4.0 out of 5 stars highly readable analysis of the malaise affecting the West today
Definitely a book worth reading for a succinct analysis of the malaise experienced by the west, and for the ability to put it in the wider historical context. Simple, straightforward and jargon free it is the ideal introduction to reading about the challenges which we'll have to overcome if we want to continue prospering
Published 18 months ago by l b

3.0 out of 5 stars It's okay
I did expect from S King a slightly more in depth and nuanced approach, especially since his style as a professional economist is very interesting and insightful. Therefore I was slghtly disappointed with shallowness of this book for someone following the current events from economic and political point of view.

This book is probably written for a wider...
Published 14 months ago by jukka

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars Didn't answer the question, 14 Jan 2014
This review is from: When the Money Runs Out: The End of Western Affluence (Hardcover)
You're probably considering buying this book with this question in mind "What happens when the money runs out?" You'll be disappointed. What you'll get is six chapters of economic history which don't get me wrong is interesting, a couple of chapters of economics/politics, a chapter complaining about the mess we're in, half a chapter stating the obvious and half a chapter stating what we already know about what we want doing. The only original thought in the last chapter was the use of nominal GDP targets instead of inflation when forming monetary policy. Given that the FED has moved towards unemployment as a justification for interest rate changes and the BoE is on record saying the interest rates are no longer effective, this is a bit late.
I was expecting to be told of solutions that you'll find in most decent financial newspapers but I really wanted to know what were the obstacles to implementing them and how they might be overcome. A couple of worked scenarios would have been a bonus. But no, I'm on my second coffee thinking I'm getting to the climax and then the next page is the bibliography. It's like bad sex and sadly you can't smoke inside these days to make up for it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Serious read, 16 Nov 2013
Interesting take on the financial future of the country.
Need to read in chunks to take in and process th infomation

4.0 out of 5 stars When the money runs out, 19 July 2013
This is an entertaining book and well researched, only disappointment was the answers in the final chapters? I would recommend this to all other "PermaBears"

3.0 out of 5 stars Not exactly a spell-binder, 24 Jun 2013
P. W. Burton (Pangbourne Berks.) - See all my reviews
I am really interested in the whole topic of international finance, but this book somehow didn't keep me spellbound, although it is a tough subject on which to keep the reader on the edge of their seat. I think he could perhaps have talked about the dual threat of low growth and higher inflation on the West in more detail.

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting analysis of the problems we face but the proof reading is poor., 28 May 2013
I only really wrote this review because I'm fed up of buying Kindle books and finding the proof reading is so poor - spelling mistakes, words that are obviously incorrect making the meaning hard to work out etc. In fairness this isn't the worst Kindle edition I've had but why should electronic editions suffer from these faults. We pay almost the same price for the ebook as for a conventional book and I don't ever find this problem with paper editions.

1.0 out of 5 stars The book that never came, 6 July 2013
The remarkable thing about this book was its total lack of substance and its limpid transparency. I finished it before I even started it, and found that I simply could not put it down. One asks oneself - What is the point of buying books from Amazon when they don't even materialise?

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

When the Money Runs Out: The End of Western Affluence
When the Money Runs Out: The End of Western Affluence by Stephen D. King (Hardcover - 18 May 2013)