5.0 out of 5 stars Something for everyone in this little gem, 10 Jun. 2003
By A Customer
This anthology is, for my money, the best introduction to poetry around at the moment. Having started in the London Underground, it reflects the cosmopolitan makeup of that city. There's something from almost every corner of the world here - the Caribbean, medieval Ireland, several poems in translation... plus excellent (and sometimes very humorous) notes on the poems. There are classics too, such as the famous poem by Auden used in Four Weddings and a Funeral (the original title is simply "Song".)
If you'd like to own a very good, accessible poetry anthology but you're frightened by the size of, say, the Norton anthology, buy this one instead.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Intro To Poetry, 29 April 2009
I. M. Knight (Huddersfield, England) - See all my reviews
This is a great book as an introduction to all the great poets and also serves as a pretty good anthology. There are some classic poems from authors you would expect to see here as well as some lesser known ones. This doesn't just restrict itself to English poets either with contributions from Europe and Australia. I especially enjoyed the more comical poems and ditties along with their illustrations.

5.0 out of 5 stars Totally loving this little book of poems., 30 Nov. 2013
First of all, I've never ever written nor read many poems. I was not fortunate enough to receive a good education throughout my childhood, but I made it to uni eventually. I met someone here who recommended me this book as great way to get into literature. I saw the book and didn't think it was one of those stuck-up books.

Well... I was reading through the pages on the bus, and I started reading Sonnet 29 by billy you-know-who, and something about the sonnet astonished. I wasn't sure what exactly, but it just looked beautiful, I didn't understand it entirely but got the gist of it. Then I went online and I realised that the sonnet had a specific structure that made it so elegant.

I'm starting to learn more about poetry, structures, analyses etc. even though I'm doing a completely irrelevant degree, but hey, anyone can learn whatever they want, right?

5.0 out of 5 stars Poems on the Underground - 10th edition, 1 Feb. 2009
Ms. D. M. Neale "Dizzie Di" (Rochester, Kent) - See all my reviews
Never beaten as an anthology of taster poetry. I've always loved these poems. Love to read them on the tube and in the book. Especially useful for people who think poetry is boring. These pieces most certainly are not. They often amuse and always strike home.

5.0 out of 5 stars Poems on the Underground by Gerard Benson, 13 Jun. 2014
D. J. Lay "deelay" (U.K.) - See all my reviews
I read his Obituary in The Telegraph and remembered reading some of them on the Underground. The book is in excellent condition and is great fun.

5.0 out of 5 stars Yes., 28 Dec. 2014
Bought as a gift, for someone who was thrilled.

Poems on the Underground
Poems on the Underground by Gerard Benson (Hardcover - 12 Nov. 1992)
Used & New from: £0.01