5 stars Learn more about us Maltese: read this book
Monserrat's book is probably the smartest insight into the character of the Maltese people penned by a non-Maltese I've ever read. The author has clearly understood the relevance of the Catholic religion and hierarchy; the sea and draught; but also the hardships of history especially in War time, when one tries to figure out what Malta and the Maltese are all...
Published on 14 Dec 1999

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting but over-long and old-fashioned
It's an interesting read and helped my understanding of Malta's history on a recent holiday, but the characters tend to pall after a while. Really it's a very readable history of Malta with a real insight into what it was like to live through the WWII seige with a novel thrown in.
Published 8 months ago by JT

‹ Previous | 1 2 37 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Never surrender!, 28 Jun 2010
Mrs. B. M. Jones "maybea" (bracknell, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Kappillan of Malta (Paperback)
An excellent read for our book club. Unanimous aclaim for the story and for the information. We had all been on holiday and visited the catacombes but,until now, did not appreciate the triumph of the Maltese.

4.0 out of 5 stars small print, 30 Jun 2014
This review is from: The Kappillan of Malta (CASSELL MILITARY PAPERBACKS) (Paperback)
Very small print in my version meaning I'll need to invest in a pair of reading glasses. Book itself is excellent and you get a real feel for the atmosphere of the time

5.0 out of 5 stars Born in Malta, 8 Jun 2014
This book gave me a lively insight into Malta and it's history in a well written and interesting way. Brilliant

5.0 out of 5 stars An amazing book - very moving, 29 May 2014
I was recommended to read this book and I initially borrowed it from the library when I discovered that I could not put the book down I went and bought it for my Kindle so that i could finish reading it on vacation. A wonderful book showing Malta durign the war adn the people who lived through those times.

5.0 out of 5 stars My wife and I are both very much enjoying this unusual book, 23 May 2014
The setting for this story has historical interest and a fascinating insight into the story of Malta in the Second World War, holding out against all the odds and playing a vital role in the Mediterranean

4.0 out of 5 stars The Kappillan of Malta, 22 May 2014
A recent trip to Malta made this a must read book, it does not disappoint print in this edition rather small.

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting but over-long and old-fashioned, 10 April 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars A history lesson worth taking with every word carefully written and meaningful., 11 Mar 2014
Brilliant story, superbly written, a wonderful insight into the Maltese world of yesteryear. Having read this work some time ago re-reading it the story is just as fresh and enjoyable as the first time

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read!, 26 Feb 2014
This is an excellent book. The characters wonderful and the descriptions of the bombing of Malta during World War II are heart rending. I particularly like the way the author has woven the history of this remarkable island into his story. I would recommend this book to any keen reader and especially those who are travelling to Malta as I am.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved this book, 13 Feb 2014
I had lived in Malta for 3years when my father was in the Royal Navy -and although a long time ago , I had very clear memories of our time there & it all came flooding back when I read the book.

‹ Previous | 1 2 37 | Next ›

The Kappillan of Malta (CASSELL MILITARY PAPERBACKS)
The Kappillan of Malta (CASSELL MILITARY PAPERBACKS) by Nicholas Monsarrat (Paperback - 8 Mar 2001)