5.0 out of 5 stars A Thoughtful Book on the European Dream, 29 May 2013
William Cohen (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
There are lots of dry tomes on European politics: this one reminds me of of Larry Siedentop's Democracy in Europe because it's well-written and, on occasions, playful. It's a detailed history of where we've got to with the European Union, and also a philosophical musing on what binds us together.

Van Middelaar explains the 'Roman', 'Greek' and 'German' strategies to build a collective identity, but concludes it's a project 'in progress'. We don't seem to have created anything that has the same grandeur of the 'Founding Fathers' but something has evolved over the years which many of us think is worth cherishing.

If you want to understand what the European Union is about and converse knowledgeably about its future, you need to read this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars I have enjoyed all, the books I have purchased from Amazon, 18 July 2014
I have enjoyed all,the books I have purchased from Amazon.All have been informative and enjoyable to read and I would recommend them to anybody.

The Passage to Europe: How a Continent Became a Union
The Passage to Europe: How a Continent Became a Union by Luuk Van Middelaar (Paperback - 3 Jun 2014)
12.99