Format: Paperback|Change

on 12 December 2012
I've read a number of books about the Yugoslav conflict, and the more I read, the more I wanted to understand things from the Serbian perspective, which often seems to be missing.

With this in mind, I found this book very interesting, particularly the way it tried to show how the Serbs' turbulent history has influenced the modern Serbian state's attitudes.

It also really helped me to see that ordinary Serbs were not the 'genocidal maniacs' (the author's words, not mine) that some accounts of the wars of the 1990's might lead readers to believe. They were misled and badly let down by their government and became global pariahs as a result.

I particularly liked the updated section on post-war Serbia and the period leading up to the assasination of Zoran Djindic

If I have a criticism, it's that the book seemed to jump around in time, so that it frequently described events out of sequence for the purposes of a story. This could be a bit confusing at times, especially as parts of Serbia's history seem very complex (to me, anyway).
on 20 March 2012
A True Epic. I have always been amazed how this modern war ever occured, even though Europe still chooses to ignore the fact that it DID happen. The break up of Yugoslavia was a disaster and so many lives were lost. This book explains in the greatest detail, the history behind the region, politics and ill feeling amongst its peoples, the result of which led to Armageddon.
on 19 February 2014
found this book fascinating.very informative considering the complexity of the history.also very accessible without sacrificing detail would highly recommend this
on 27 April 2015
The best book out there on the Serbs and the conflict.
on 4 February 2015
A great read, and plenty of history