Format: Hardcover|Change

on 19 February 2016
Another episode of Goldsworthy's Peninsular War series, This one based around the battle of Barossa and the actions around Cadiz. I am impressed with this series, Mr Goldsworthy has developed a series of characters that have depth and also behave plausibly within "period". Not surprisingly, the historical backdrop is well researched and integrated into the story lines. Well worth a read, for both education and entertainment.
on 9 February 2016
Another great read by Mr Goldsworthy,as with the first four books superb story telling a real page turner all the characters are well drawn and the battle scenes are wonderfully described and show the chaotic nature of warfare,i particularly enjoyed the sea battle right up there with Forester and O,Brian,lets hope there will be a book six.
on 17 April 2016
Never read - bought as a present for Christmas, the receiver of the book apparently was ecstatic and read it cover to cover in one sitting during Christmas day
on 4 October 2014
The fifth book in my opinion is the best in the series so far.
The characters are continually well-thought out and the battles well-researched and page-turning. I wouldn't say equal to Bernard Conwell's Sharpe series, but very high up there.
I can't wait to read more of Hanley, Williams, Pringle and the others.

David Cook, author of Liberty or Death (The Soldier Chronicles Book 1),Heart of Oak (The Soldier Chronicles Book 2) and Blood on the Snow (The Soldier Chronicles Book 3)
on 29 August 2014
Very good read well up to the standard of the rest of the series.
on 17 March 2016
Not his best. But still very good indeed.
on 1 November 2014
Great stories, but bad for my Kindle. It keeps smacking the bedside floor when I fall asleep because I read for too long. I think I'll invent a safety net for dropped Kindles... Great work Mr Goldsworthy. Thank You.
on 30 September 2014
I'm totally addicted to this excellent series, the fifth book is as good as the rest, Sharpe is dead and buried, these books prove it. I highly recommend this series to any military buff.
on 29 August 2014
everything spot on
on 9 February 2015
I have not purchased this one yet! Why so expensive, double the price of the other 3. It is a good historical series but not at 9.99