5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent short and sweet without compromising
A very good write up on designing and laying out a website. No extra detailed complaints about how bad some websites are and just enough to get the message across without boring me to death.
Published on 19 Aug 2000

3.0 out of 5 stars Needs an update
Good book with some useful information, but it could do with a revision to bring it up to date with current technologies and practices.
Published on 10 Sep 2006 by Jason

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent short and sweet without compromising, 19 Aug 2000
By A Customer
I am building my own amatuer website and this helped a great deal. Explaining the reason for doing something and then telling you how to go about it. I don't mean how to do it technically but being aware of the limitations of the web as a communication medium.
This book is short enough so that you can whiz through it and get down to the more time consuming stuff of actually building the site. Yet detailed enough to provide the relevant information.
I bought "Designing Web Usability" by Jacob Nielsen too. Sure, it looks prettier compared to the black and white of "Web Style Guide" but they say similar things with "Designing Web Usability" just being a book with more colourful examples. I would imagine most netheads would have surfed enough sites by now so that colourful examples are not strictly necessary.

5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect guide for the general rules on web design, 23 Feb 2000
This book is great! It gives you the knowledge you need to build/design your sites. Not a deep technical coding knowledge but, mainly the ideas that surround web correct design and site organisation. As a begginer I was (and allways will be) it fitted perfectly my intention on getting clear ideas about building web sites.

5.0 out of 5 stars Useful companion to any series web designer, 13 Aug 1999
By A Customer
After visiting the Yale site I had to get this book I have read it and refer to it before, during and at the end of all my web related projects. It is so comprehensive, some of those basic rules do apply to basic design, information architecture and layout

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent web design overview, 3 Jan 2004
By A Customer
This book provides an excellent overview of basic design guidelines, for anyone working or wanting to work within the industry. Its common sense, no nonsense style makes it easy to read, yet extremely informative. It covers everything you need to design effective web sites. This includes typography, grid systems, navigation design and content. Its nicely illustarted with examples of good and bad web design.
This is the book to buy if you are studying web design. Forget about Tay Vaughn, borrow Jakob Neilsen from the library, buy this book. You'll refer to it again and again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Clear, practical, and intelligent!, 2 July 1999
By A Customer
If there is one book on web design I'd recommend above all others, it's this one. It speaks to everyone. Technical experts will appreciate how it unlocks creativity and provides fresh insight to web possibilities. Non-tech people like me will breathe a sigh of relief to discover how enjoyable the "nuts and bolts" of web construction can be. You'll be recommending it, too!

5.0 out of 5 stars Stop..., 25 Aug 1999
By A Customer
...before your organisation designs an internet or intranet site, make sure everyone involved has their own personal copy of this book. Don't let anyone build a server, write one line of code or create a single animated gif until they have read it from cover to to cover.

5.0 out of 5 stars the best book on web design, 25 May 1999
By A Customer
When we started our web site 3 years ago, the web version of this book was our main source of inspiration. Our site now receives more than 100,000 visitors per month and was nominated for a 1999 Webby Award in the science category. We just ordered 50 copies for a web design workshop this summer. I am so happy this resource is finally available in print!

5.0 out of 5 stars A must buy!, 23 May 2011
Pedro Fortunato "P Fortunato" (Portugal) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Web Style Guide: Basic Design Principles for Creating Web Sites (Web Style Guide: Basic Design Principles for Creating Web Sites) (Paperback)
This great book is more than a book on webstyle or webdesign. It gives detailed informations on how to plan a website, on how to develop and manage a web project, on web teams and on interface design for the web.
I would recommend this for everyone involved in web projects, either designers, managers, content editors, etc. And both for seasoned developers as well as newbies.

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid, practical information, 10 Jun 2007
One of the most thorough books on Web design. Written in a clear manner and illustrated with examples. Solid, timeless principles that underpin best practice web design. Ideal for beginners and intermediate level. Much more solid information than some of the other highly rated authors in the field. In fact, without actually mentioning any names,I found some of them were rather disappointing - either too simplistic or too obtuse and lacking in examples. And much less value for money! The Web Style Guide could do with a 3rd edition, but this does not detract from its inherent value.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good book for technical and development people, 14 July 1999
By A Customer
As a developer, I found this book great. I did not have much of an idea about layout, design and presentation of a website. This book gave me just the right level of information that I needed in order to make my website easier and more obvious to use for the casual visitor. It also made me think more about the different types of people that use the web, the hardware used by surfers and, most important of all, graphics!
The only thing I think it lacked was examples - there were several example screens from in and around Yale, but not much from elsewhere. It would have been good to see other types of site. It could also have been a bit more indepth in certain places.
Also I think that someone with a technical authoring or training background would not find this book very useful. Still, I did, and great value for money it was too!