5.0 out of 5 stars Look before you leap.
This course won't be everyone's cupán tae. It is heavily grammar based and structured to that end. While some may complain that this isn't how people should learn a modern language, the same folk should bear in mind that not everyone learns in the same way.

Published 24 days ago by J. Boyce

2.0 out of 5 stars Díomá an-mhor - very disappointed.....
Amazon's service was up to its usual high standard.

Published 15 months ago by M. Ravey

5.0 out of 5 stars Look before you leap., 1 Oct 2014
This review is from: Learning Irish: Text with DVD (Paperback)

I pottered around with the usual "conversational" courses for years and soon reached what felt like an insurmountable plateau. Immersion in the Gaeltacht didn't much help either due to the purposeful avoidance of grammar. Only after I got an earlier version of this course nearly twenty years ago, did I start advancing once again. It reminds me of how I learned Latin and that's how I learn best.

My negative criticism of the course is author's use of non-standard forms taken from the Conamara Gaeltacht. Indeed, that is the dialect grouping he aims to teach. He doesn't keep this a secret so 'Caveat emptor.' I'd prefer standard forms or Donegal forms, but that would be a different book for a different author.

In summary, this book teaches Conamara Irish with a heavy emphasis on the mastery of grammar. If that's what you want grab it with both hands! If you want something else, buy something else. For me, it is the best Irish course I have ever used - and I have used quite a few for various purposes. The pull-out on pronunciation with accompanying audio alone, IMHO, is worth the price of the book.

4.0 out of 5 stars review, 23 July 2013
This review is from: Learning Irish: Text with DVD (Paperback)
I am happy with the book however the DVD doesnt work and I can only access the content sound through my computer.

2.0 out of 5 stars Díomá an-mhor - very disappointed....., 9 July 2013
M. Ravey "Michael Ravey" (Liverpool, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Learning Irish: Text with DVD (Paperback)
Amazon's service was up to its usual high standard.

However, the 'DVD' advertised was a CD, as I remember. I returned the item the same day. I'd needed the package for a class for learning Gaelic; and wanted a 'multi-media' tool. The text of the book seemed no less dated than the mere CD: it seemed to focus on 'grammar' and 'syntax', whereas it's widely realised that such a narrow academic approach is unnecessarily burdensome to a language learner.

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful, 26 Jan 2014
This review is from: Learning Irish: Text with DVD (Paperback)
This is truly atrocious as a beginners course, if it's your first try at irish this course will have you giving up at the first attempt!!. This course is like a school text book from fifty years ago! It drops the learner straight in at the deep end,describing grammar ,syntax and complex pronunciation. This very technical work is more suited to an intermediate learner with an already developed love of the language , anyone else will never develope a love of this wonderful language. I've read more enthralling phonebooks than this, take my advice and try another beginners course, ANY beginners course but this one!!

Learning Irish: Text with DVD
Learning Irish: Text with DVD by M O'siadhail (Paperback - 28 Sep 2012)