Format: Hardcover|Change

on 5 March 2013
A friend insisted that I read this. It didn’t sound like my sort of book but I gave it a go and, boy, am I glad I did. It’s hard to describe as there is such variety: stories galore, even jokes woven throughout a wonderful tour of the Jewish people as seen through words and text. . This book is not only for Jews but also for people like me who want to better understand them . I had never realised that text so strongly defines the identity of the Jews. Women feature strongly which interested me.
The authors – father and daughter – don’t always agree but their exchanges are lively and loving
VINE VOICEon 20 October 2013
This is a short and pleasant read, with lots of striking insights into Jewish culture and belief. The two authors describe themselves as atheists in awe of the Bible and its cultural riches. I learnt some new insights into the Bible and it's peppered with humorous quotations like Aleichem's line: 'No matter how bad things get, you got to go on living, even if it kills you.'

I got the hardback copy which makes a good present.
on 18 August 2014
Brilliant book. I can't get to the end because I keep returning to the page, or paragraph, or chapter before because it was so good. Thank you to both authors, the historian and the novelist; I am learning much.
on 12 August 2014
as soon as I finish writing this sentence I am getting back to it......captivating.
on 31 July 2014
Item arrived quickly and as described, excellent read.
on 11 May 2013
I sent this to a friend as a birthday present and they enjoyed the book and was very informative to someone who wanted to know more about their back ground.
on 17 March 2014
The book is almost scientific while it uses too many "high" words and language which makes it (in English at least) difficult
and heavy to read.