5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best vegetarian cook books I own!
Published on 7 Dec 2001

1.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected
Published 16 months ago by Kate

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best vegetarian cook books I own!, 7 Dec 2001
By A Customer
Being a fairly fussy vegetarian I have accumulated a variety of cook books, and have found "Vegetarian Express" to be one of the best. The book is split into sections which makes it easy to choose a recipe for any time of the day and any type of hunger! At the start of each recipe there is good dialog about the nutritional value and fat contents of each meal. An excellent vegetarian cook book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buying a veggie cook book? Buy this!, 14 Sep 2006
Jane (Lancashire, UK) - See all my reviews
I have a shelf full of veggie recipe books, and a number of Rose Elliot books. This is my favourite, and the one I have used the most.

There are delicious salads (warm butter bean salad with spring onions and maple mustard dressing), yummy mains (Mexican tortillas with peppers and beans) and healthy sweets (blueberry muffins made using rapeseed oil and skimmed or soya milk).

The recipes are simple and delicious and are ideal for those of us who just don't want to spend hours in the kitchen making healthy, tasty vegetarian meals.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another fantastic book from Rose Elliot, 28 Jun 2007
I have Rose Elliot's 2 other books (Veggie meals in minutes and Veggie chic) and so was slightly hesitant about ordering yet another book by the same author, fearing a repetition of recipes. However, I was not disappointed - the recipes are new and original, taste great, are quick and easy to prepare, not to mention the fact that they're bursting with vitamins and antioxidants. I love the fact that Rose Elliot tells you how many calories you're getting out of your portions and the various vitamins that can be found in each meal. The recipes are easy to cook and use readily-available ingredients; but strangely, they are never boring as you'd expect from common ingredients. If you want good food but don't have much time to spare, this will surely motivate you to get into the kitchen and throw away your ready meals.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fab!, 10 Nov 2005
This is the first Rose Elliot book I've had after getting it as a gift, and it won't be the last - The recipes are easy to follow and I've used the book loads - one of my favourites is the pasta with cherry tomato, feta and aubergine, so quick and so lovely! Can't recommend highly enough......

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-buy for cookery-hating vegetarians!, 28 Sep 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Vegetarian Express: fast fresh food for energy and vitality throughout the day (Hardcover)
Rose Elliot is my favourite vegetarian cookery writer as her recipes are always simple to make and use easily-available ingredients. I rushed out to buy this book and I am definitely not disappointed. 'Vegetarian Express' has a wonderful variety of recipes. I am not naturally gifted when it comes to cookery, but even I didn't have any problems following these recipes. The dishes themselves are delicious (especially the soups and puddings). What I like best about this book is that she uses soya milk in her recipes (she states that you can use normal milk) as I am allergic to dairy products. This book is a must-buy for any vegetarian who doesn't want to spend hours cooking.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of Rose Elliot's best, 26 Oct 2005
I'd stopped buying Ms Elliot's books as they tended to repetition of recipes sometimes. However, she has a new angle and new recipes, which have provoked interesting meals. Useful and good value. (And hoorah, no longer outdated advice to salt aubergines before using!)

5.0 out of 5 stars Rose Elliot's Vegetarian Express, 4 Feb 2009
Sandra Thomas (Pembrokeshire) - See all my reviews
What a brilliant book! For a 'new' vegetarian, this is full of really simple, straight forward recipes, using 'normal' ingredients. Most cook books have recipes I would only use for special occasions as they cost a packet and take too long to prepare. I dip into this most weeks. Additionally, the menus are calorie and fat counted, so great if you're trying to watch your weight. Nicely presented, too.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another 'safe' selection of recipes, 3 Oct 2007
Helen (London, UK) - See all my reviews
I have a few recipe books by Rose Elliot (some from years ago, but more recently The Bean Book and Veggie Chic). I like her ideas, although at times they can become predictable. However, this is a good book and has some excellent quick meal ideas. Great for anyone in a hurry who needs to avoid yet another boring sarnie.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great veggie book, 12 Jun 2011
I love this book. Full of quick and simple ideas. Friends who are not vegetarian have loved it as well. Great food, healthy and fun. If you are stumped with the same old same old get it and be surprised at how fun cooking and eating veggie can be.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected, 14 Mar 2013
I have only recently discovered this author and have purchased several of her other books, all excellent, this was bought based on the reviews. I wanted a cookbook, a lot of these 'recipies' you can just put together, like sandwiches. Not a lot of content either, compared with her other books I have. As I purchased it secondhand (now out of print)it is not worth returning. I will continue to purchase this ladys books as they are, in my opinion, about the best vegitarian cookbooks out there, just disapointed in this one.

Vegetarian Express:  fast fresh food for energy and vitality throughout the day
Used & New from: 0.01