Format: Paperback|Change

on 12 January 2006
When I was a student of Archaeology I found this book probably my favourite Archaeological text book. In a very clear and concise way but without lacking in any detail it gives a very realistic indication of what Ancient Athens may have looked like. Detailed pictures are offset by Watercolours to help you view the bigger picture. When I took a personal trip to Athens I found the book vastly increased my enjoyment as instead of being bewildered by numerous walls strewn all over the place (The Agora being a great example) I was able to recognise and visualise the different areas. Basically for any student looking for good results this book more than any other enabled me to gain a First at a prestigious University in a module of Ancient Athens.
on 2 December 2013
I've been searching for a long time for a book providing details of key ancient archaeological sites in Athens/Attica, but not in technical way. It was difficult to find history intertwined and its locations, allowing us to understand where happened in what we can recognise today.
This book, with its unassuming cover, is the best combination of archaeology and history that I've come across. It's a powerful book that reads in a simple, straightforward and elegant way. The author has managed to bring it all together: key chapters and characters of Ancient Greece, the evolution of their most important sites, the history of key temples and monuments, what happened to them in their own time, as well as how should we look at each site and its remains today.
It facilitates information that one would have to read entire books to pinpoint, while also highlighting disputes of scholarship on given topics.
The book also offers a wealth of images, diagrams and visual references that perfectly illustrates concepts and ideas described, and some of those are very detailed and would be, again, hard to find and collect from different sources.
I'd go as far as to say this would be a great read for any tourist planning to visit Athens & Attica, as it will provide you with much more interesting information, in an easy-to-read format... it will enrich your visit as you'll be able to visualise the dramatic events that took place in those locations, and recognise in some of the ruins the physical signs of history events.