1 Review

1.0 out of 5 stars Annotations unusable on Kindle, 4 Mar 2013
The formatting of the text itself seems fine. On a computer, the annotations are bearable to use. On my Kindle 4, they are unusable. This didn't come as a huge surprise, but without the annotations I'd have to go back to a printed book.

First, to see the annotation you have to navigate to the link (I don't have a Kindle touch) -- this isn't so bad. Then, you have to press the button twice -- not great -- and wait for page refresh -- getting painful now. What kills it stone dead is that the back button doesn't work -- it takes me to a completely different page from where I followed the link (always Raffel's "Finding List" for some reason).

It's possible newer versions of the Kindle software don't have the back button problem -- I bought mine about a year ago and don't connect my kindle to the network, since it's a bad idea for every reader on the planet to trust amazon. So the software on my kindle is about a year old. Googling seems to suggest that others have this problem, though. Even without that problem, it's going to be a fairly unpleasant process if you want to read a lot of annotations, as I do for this text (and remember there are often three annotations on a single short line!). What would be ideal would be to see the notes pop up, as the dictionary definitions do for all books. What you actually get is light years away from that.

Without the annotations, I believe the only thing you're getting over the free Project Gutenberg edition is the introductory material. While that's worth having, my main reason for buying this was the annotations.

The Tempest (The Annotated Shakespeare)
The Tempest (The Annotated Shakespeare) by William Shakespeare (Paperback - 21 April 2006)